This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying 2nd Hand Bikes

A note for 2nd hand bike buyers, with some suggestions for questions to ask, things to look for:
    • Ask to see the registration papers, and when it is registered until. New laws mean that rego's don't have to be displayed, which means this is something you should check, especially if you get a chance to test ride the bike.
    • Do they have all the keys (generally two std keys and one coding key). Do the research before hand to find how many the bike should come with
    • Does it have the user manual and service history?
    • When was it last serviced? ask for receipts if not in the service history.
    • Check all aftermarket parts, and ask whether the originals are available. If they've been listed, make sure they are actually all there.
    • Check the brakepads and tyre wear, as wear can be used as a bargaining tool.
    • Ask if the bike had been dropped/in an accident. Check to see if there are indicators of this. Normal contact points are bar ends, clutch & brake levers, side fairings, footpegs, bottom of fork legs, swingarm. Look particular for scratches or cracks, or oddly clean/new parts versus the rest of the bike. If it is an uncommon colour scheme, do your research and see if it was released like it, or is a painted or aftermarket fairing set.
    • Check for race preperation, in particular drilled bolts on the brake calipers, oil drain plug and oil filler cap. Should this mean the bike is worth less? No, its just good information to have.
    • Check chain and sprocket wear. A loose or stiff chain generally indicates minimal ongoing maintenance. A worn sprocket means an additional cost to you, so again a possible bargaining tool.
    • Check the clutch play and throttle return. Also check the front and rear brake lever action. Does it feel correct/return smoothly and quickly?
    • Check the fork legs for any indication of oil on them (leaking seals).
    • If a member of PSB, check their posting history. Background information is always good
    • Check to see if there has been any product recalls on the particular model, and then ask if the replacement work has been completed (check here)

Hopefully they will let you take the bike for a test ride (this is entirely their choice). If you get the chance, check for the following;
    • Check tyre pressure before riding too much, as will effect the way the bike feels
    • Excess vibrations through the bars during acceleration and breaking.
    • A sticky throttle.
    • Any weird clicking or ticking noises, either at constant rpm (from something rotating e.g. engine, wheels, chain) or irregular (under braking or acceleration).

Finally, complete a REVS check, to see whether money is owed on the bike (see here)

Above all, ask questions about anything you have any doubts about. If they are serious about selling the bike, they should humor you, and be able to answer everything. If they start to get annoyed or angry, be suspicious. This is something that you are going to trust your life with every time you get on it.

If you don't know what you are looking for in all of the above, have someone you trust, or a qualified mechanic look over the bike for you.

If you've got any additional information to add to the above, please post suggestions
    Last edited by BlackFZR; 16-07-2010, 06:02 AM.
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Stalk there profile. See if they have made threads in the past like "Blown head gasket, what do i do?" and make sure they have fixed it since then. Maybe it might be the reason they're selling it.
    www.youtube.com/brendonv101

Comment

Good advise FZR, other things I have found useful when buying/selling bikes is:

Ask for(or offer) a deposit if a test ride is required, enough to cover insurance excess would be fair.
      If a bike you are looking at has hardly been recently ridden, there is a good chance it will need a new battery.
      Take it to a servo to check tyre pressures, I almost didn't buy my pride & joy because on the test ride it felt like poo
      because of low tyre pressures.
      Ask why they are selling, while most ppl sell due to upgrading/house deposit/no time etc. you don't want to buy someone elses problem.
      Trust your instincts.

Comment

Always make sure they don't owe money on the bike.
        You talk about domination, but have you ever caress her spine with your fingertips, Bedded her for the night, or gotten lost in her beauty?

Comment

REVS check, beaten by T-roy.

You can also search online for product recalls for particular model bikes, the link escapes me though.
          Originally posted by Desmo
          Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Cheers guys, I'll add them to the first post.....
            Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

when I got mine, did a revs check the bike came up as....
              reportable write off/ or stolen
              the plate was CA registered in 2003 (other bike I owned was CR reg in 2008)

I phoned the police to see if listed- nope
              I phoned the DPI to make sure rego legit-all good
              2nd revs check delivered certificate stating no money owing
              then I found out who owned the bike originally- yammi shop in perth who verified the bike had two owners.....no crash- so all good
              Had one of #132 s fellow c graders test ride-check
              had its full set of keys, manuals, service history

Comment

hey nurse if a bike or car is ever reported stolen the police instantly list it with dpi as write off/ or stolen however if it is ever found they do not let them know

Comment

Take a little torch and have a look on the inside of the fairings as much as possible. There shouldn't be any evidence of leaking fluids.

Does it start first time? It may need the choke which is ok. If they have warmed it up before you arrive this might be a sign that it has trouble starting.
                  When due process fails us, we really do live in a world of terror. — JC Denton

Comment

in addition i like to get on the ground and look at the underside of the bike, people like to crush header pipes using too short a ramp when loading bikes into trailers and headers particularly if they are titanium common to late model sport bikes, are expensive
                    Originally posted by Bendito
                    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

I suppose another one is. If you don't know a lot about bikes (or enough to do these checks), ask if it is ok to bring a friend to help check out the bike for you. If not, maybe a mobile mechanic to do a few tests etc..

Especially if your a noobie like me.

Comment

another one to check is the fasteners on the bike, if it looks like they are all original,correct and not damaged (eg :rounded off bolts and damage to screw heads) then the bike probably hasn't been worked on by some body's mate who knows a little bit about bush mechanics.

DJ
                        There are two questions in life.
                        1:Which way do I go
                        2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

Get a motorcyclist friend to ride it and check for chassis twisting. If it doesnt go straight when you take your hands off the handlebars or pulls the chassis may be twisted. My brother almost bought a bike with this problem. My dad rode it and said "no". XD
                          www.youtube.com/brendonv101

Comment

Or find a honest seller like me! i will tell all!
                            I REJECT YOUR REALITY AND SUBSTITUTE MY OWN

Comment

Good advice, thanks to everyone

Does anyone know of someone who is qualified to check out a bike before I buy it. They need to be able to check for everything worth looking at besides just the mechanical aspects. e.g bent frame, electrics etc..

Would a normal RAC check guy be good enough?

Comment

Working...
                              X