Suggestion: New Posts search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: New Posts search

Just a thought, prompted by the MRWA stuff spewing out...

How hard would it be to allow users to opt-in/opt-out of forums being included in the "new posts" search?

Control panel mod: list of forums with a checkbox (default checked on subscription).
    New table: UserForum (uid, fid, watched)
    New Posts search extended to join on that table and only include results where watched=1.

Would make the New Posts (and for those that use it, Live) a fair bit more useful with a lot less wading through crap we don't care about (eg MI / Cruisers / 250 etc)
    "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

We have a new version of PSB Live on beta testing at the moment which has "display only subscribed forums" option to it.

Will look into new posts as well.

Comment

Pretty sure we can exclude the, let me look.

Comment

j00 guize
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Meh, I can easily block forums by ID however the whole checkbox thing would take a decent amount of work.

Comment

Would an advanced search do the job ? Obviously its a multistep process.

You can create a search and only select the forums you wish to search in, then click the "Save Search Preferences" to make things easier though.

Or you can subscribe to what you are interested in and just have the search cover them.

Comment

Will have a play, cheers.

One day (if I ever get some free time) I should check out this vBulletin thing...

Comment

The search function is borked but not sure if this idea had been brought up previously and discarded. How about another option for users to donate a one off amount of their choice to PSB? As well as the $19 and $99 options available.
                Last edited by Jasmineee; 01-05-2011, 03:33 PM.
                BREAKING NEWS!!! The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get Over It. Any complaints about how I operate, can be forwarded to 1-800-waa-wah with Dr. Sniffle reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin!!!

I wonder what this is?

Comment

Jasminee, nice idea, I'll get back to you.

Comment

Nice implementation
                    BREAKING NEWS!!! The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get Over It. Any complaints about how I operate, can be forwarded to 1-800-waa-wah with Dr. Sniffle reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin!!!

I wonder what this is?

Comment

Working...
                    X