This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot find users with zero posts

If I browse through the Members List, I cannot find a mate (i.e. horny675) listed even though I know for certain that he has an account under that name (I did manage to access his details by sending him a message). Even using the search facility fails to find him.

I tried using the advanced search to look for all users with less than one (i.e. zero) posts - none were found. I tried searching for all users with less than two posts and only found users with one post.

If this is a deliberate setting to prevent inactive accounts from cluttering things up, perhaps it should be changed to also consider when they last logged in as well. For example, only filter out users if they also haven't logged in for a number of months.

Alternatively, put an option in the advanced search to allow it to be switch off if desired.
    "The facts are irrelevant" - Arwon

I still can't search for members that haven't made any posts yet...

Comment

Could your mate not just post a "here I am" message right here?
      This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

It's because they don't count.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
          Could your mate not just post a "here I am" message right here?
          While they could do that (and there are ways to locate people anyway if you know how), it doesn't address the underlying problem, it merely attempts to work around it to some degree. And anyway, when I suggest to someone who doesn't have any posts that they should post something in order to become searchable, they just don't do it (presumably for the same reason they haven't posted anything so far).

If, for example, the only way I have to contact someone is my very dodgy memory of their member name and they haven't posted anything yet then I am completely stuffed. If, however, the problem was resolved, I could use the members-list search facility to find and then contact them.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
            That's just cold :o...

Comment

cold but true
              Originally posted by kyliejane
              benjamin is nobodys friend. if benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.
              Originally posted by harns
              Good riders don't need insurance though, they can evade any situation

BUY_MY_BIKE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                +1

This is a forum, not a website. They want to belong they should contribute.
                Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                  +1

This is a forum, not a website. They want to belong they should contribute.
                  Whether or not that is true is really not the point (and an argument for a different forum/thread). This is a real problem and should be fixed with a real solution. And anyway, what better way to get people to participate than (a) including them in the user list and (b) being able to contact them without having to know how to locate the relevant back-doors in the forum's software (assuming you know their exact member name without which it is a lost cause).

Comment

Originally posted by boxertwin View Post
                    Whether or not that is true is really not the point (and an argument for a different forum/thread). This is a real problem and should be fixed with a real solution. And anyway, what better way to get people to participate than (a) including them in the user list and (b) being able to contact them without having to know how to locate the relevant back-doors in the forum's software (assuming you know their exact member name without which it is a lost cause).
                    I rather think that this is a real solution to a real problem. The solution is not to display users if they have never contributed, thereby not showing the people who join up and then decide it is not for them. If people don't contribute they are encouraged to do so by messages from the mods. I would rather it stayed the way it is.
                    Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                      I rather think that this is a real solution to a real problem. The solution is not to display users if they have never contributed, thereby not showing the people who join up and then decide it is not for them. If people don't contribute they are encouraged to do so by messages from the mods. I would rather it stayed the way it is.
                      If you don't want to contact people who haven't contributed yet, don't let me stop you. But do not tell me that isn't a problem for me as it most definitely is. I've put a few people onto PSB and then am unable to find them, even though they assure me they've joined. If you don't have anything constructive to say on the matter then I'm really not sure why you're bothering to say anything at all. Or is this what you call "contributing"?

Comment

I'm a bit confused as to how PSB would be the only way to contact someone - how would you know them on PSB if they've never posted/communicated?

Comment

If you don't have anything constructive to say on the matter then I'm really not sure why you're bothering to say anything at all. Or is this what you call "contributing"?

Comment

I've put a few people onto PSB and then am unable to find them, even though they assure me they've joined.
                            How about asking them to PM you, so that you know who they are when they join? You obviously seem to be able to contact them outside of PSB.
                            Doesn't seem that difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by mark_rattigan View Post
                              I'm a bit confused as to how PSB would be the only way to contact someone - how would you know them on PSB if they've never posted/communicated?
                              I've met PSB members on PSB rides - and not having posted to a forum yet does not prevent someone from reading "In The Loop" and then coming on rides (even if Morgs considers this to be some sort of misuse of the PSB site).

We were all new members who hadn't posted on the forum at some stage. I know some members like to wear the length of their membership and their number of posts as some sort of badge of honour (you know who you are) - but to look down your nose at new members instead of encouraging them is hardly in the long term interests of PSB.

Comment

Working...
                              X