No announcement yet.

Getting to know the new forum software.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting to know the new forum software.

Now, even though i am Admin, Deej and the Uber-Geeks (not a band) have handled the installation of the new forum software from IPB to VB.

What these guys can do amazes me, to transfer the entire data base from one format to another is hard work.

Now, i will be the first to admit that the new VB forum interface is not a s sexy as the IPB one i have noticed that it has HEAPS of much better functions. Especially on the admin and mod side. Belting people with the stick of doom has never been easier.

So, lets all assist one another find their way around the new forum program.

No Thread shitters, i will delete you.

Post up what you see to be the major differences, what youve found to be better and how you do it.

For instance, there is the 'new posts' and the 'view todays posts' functions, which one do you use and is there much difference?

I seem to be just hitting the today posts at the moment.

I use 'new posts'

I miss the user profiles with comment box and visitors list etc. but thats just me.

I know its not as sexy as the old forum, im looking forward to seeing what the funky stuff if.

I noticed you have linked the MotoGP media releases direct to PSB. Thats cool, but annoying cause they all link to pay for look content at motogp.com
    The Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
      For instance, there is the 'new posts' and the 'view todays posts' functions, which one do you use and is there much difference?
      Hello everyone, I'm Rhino.
      Response: Hello Rhino

I don't visit the forum every day, so if I just viewed today's posts, I'd be missing out on some... and that would be a shame right?

'New Posts' for me... so I get everything since my last VISIT.

Where did the 'strikethrough' font formatting go? How am I to be witty yet pointed at the same time now?

Comment

i use the view new posts button mostly, but then there is no "mark all Forums read" button at the top any more...... you have to go out to the main forums again, and then go to the bottom to find it...... other than that, the looks of the forums are down, but i am sure that will change........

Comment

Originally posted by Bulbous View Post
          i use the view new posts button mostly, but then there is no "mark all Forums read" button at the top any more...... you have to go out to the main forums again, and then go to the bottom to find it...... other than that, the looks of the forums are down, but i am sure that will change........
          NO YOU DON'T...just check within the quick links button up top ^^^^
          Originally posted by Viper
          I'm probably fucking something up.
          FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
          Administrator

Comment

I'm pretty sure the old forum used to have the thread topic listed either at the top of each post, or close to the top post in a thread. It was a little easier to read when viewing multiple windows.

Pretty sure it also showed the post date in a different spot/format, which also was a bit easier for working out when something was posted.

I found it a bit easier to read the lists of threads when "view new posts" was used. It also used to show up threads that I had viewed, but that had recent posts, when said button was pushed. (a bit like a combination of the todays posts and view new posts button - at least, I think it was)

I'm sure it will just take a little getting used to tho.
            No amount of genius can overcome a preoccupation to detail.

Comment

Not as sexeh!
              Looks too clinical, too square, too... neat. Less personal.
              First impression, anyway.

Still finding my way around, and fingers are still numb from 7781km to Phillip Island and back, so I may be clicking things when I don't mean to.

My inbox was showing 6 unread PMs from ages ago, as well as 3 new ones. Strange.

"New Posts" for me.
              2006 Yamaha R1SP;
              In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
              Amen, brother. Amen.
              My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Originally posted by hornet View Post

My inbox was showing 6 unread PMs from ages ago, as well as 3 new ones. Strange.

mine did that too, confused me for a sec
                If cleanliness is next to godliness, why was jesus a dirty sandal-wearing beardo?

Comment

The view Today's Posts from under the quick link menu works well as a substitute for the view new posts. However it adds a line *** Posts pasts here have been read already *** or something similiar to that.

I miss having the sub title for threads listed below the thread title instead of thread owner. Takes a bit to get used to the new layout.

Comment

I use new posts button as Todays Posts has to be accessed through Links which is an extra step.

Same as others, miss the full profile, second line of thread (have to remember to add relevant info in the Title) and viewing peeps profiles was interesting wen you could see who had visited their profile.

Comment

VB is the software used on one of the other boards I frequent, and I have to say that you guys have done a much better implementation. About the only suggestions I'd make is that the other board has "Stick this thread to the top" under "Thread Tools" - which is something I've found handy when I want to easily keep an eye on specific threads. Also, it's sometimes handy to be able to switch between linear and threaded modes (they have the Display Mode implemented).
                      "He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice." Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                        Hello everyone, I'm Rhino.
                        Where did the 'strikethrough' font formatting go? How am I to be witty yet pointed at the same time now?
                        +1

Great job though guys, you deserve a pay rise to even bother switching, massive task.
                        www.redbackgraphics.com.au www.crazybitchracing.com www.speedeventseries.com www.letmecheckmygafmeter.com

Comment

Why am I auto subscribed to so many threads?
                          I gotta say, usually when a bit of software gets a new "look and feel" I generally go yuck, then get used to it. I have to say, I'm forcing myself to use the new forum, I really do not like it.

Comment

Can someone please post up the how to stop the forum logging me out all the time.

Other than that its new and will give me the shits till we get used to it

Comment

Just change your password Kev. It will solve the problem i think.

Comment

Working...
                              X