This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BUG: Cannot find users with zero posts

NOTE: This is a bug with the members-list search facility. As indeed I have various ways to work around the bug in certain situations, I do not need any more suggestions to phone them, visit them, email them etc. Unless you are a maintainer of the forum or otherwise able to fix the problem (and not suggest the 100th irrelevant workaround) then this thread is almost certaintly not aimed at you.

If I browse through the Members List, I cannot find a mate (e.g. horny675) listed even though I know for certain that he has an account under that name (I did manage to access his details by sending him a message). Even using the search facility fails to find him.

I tried using the advanced search to look for all users with less than one (i.e. zero) posts - none were found. I tried searching for all users with less than two posts and only found users with one post.

If this is a deliberate setting to prevent inactive accounts from cluttering things up, perhaps it should be changed to also consider when they last logged in as well. For example, only filter out users if they also haven't logged in for a number of months.

Alternatively, put an option in the advanced search to allow it to be switch off if desired.
    "The facts are irrelevant" - Arwon

Ibtl.

Comment

whoop-di-doo

Comment

are you a robot with shiny buttons??

Comment

BMW rider.
          Same same.

Comment

Sorry, i wont be changing this option.

If you really want access to someone profile and they are a friend of yours why don't you add them to your friends/buddy list.

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...hp?do=editlist
            My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
            Motorcycle Panel & Paint
            Q-Zar Fremantle
            Rated-R Parts
            PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
            Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
            CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
            Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

Originally posted by TYSON View Post
              Sorry, i wont be changing this option.

If you really want access to someone profile and they are a friend of yours why don't you add them to your friends/buddy list.

http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...hp?do=editlist
              At last - an answer from the intended audience - thanks .

If you know their exact member name you can do this. But sometimes I might have only just met someone (e.g. on a PSB ride) and cannot remember their username exactly (as I have a really crap memory for names) or did not realise it has some odd spelling. If they are searchable then I can usually find them - but if they haven't posted anything then I am unable to locate them at all.

I certainly appreciate that some issues can arise from what is probably a myriad of people who sign up and then never participate in any way (either on the forum, in rides or anything). But would it be possible to add an advanced search option to allow users with zero posts to be included? This would allow for the people who do or intend to participate with PSB activities who simply haven't contributed to the forums yet. Well, I know it's technically possible - would it be possible to convince someone there to add it? From memory, it should be pretty easy to do this in PHP (although this is not exactly my area of expertise).

Comment

It would be easy enough to do, however it's not something i wish to do. If it can be done via the internal vbulletin plugin system i would do it, but since it will involve editing a query which involves modify the core files of vbulletin i wont be doing it.

This is one of the reasons for the move in software. as it allows 80% of mods to be written without editing the files, so when a security patch is released i can fix the hole in minutes instead of having to rework the mods into the patched file.

When there are over 300 php files that make up this software it can be a pain to manage.
                My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
                Motorcycle Panel & Paint
                Q-Zar Fremantle
                Rated-R Parts
                PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
                Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
                CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
                Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

Originally posted by TYSON View Post
                  It would be easy enough to do, however it's not something i wish to do.
                  As a software engineer, I understand your reasoning only too well. I guess that's that then :mellow:. You may as well close this thread.
                  Last edited by boxertwin; 20-11-2007, 03:51 PM.

Comment

You could always suggest to your friends to start posting on PSB?
                    If you can... you MUST!

Comment

Originally posted by Klink View Post
                      You could always suggest to your friends to start posting on PSB?
                      Thanks - but as I've said over and over again, it's not the point. I really don't need yet another repeat of the various workarounds people have suggested repeatedly (all of which I had already tried or at least considered) that are available in some situations, I want the problem fixed. But as Tyson has said that it's not practical (for reasons I accept fully), that is the end of the matter.

Sorry if I'm sounding a little frustrated - I'm sure you're genuine in your attempt to help, it's just taken a long time to get a meaningful response from someone who maintains PSB (which unfortunately turned out to be in the negative), all the while being bothered by some of PSB's more annoying children.

Please someone - close this thread!!

Comment

Demanding little beemer rider arent you.
                        In complete darkness we are all the same. It is only our knowledge and wisdom that seperate us. Dont let your eyes deceive you.
                        Its the little things that make the difference
                        Originally posted by IPIT on relationships
                        If either/both of you can take a dump with the other person being next to you within a week of meeting them then you're in with a VERY good chance.

Comment

Originally posted by boxertwin View Post
                          Thanks - but as I've said over and over again, it's not the point. I really don't need yet another repeat of the various workarounds people have suggested repeatedly (all of which I had already tried or at least considered) that are available in some situations, I want the problem fixed. But as Tyson has said that it's not practical (for reasons I accept fully), that is the end of the matter.

Sorry if I'm sounding a little frustrated - I'm sure you're genuine in your attempt to help, it's just taken a long time to get a meaningful response from someone who maintains PSB (which unfortunately turned out to be in the negative), all the while being bothered by some of PSB's more annoying children.

Please someone - close this thread!!
                          So I am an annoying child am I?

I simply explained why it is not considered in the interests of the forum to display users who have never contributed to PSB. You have had various polite suggestions about how to get around the situation, which will not change, including from the Admins themselves, and still you claim that it is everyone else who has the problem.

It is not, the problem is with you, so having been polite to you in my explanation, I will now tell you what I think.

STFU RETARD.
                          Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                            So I am an annoying child am I?

It is not, the problem is with you, so having been polite to you in my explanation, I will now tell you what I think.

STFU RETARD.
                            No, you couldn't possibly be an annoying child. I wasn't even referring you - but if the cap fits...
                            Last edited by boxertwin; 20-11-2007, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aphex View Post
                              Demanding little beemer rider arent you.
                              Originally posted by boxertwin View Post
                              if the cap fits...
                              Originally posted by Morgs View Post
                              STFU RETARD.
                              Fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X