Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

? for scooter riders

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ? for scooter riders

    On motorcycles I've always subscribed to lane position that takes ownership of the road I'm on.

    Is this still an acceptable strategy when riding a 50cc scoot at say 55kmh in a 70kmh zone?


    Posted via Mobile Device
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

  • #2
    As far as my understanding of it goes, on single lane roads is that If you are able to do the speed limit then you own your lane, if you can't do the speed limit then you stay left to allow other vehicles to pass when they see fit (not necessarily when it's safe though). If it was a duel carriageway then even if I couldn't do the speed limit I would still stay in the right wheel track of the left lane since people can still pass but they also have less chance of running you off the road.
    Originally Posted by Maxo
    do people around you constantly wear their palm on their face?
    to Butters

    Comment


    • #3
      I thought even push bikes had the whole lane ? (as in you have to indicate and go around)
      Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
        I thought even push bikes had the whole lane ? (as in you have to indicate and go around)
        you only indicate when changing lanes, so only if you cross the lines would you have to, sorta like changing wheel tracks on a motorbike you dont need to indicate
        Master of the missed signals

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Gixxerguy View Post
          As far as my understanding of it goes, on single lane roads is that If you are able to do the speed limit then you own your lane, if you can't do the speed limit then you stay left to allow other vehicles to pass when they see fit (not necessarily when it's safe though). If it was a duel carriageway then even if I couldn't do the speed limit I would still stay in the right wheel track of the left lane since people can still pass but they also have less chance of running you off the road.
          When I'm fanging around on my scoot, I subscribe to this rule.. ^_^
          Come and see us in the 2011 Avon Descent - we're racing boat #234 !

          Comment


          • #6
            Technically yes... Though reality is often different.

            I would be asking 50cc scoots to take an alternative route that did not involve roads where they cannot do anywhere near the speed limit, rather than taking ownership of lanes.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by padfoot View Post
              Technically yes... Though reality is often different.

              I would be asking 50cc scoots to take an alternative route that did not involve roads where they cannot do anywhere near the speed limit, rather than taking ownership of lanes.
              bingo.

              but it depends on the traffic and the road. On Stirling Hwy for eg, you would be committing suicide if you hug the gutter because cars would fly past your way too close. I'd stick in the left lane to the right of the oil in that instance.

              But on a 50cc scoot, I think you are obliged to keep off the faster roads whenever possible.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kenty View Post
                you only indicate when changing lanes, so only if you cross the lines would you have to, sorta like changing wheel tracks on a motorbike you dont need to indicate
                Not so, if your vehicle is moving more that 1m sideways (like overtaking a pushy)
                you would be expected to look/signal. This is taught to new car drivers to stop them
                squashing kamikaze scooter riders.

                Posted via Mobile Device

                Comment


                • #9
                  I didnt know 50cc scooter would even be allowed on the road, as I believe you cant take a peewee or crotchrocket on the road

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X