A Little Honda History lesson needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Honda History lesson needed

Id like to know more about these two bikes please......

Specifically the RC45

RC30

What makes these two so good. Who rode 'em? Famous for? Good points and bad.
    Originally posted by Red_is_Best
    hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Paging Spock.

Anything I could tell you would be eclipsed by what Spock would know about them.

FWIW, they are the homologation specials from Honda's racing and WSBK campaign, and were never offered as base models. The RC30 was the original bike released to take on WSBK. It was based on the already successful RVF endurance bike. The RC45 was a replacement for the RC30 once it was getting on a bit.

Fred Merkel won with the RC30 on WSBKs debut, and followed it up with a second championship the year after. John Kocinski also took a win later on the RC45, shortly before it was phased out for the SP1.

They were also used extensively for endurance racing, and quite famously at IOMTT. It was Joey Dunlop's bike of choice, as well as plenty of others who've won the TT. The final record on Nordschliefe when it was used for racing was set by Helmut Dahl, another big name in endurance racing, on an RC30.

Beyond the racing victories though... they're Honda V4 racing homologation specials. Every bit's lovingly crafted. They're limited edition, superb handling, gorgeous bikes. What's not to love?
    Insert witty comment here

Comment

Was it one of these that had the oval cylinders? I forget.
      '====
      //`
      -Magilla
      They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
      Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

NR750 think had the oval pistons...

RC30 at the time was Superbike on the Road - BASIC SUMMARY
        Also seem to be a darn good investment at the moment, value going up!!

Comment

Yeah, 'twas the NR with the oval pistons. 2 conrods & 8 valves per piston. Worth a bajillion dollars nowadays due to the rarity (I think in the $2M range).

Comment

Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
            NR750 think had the oval pistons..
            Yep correct NR750 Specs Awesome bit of kit, pity they stopped development just as they were sorting the problems out
            #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
            Originally posted by Phildo
            Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
            Originally posted by filbert
            i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
            Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

I have a video at home (Still, I hope) of a certain Malcolm Campbell winning a race on the NR750 against two 1000cc yamahas at Calder Park with Rob McElnea and I think Michael Dowson from Bunbury in the Swann Series(?).

Was great racing and I think the only race victory for the bike and who better to be piloting it than Mr Campbell.
              They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

they had an rc30 down at causeway about a year ago, $25-$30K i think?
                Our Father, Who art at Phillip Island, Hallowed be thy name
                Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done
                In the backroads as it is on the freeway
                Give us this day our high-octane premium fuel
                And forgive us our lanesplitting
                As we forgive the four wheel drives, the volvos and the taxis
                And lead us not into gravel corners
                But deliver us from hand-held radars
                For thine is thy leather, thy denim, thy Gore-Tex and thy Kevlar
                Amen ORIGINAL POST BY DEB

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson View Post
                  FWIW, they are the homologation specials from Honda's racing and WSBK campaign.
                  This is all you need to know. They are Halo bikes, the same as the 0W02.
                  Think D16, the "R" series of Ducati bikes etc, or the RS200 in car terms. They are genuine homologation specials; race vehicles with lights.
                  Unfortunately you don't get many homologation specials any more, the closest you get is a mass produced "Ltd Ed" bikes a'la the Repsol blades.

EDIT: The 0W02 must be the most beautiful homologation bike ever.

Comment

I bought a new RC45 in 1998 and seem to remember it cost a ridiculous amount of money like 19,000 pounds in the UK. And this was when 19k was still a reasonable amount of money.

My principle memories of it are a farcically high first gear that made it almost useless in town and a rapacious appetite for fuel. I had a GSX-R1100W before it and the RC45 was inferior in just about all respects apart from being a conspicuous visual indication of how much money I had to waste on bikes. When I sold it after six months the guy who bought it crashed it at the bottom of my street as he rode away.

Comment

Originally posted by magwitch View Post
                      My principle memories of it are a farcically high first gear that made it almost useless in town and a rapacious appetite for fuel. I had a GSX-R1100W before it and the RC45 was inferior in just about all respects apart from being a conspicuous visual indication of how much money I had to waste on bikes. When I sold it after six months the guy who bought it crashed it at the bottom of my street as he rode away.
                      Dont think the RC45 was as popular or dominant in racing either??

Good old GSXR1100W, nice bit of kit!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jules_1972 View Post
                        Dont think the RC45 was as popular or dominant in racing either??

Good old GSXR1100W, nice bit of kit!!!!
                        Johnny K won WSBK on it in 97 but they had to ditch the single sided swing arm to do it. See Foggy's autobiography for an unflinching examination of everything that was wrong with the RC45.

Comment

They are better than a Land rover.
                          Originally posted by Desmo
                          Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Lucky enough to have had the chance to ride one. Certainly has character.

HONDA VFR750R RC30
                            Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Originally posted by Desmogod View Post
                              The 0W02 must be the most beautiful homologation bike ever.
                              I'll run with that. That was a gorgeous machine. It was such a shame they had a "it didn't win on launch and is therefore a total failure. You're all fired" approach.

It probably had the smallest production run of a homologation bike as well, didn't it?

Originally posted by magwitch View Post
                              See Foggy's autobiography for an unflinching examination of everything that was wrong with the RC45.
                              While I don't really have much time for anything Foggy has to say, I'll try and track this down out of genuine curiosity.

The gearing on the RC45 isn't unexpected. The bike was made so that privateers could buy them, rip the lights off, and go racing. My NC30 goes to 110km/h in first. It's a 60hp 400. The R6 goes to 90km/h in first.

I believe, from the significant amount of forum trawling I've done over time, that a few (expensive) HRC bolt on bits saw the RC45 putting down in the order of 140-150hp at the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                              X