Honda Motogp clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda Motogp clutch

Well its a slow night on the net. Whilst trawling the other week I came across this article- http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/raci...da-dct-motogp/ on a new clutch system being used by Honda. With no details really given (surprise surprise), though Casey Stoner did talk briefly about it here - Casey Stoner hails new Honda gearbox - | Motorcycle Sport | MotoGP News | MotoGP Results | MCN I was basically wanting to no if any of you teck heads could unravel the mechanical mystery or shed some light on the topic??

Accused of developing and using a dual-clutch transmission (DCT) by the Italian press, Honda has come under scrutiny for using a technology that is banned in GP racing. While it’s true that Honda was the first to develop a DCT for a production motorcycle (the VFR1200F), the Japanese company has come clean in order to dispel any rumors that it is cheating in the pinnacle of motorcycle racing. While not using a DCT, Honda says it has developed a new transmission that is in compliance with MotoGP regulations, and produces extremely quick gear changes, like a dual-clutch transmission.

“Obviously HRC is not using anything illegal, but it’s true that we have something new on the transmission that currently…allows for faster gear changes,” said Honda Racing Corporation boss Shuhei Nakamoto. “We are not talking about a DCT, but I can’t tell you how it works…because I don’t know!” said Nakamoto coyly to the assembled press with a laugh.
    "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

"but I can't tell you how it works...because I don't know"
    The faster you go, the slower you age.

Comment

Gearbox - Google Patent Search enjoy

Comment

I still find it funny that they have regs in prototype racing.
        Fair enough on engine size, but isn't innovation what this sport is about?

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
          It does seem counter intuitive to say no to new developments. On the flip side I guess they are trying to keep it down to earth rather than whats happening in the F1.
          "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

Comment

Hmmm, interesting..... I'm thinking that like a dct the next gear is already engaged, but with one clutch pack only.... Very clever either way....

And yeah, I would like to see less rules. "your bike must have two wheels, only the rear can have driving power, the engine must be less than 1000cc. Have fun, see you at round 1"
            The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

clikyforasneakatacouldbegearbox

Comment

Very cool and an impressive resume

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                  regs can encourage innovation.

if something has been developed and perfected, ban it. I do however think there should be a minimum of 3-5 years before new tech can be banned, to enable it to be properly developed - by multiple manufacturers.

once the tech has been perfected and developed to race-winning machinery, the work to advance the sport has already been done; ban it, release it to production machinery and move on to develop something else (for a competitive advantage) that hasn't been banned yet.

this is how nascar operate: on the face of it they're pushrod v8s with carbs.

however - there's a shit-load of high tech R&D that goes into them to improve performance within the limited regulations they have. there's no way we'd have pushrod motors turning 8-9,000 rpm for 500 miles with average speeds of 200+ mph otherwise.

F1 is a prime example. engines get smaller, aerodynamics get more restrictive, active suspension, etc gets banned. they still get faster.

without any regs, we'd end up with bikes / cars that are too fast for humans to drive/ride. the tech is already there to make things un-drivable - even back in the 80s in F1 drivers were getting shoulders dislocated in corners, etc (i believe tracks this happened at such as hockenheim have been modified to reduce the speed on such corners in addition to the aero restrictions, etc). never mind group B rally. the human is the weak link.
                  Last edited by thro; 18-03-2011, 01:52 AM.
                  “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

The awesome part about this, it will eventually leak, the other manufacturers will start making it and the hero bikes R1/CBR1000/1198R/ blah blah all the top end sports bikes will probably see it in 2-4 years. Which is good for us!

Comment

Leak? The tech is already known about.... There are companies making and selling these gear boxes... It's not new at all, just new to bikes.... It's worth a half a fuck all of a second, it's only real advantage is shifting whilst leaning/ changing direction etc.... Giving the rider confidence more than any real time or speed advantage...

Comment

So your saying it'll be a $2500 option on all the new bikes then and all the "hardcore street" riders will wander around talking about it endlessly?

Comment

Working...
                        X