Are bikes hard to sell at the moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are bikes hard to sell at the moment?

A few of my mates have been trying to sell their bikes (Harleys) with no luck and believe its the economy.
    Anyone else having problems getting rid of their old ride?
    Triumph Rocket
    Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
    XT 250 Yamaha
    SYM HD200
    SYM Shark 125

First i've heard of it..

You sure it isn't the bike?

Comment

Depends how keen u r to sell, a keen price should result in a quick sale . . .

Comment

Depends on market segment, bike, price... bit hard to make generalisations. I am having trouble selling a bike, but wouldn't then draw the conclusion that the market is dead.

Comment

No point on a keen price, if the bike is worth the dollars, just wait, there is always a buyer for quality, realistic quality!

Comment

Harleys are interesting. Supposed to be pretty much the only bike that doesn't devalue the moment you walk out the store. But then the value of a bike is only as much as people are willing to pay for it.
            Harleys aren't cheap, and they definitely aren't a bike you can normally buy without some deep ass pockets.
            But is the bike market as a whole dead? I would say no. I've been keeping an eye on a couple dealer used bikes that just recently arrived. They're all gone now.
            If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided.

Comment

quads are definitely hard to sell at the moment. though they are difficult to sell at the best of times

Comment

sold my ZXR within a week of posting it about 6 weeks back- maybe people just dont want to buy harley's?

Comment

took ages to sell my VT250 and still haven't sold my RGV

both i think were VERY reasonably priced and were in great knick
                  "It's the F*#king Catalina wine mixer"

Comment

Never had trouble selling my 05 Train paid 28k for it sold it 3 years later for 26k ,there was a demand for good harleys then,if its priced right it will sell

Comment

Originally posted by thugsfatboy464 View Post
                      05 Train paid 28k for it sold it 3 years later for 26k
                      This is why they take awhile to sell, and why I go for the new ones, 2k difference is enough for me to skip the 2nd hand one and go new, sure they have extra parts and bling but id rather choose my own mods, so its often a matter of waiting for the buyer who wants that particular model, color and mods
                      National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

The issue may have something to do with the value for the Aussie dollar, now that it is on Parity?
                        E.g. a brand new 2011, 883 super low can be bought for $12,500.
                        people who purchased a new sporty from say 2005, probably paid $16,000.
                        They are now asking $12,000 for a second hand bike.
                        I know what I would buy.
                        But it's not just Harleys, I was looking at a Hyo last year fro $6500.
                        and there are currently a few 2010 ones on the second hand market for $5,200.
                        There was a brand new 2010 model GT 250 for $4990, last week, including on roads!!
                        People who are trying to sell, can either wait for a buyer to come along and pay what they are asking, of if they are more motivated to sell, ask what the market will pay.
                        I still believe we pay far too much for motor vehicles in Australia, especially bikes, as there is no local manufacturer to protect, unlike the car industry.

Comment

You want a bike to sell fast...post up a price people cant say no to! both bikes i sold on here went within two days!

Comment

My 2c worth is that WA is a very affluent State and people have never had so much money to spend as they do today.

Consequently people can't be bothered buying second hand and are not concerned about spending a few thousand dollars more to buy new. Nor are they concerned about the depreciation hit a new bike takes the minute it's ridden off the showroom floor.

On that note, I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read about people whining about having to pay the flood levy to help those less fortunate than themselves.
                            "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

I see a lot of people well over pricing average bikes, because 'its theirs, and theyve taken heaps better care of it than everyone else mate'. I've never really had trouble shifting my bikes because I think I price them quite reasonably.

Comment

Working...
                              X