Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not wanted to hear on my R1

Hi everyone,

Just installed a new battery on my 04 R1, very excited about getting to ride it, turned the key, pressed start but the it won't turn over!
    Checked all connections were firm and even checked there was fuel but still no result. After speaking to a few mechanics & service departments all are hinting it could be the starter motor.

Just wanted to know, is this a common problem with the R1? What is the shelf life of a starter motor??
    Called a few places to suss out the price and they're NOT CHEAP!:o

Without any back story its hard to diagnose your bike what happened to make you replace the battery?
    Also i have seen idiots put dry batterys in bikes before so make sure the battery is wet and has charge!

Comment

Have you charged the battery?
      Checked your fuses?

Comment

kill switch?
        Home is where the Art is.

Comment

Any clicking noises? Do the lights come on? If they do, do they then dim when you press the starter button?

Fuel won't help you if it won't turn over.

Edit: also, what fatoxious said.
          '====
          //`
          -Magilla
          They observe my perambulations upon my gyroscopically-balanced personal transportation device, and I perceive at my core that they have thus concluded that I am Caucasian, and, while intelligent, I am also somewhat socially inept. - Peculiar Alfred
          Eligible to shadow R & R-E NOW

Comment

Did you get the old battery load tested to check it was fubar? Or just assumed when it didn't start?
            Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
            1985 - 2009

Comment

Originally posted by fatoxious View Post
              kill switch?
              Oh I hope it is.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakerFreaker View Post
                After speaking to a few mechanics & service departments all are hinting it could be the starter motor.
                Their opinion is based on what you have told them, not any real tests to diagnose it.

Start with the basics and work forwards.

Battery voltage? Does headlight light up and the horn go beep with the ignition on?
                Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

I bought a new battery and on the packaging it says it's charged ready to go.

I had some LED's installed on the bike that drained the previous battery (never do that again), so this time round I've disconnected all the LED's and just hooked it up, I also have a power commander installed but that shouldn't make much of a difference?

I'm not technically bike savy unfortunately.

Comment

Red to + and black to - ?
                    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Yes I checked the kill switch - all good.

The lights come on, the high beam is also good but the bike just won't turn over. On the old battery there was a clicking noise, however with this new battery the noise is non existant.

I still have a few options;
                      Roll starting: which could be a bit hard since there are no slopes/hills around my area
                      Tapping the starter motor with a hammer: thoughts?

btw thanks for your help everyone.

Comment

Does the dash and lights come on? Does it make any whirring or clicking noises?
                        Have you checked your killswitch?

Edit: charge your battery.

Comment

try a different key, key could have lost its info

no clicking noise is the starter relay check that
                          Last edited by Halo_2; 16-03-2011, 11:00 AM.
                          "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Bikes use a different starter mechanism to cars, tapping it won't do anything.
                            If you aren't hearing a click from your solenoid something is wrong.
                            Not in gear is it?

Comment

EDIT: Are you holding the clutch in to start it? Might have knocked the little switch off behind the clutch which would explain why it's making no noise at all.
                              Riding for Cameron Elliott #52
                              1985 - 2009

Comment

Working...
                              X