Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250 re-sale value opinions???

Hi all

I was just wanting to know what everybody's opinions are on what the resale value of 250's in general are going to be after the new cbr250's are released/re-sold after a year???

The reason I ask this is (besides the fact i bought one) is that i couldnt justify buying a 1 or 2 year old ninja for a similar price or a 3 year old hyosung for $4000 odd dollars or a 15 year old cbr with 70000k's on the clock for $6k etc etc when i could buy a brand new 0km bike (or a couple of k's on it i assume) for $6000...

I know everybody is not a fan of the new cbr's with the single cylinder etc but im sure theyre either going to hold their value well, are going to lose their value OR its going to push down the prices of the older counterparts... something has to budge. what do you think?

Hoons liked the old ones for the extra couple of horsepower and 4 cylinders to deafen people at 20000rpm. The new cbr is a totally different bike. It looks like a ninja, and probably sounds like an ag bike. I think the only thing that might hold value is the honda badges, otherwise it's not gonna be worth much in a year or two. V-twin for the win!
    Giggity.

Comment

My vote is that the new CBR after 1 year will probably sell between $4k-$5k, depending on how it's been treated. I doubt it will have a *substantial* impact on the old CBRs market value as like Mike said - they're completely different bikes. I think the only real difference you'll see is that people will no longer get away with selling old CBR's for >$5k (which I think is rather ridiculous!).
      I came here to drink milk and kick arse... And I'm all out of milk

Comment

You'll lose a couple grand and be selling it against my CBF 250 which, consequently, won't be worth spit on the second hand market anymore.

You'll still undercut most if not all of the Jap faired 250s so you should do ok. You'll be counting on the Honda badge and rep to overcome the better specs (I'm pretty sure) and worse reputation of the Hyosungs.

I'm gonna probably gonna keep my CBF forever. Away from the freeway I can't really imagine a better budget commuter. That is how you will get real value out of yours too. If you're buying new only to sell it in a year you are always going to take a big hit.
        Originally posted by JIM.55
        knowlage dosnt always trumph

Comment

How well do 250s hold their value in general, compared to bigger bikes?

Does the regular short term requirement for a 250 (for new riders) result in better or worse holding of value?

prk.

Comment

There is a pretty steady influx of new 250 bikes (when I was starting out I knew nothing about second hand bikes and felt a lot more comfortable with a new machine). Combined with, probably, a majority of people upgrading once their 12 months is up.

Supply of year old 250's is high, so prices suffer.

If you buy a 10/15 year old Jap 250, and you don't get stung with a lemon, you probably won't lose any money at all.

Don't really know if it is better or worse than the big bike market. People seem to take a pretty big hit trying to shift a 600 or 1000 with 10,000ks too.

Take advantage of the market and get a year old VTR/Ninja with fuck all ks and a good discount.
            Originally posted by JIM.55
            knowlage dosnt always trumph

Comment

i would have thought you will probably take a bigger hit when/if LAMs comes in to effect.

Comment

Trouble is he's already forked out his money

People should ride a few bikes before sealing the deal, you'll get pretty sick of it quickly IMHO

People take a big hit when selling to upgrade as they aren't asking realistic values to start with IMHO

Comment

I am starting to think I am going to be stuck with my 250 for a while, as I won't be able to sell it near what I paid at purchase. We'll wait and see!
                  Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
                  Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

like any vehicle from new you'll lose 20-30% of what you paid in the first year, and that's without doing any damage.
                    The numbers are smaller compared against the big bikes but if you expect to lose less than $1000 you're either fooling yourself or ripping some poor bugger off.
                    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutiny! View Post
                      Take advantage of the market and get a year old VTR/Ninja with fuck all ks and a good discount.
                      but thats the thing, a year old ninja is roughly the same price as a brand new cbr and the cbr on paper beats the ninja in almost every aspect so it makes sense to get the cbr...and that made me think that ninjas will have to devalue a lot because if the cbr's do end up being decent people are going to buy a new cbr instead of a second hand ninja

guess we'll have to wait and see

Comment

In what ways will the CBR beat the ninja?

While they may be near the same price now, in another year the second hand bike will sell for closer to it's current price than the new CBR.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve-o View Post
                          but thats the thing, a year old ninja is roughly the same price as a brand new cbr and the cbr on paper beats the ninja in almost every aspect so it makes sense to get the cbr...and that made me think that ninjas will have to devalue a lot because if the cbr's do end up being decent people are going to buy a new cbr instead of a second hand ninja

guess we'll have to wait and see
                          I'd have to respectfully disagree with you regarding the CBR being better on paper. 4 cylinder Ninja vs 1 cylinder CBR? and the Ninja also has a 30% power advantage over the CBR (albeit a tiny little bit less torque). ABS brakes on the CBR - sure, but only if you opted to pay extra for them!

I've seen year old ninjas for sale around the $5k mark - that's over a grand cheaper than the new CBR and then you aren't going to take as big a depreciation hit in the next year. If you bought the new CBR in the hopes you wouldn't lose much in 12 months, I have a feeling you'll be disappointed :mellow:

Edit: beaten by PBF!
                          I came here to drink milk and kick arse... And I'm all out of milk

Comment

Originally posted by Martin1 View Post
                            i would have thought you will probably take a bigger hit when/if LAMs comes in to effect.
                            Is there any indication LAMs (or equivalent) is being planned for WA?

prk.

Comment

Originally posted by devolved View Post
                              I am starting to think I am going to be stuck with my 250 for a while, as I won't be able to sell it near what I paid at purchase. We'll wait and see!
                              Tell me about it

prk.

Comment

Working...
                              X