Walking bike to Practical R-E test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking bike to Practical R-E test

I live 3km from Welshpool licensing centre... I rang them today and the person I spoke with said that I could walk the bike there and it would be ok with the instructor. He apparently called a lady at welshpool and she confirmed that it would be ok to walk it there also... I have heard of stories of people failing and things from having no instructor with them.

What is the go with this? If the engine is still cold when I get there would it be ok to tell him to feel the bike? What happens if I have to push start my bike because the battery is a bit low to get it warmed up - I can do this beforehand without them looking and turn it off and then electric start it no problems, but then the motor is warm.
    Originally posted by darkfibre
    Just sync the oil changes with her monthly cycle and get all the grumpyness over with, leaving the rest of the month clear sailing.

Why don't you just get someone to shadow you down?
    Originally posted by Melkor
    The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

Well they won't be able to prove you didn't walk it there. You may get a douchebag instructor who takes it upon himself to fail you though if he suspects in his own mind that you rode there. So long as you ride well in your test though you should be fine.

EDIT: Fuck pushing a bike 3km though.

Comment

If your test is before 8am I can shadow you

Comment

You can't walk it, under the Road traffic act you are deemed to be "in control" of the vehicle. If you get caught you can be done for riding without a license.

Comment

Years ago I used to push a dirt bike around, it was legal to do so if the engine was cold and the bike could not be operated (used to take plug lead off) but that was a long time ago.

Just ask for a shadow, it will save you a lot of effort!

Comment

Dude seriously? - take up the shadow offers.
              Its all good on Ducati's

Comment

Yeah, 3km might be further than you think. I had to push my 650 for a k or two after running out of fuel and I was fucked. Up a few hills though (then sitting in the saddle rolling down the hill on the footpath in an incredibly illegal manoeuvre).

Whatever you do, don't ride it to a carpark around the corner from the licencing centre, leave it for half an hour while you go get a snack, then re-attach your L plates and push it the last 200m.
                Originally posted by JIM.55
                knowlage dosnt always trumph

Comment

Cool that fixes it, thanks Bendito, pm sent. Hopefully can finally get my licence... check out how long I have been a member and had my learners for :/
                  Just sync the oil changes with her monthly cycle and get all the grumpyness over with, leaving the rest of the month clear sailing.

Comment

Originally posted by Mutiny! View Post
                    Whatever you do, don't ride it to a carpark around the corner from the licencing centre, leave it for half an hour while you go get a snack, then re-attach your L plates and push it the last 200m.
                    ...I see what you did there

Comment

Yeah pushing a bike ain't fun, especially with gear on etc had to push for about 1.5 ks last summer pretty dehydrated myself. So definately seek a shadow am good luck for your test

Comment

Thanks mate, hopefully my bike survives it... took it to Dwellingup on the weekend with "Mufasa"... had a ball of a time, thanks Peter!

Will be studying guides and checking out youtube every night before I go. I figure I just have to learn lane positioning more and perhaps practice some braking on the day before and in the morning.

Comment

congratulations on the commitment.
                          I hope you are just as committed to not becomming just one more first-time-rider who has no full understanding of hisor anyone elses sahety on the rode
                          luck with test

Comment

Originally posted by SEROW View Post
                            Thanks mate, hopefully my bike survives it... took it to Dwellingup on the weekend with "Mufasa"... had a ball of a time, thanks Peter!

Will be studying guides and checking out youtube every night before I go. I figure I just have to learn lane positioning more and perhaps practice some braking on the day before and in the morning.
                            Mate, i would recommend hiring a professional instructor for at least one lesson - its only like $60 an hour and it will teach you about lane positioning, and he will more than likely tell you if you are going to pass.

Steve

Comment

i have a newish battery just sitting here if u want to borrow it ? i can probably get my dad to take it to work with him in kewdale to make it easier.

Comment

Working...
                              X