Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting a peg whilst cornering...

Hi

The last few weeks I've been cornering a bit faster as I'm getting more used to the handling of the bike and what not, but today on 2 occasions mid corner the foot peg on my bike has scraped. I read on another thread this can be due to weight positioning.

Can someone explain how and where to shift your weight to improve cornering?

Could this also be something to do with the bike. AFAIK the suspension is still good.

Just hoping to improve my riding

Cheers
    It may be illegal, but that doesn't make it wrong

Half arsed - literally - hang half your arse of the seat towards the inside of the coarner - lean you head towards the inside of the corner too... knee goes out

if you draw a centreline lenghtwise alone your foot the point of the peg should be positioned on it - just adjacent to the ball at the front of your foot - allows your leg to pivot much more freely

Get a copy of 'twist of the wrist' too - much more detailed explanations there

If you go to the track you will want to learn to position the top of your body much more aggressively compared to road riding too.

Comment

YouTube - body positioning

YouTube - body positioning 2

Comment

The main point about body positioning is that it allows you to keep the bike more upright = more tyre surface area on road = win. Hitting pegs does things like potentially unload your suspension and you end up on your arse = not so awesome.

Comment

Cheers guys. Ill try and introduce some of that into my cornering and hopefully improve my cornering. Had a feeling i was doing something wrong lol.

Twist the wrist. Thats a book i assume?

Comment

yup, a book, and also a DVD (or maybe a couple, I can't remember).
            For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
            For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
              yup, a book, and also a DVD (or maybe a couple, I can't remember).
              Two books and two DVD's.

I wouldn't stress too much about slightly scraping a peg on 250's, I had the issue many times on the ninja 250 and never ended up on the road. The pegs are positioned for a less aggressive riding position when compared to a bigger sports bike and will touch with less lean angle, handy for learning limitations.

Body position is basically to shift weight in the direction you want to turn, allowing you to have the bike more upright giving you more tire on the road at similar speed and also allows you to take a corner at greater speed if required.
              We are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride.

Comment

if you are heavy and you ride the 06 model you can even scrape your kick stand. by just slightly leaning over to the left. (means you require a very light pillion)
                Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

You can move the rearsets up to the high mount point too, I did that and removed the rubber peg covers as they were a pain to pivot your foot on. You'll need to adjust the gear shifter too but it's easy enough to do. Never had any problems with pegs scraping after that.
                  Giggity.

Comment

All good advice but no-one has suggested filing the pegs to half their length - that is the first thing you should be doing.
                    Originally posted by Koola
                    Someone sig this.

Comment

Originally posted by Murley View Post
                      All good advice but no-one has suggested filing the pegs to half their length - that is the first thing you should be doing.
                      I thought it was implied that you'd be doing this using the road.
                      I was the best, you all knew it / on the days I cared at all
                      You can all say I blew it / you'll be talkin 'bout me for years

Comment

Dude footpegs scraping a little = fun + Sparks. Footpegs scraping a lot = bike going down the road. Go practice on a trackday with an instructor.
                        You put the c*nt in country run

Comment

Ill try shufting my weight around a bit and see how that goes. Trackday is something i wanna do soon aswell. I just found out heading up north for work for a few wks so i gotta wait till i get back.

Comment

Jakewaze, where do you live? if you want you can have my copy of Twist (the first book). I read it but .........mmmmmm

Comment

Do an advanced riding day at ahg or better a trackday at Barbs, get the experts to teach you the correct method

Comment

Working...
                              X