MotoGP Phillip Island 2011 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MotoGP Phillip Island 2011 question

My girlfriend and I have decided to take the plunge and watch Casey burn it up around Lukey Heights. There is a twist. We will land in Sydney and ride to Phillip Island. My question is has anyone done the ride from Sydney to Melbourne and if so are there any particular roads that you would recommend, sites to see etc. Cheers for any input.

I'd suggest you sign up to a eastern states forum and ask they question, there is also usually a GP "official tour" run buy Australian Motorcycle tours although there are quiet a few $$$ involved. The forum associated with the two wheels magazine isn't too bad although a bit small (nothing like PS but got plenty of riders that actually ride.
    Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

[ (nothing like PS but got plenty of riders that actually ride.[/QUOTE]

yeah my thoughts exactly
      Rg 500 85
      cr 500 01
      vtr1000 sp1 00
      oto 1/8 06

Comment

PM Chew,

i think he did this last year (or every year?).

Comment

Has anyone done the ride from Perth to the island?? Im doing it this year with a mate (its gonna HURT) would love to know someone who has done the trek, ideally we will head south from Perth and do the whilste stop tour along the southern coast of australia..... *god help me* think im going to need a bigger bike that the 600rr :|

Comment

Haha Abaddon we are also riding back from Phillip Island to Perth but I didn't want to mention that because that's just straight forward riding. Just gotta be careful in a few spots concerning wildlife and don't ride too far in one go. Good idea about the forums cheers.

Comment

I'm riding there, training it all back, not riding back to Perth after all the alchohol and god knows what else I'll cosume at the island. Plus i figure getting there will be equivilent to being pounded in the ass by john holmes for a week, i'll need a nice cushiony seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Abaddon View Post
                Has anyone done the ride from Perth to the island?? Im doing it this year with a mate (its gonna HURT) would love to know someone who has done the trek, ideally we will head south from Perth and do the whilste stop tour along the southern coast of australia..... *god help me* think im going to need a bigger bike that the 600rr :|
                Im riding from Perth too. Taking 3 weeks off work. No Im not riding the 250, have just signed the contract for my new baby that should see me across no worries. Difference is, we are riding back as well.. There will be 3 of us riding so maybe we should go as a bigger group if your keen?
                Does my aftershave smell like chloroform?

Comment

I wish it was every year Martin 1, its this year though and we are leaving from Sydney also, probably the 8th or 9th October

This was part of our 2009 journey.

We didint go all the way from Sydney but these are good roads. We had planned to double back over Mt Hotham but got snowed out, the run to Bairnsdale from Omeo is heaven (eh Mex!) but from there on it is a bit boring till Moe.

Tumut New South Wales to Healesville VIC - Google Maps
                  They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

I've done Bairnsdale to Sydney - along the coast way and also through Canberra and over Hotham. I've also driven Bairnsdale to Phillip island heaps - in fact just got back this arvo from the island.

This is the quickest but so boring I want to kill myself route:
                    sydney - Google Maps

This is the coast route, very scenic with some great roads (no idea about the dog leg at Bairnsdale - google maps fail):
                    sydney - Google Maps

This is a bit of a go at trying to fit in some road that are absolute gold (definitely PM Chew and Captain fish tho as they know a few of the inland ones too) couldnt work them into much of a loop but the roads that involve doing them twice is well worth it. There is some goodness around Hotham and harrietville but that time of year there is likely to be snow - and unless your as crazy as Chew and dont mind riding in snow i would suggest not going over the top:
                    sydney - Google Maps

feel free to drop me a PM when your passing through.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.caschibye.it/page/curiosita.htm

Comment

Will be eagerily awaiting your arrival Mr Chew!!
                      sigpic
                      http://www.caschibye.it/page/curiosita.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Mex View Post
                        and unless your as crazy as Chew and dont mind riding in snow i would suggest not going over the top:
                        <Me, crazy, no way.

Originally posted by Mex View Post
                        Will be eagerily awaiting your arrival Mr Chew!!
                        Will pre warn you closer to the event.
                        They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by ASB Imports View Post
                          Im riding from Perth too. Taking 3 weeks off work. No Im not riding the 250, have just signed the contract for my new baby that should see me across no worries. Difference is, we are riding back as well.. There will be 3 of us riding so maybe we should go as a bigger group if your keen?
                          We are thinking from Perth, head south and go along the southern coast of Australia into Melb then onto the island or some such, I would really like to pickup a F800/Blackbird/VFR for the ride, but depends on the money, if all else, i'll be screaming the 600 all the way there bitchn as much as possible.

We were considering riding back through the nulla, but I dunno, train and a bottle of scotch sounds so much nicer... plus the tyres and servicing there is going to be a killer alone, still undecided. Lots of google mapping and nav points to suss out yet.

Comment

Hey Chew and Mex thanks for the tips! Would be great to do a group ride back to Perth.

Comment

I was thinking about riding the bird over this year if anyone else was keen on joing up as a group for the ride over.. Not sure about riding back though, was thinking about the train or trucking it back..

Comment

Working...
                              X