Connecting chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting chain

I'm not sure if I've dun goofed but I need to some help with my chain.
    I bought a new one and asked for one for my bike, they gave me one that was 120 links and said it would need to be cut down. So when it came time to put the chain on I cut it down to the required 110. This is where I ran into the problem.
    It's a clip link type chain. What came in the box with it assumes you're not cutting the chain down, so the clip link sits over two rollers (not sure if that's the right term).
    This is what the chain looks like at the moment
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010763.resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	4925006

These are the ends of how it came originally

Name:	P1010764.resized.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	4925007

The link that came with the chain

Name:	P1010765.resized.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	4925008

Now obviously that link won't fit and it would be missing a roller. Is there anyway of connecting it using a single rivet/thingo?

oops clip one ... I'll be quiet

what I wrote - need to put a link in that needs spreading from a punch.

Comment

Your missing the slider thingo that goes over the third pic link. There should be three pieces in that link kit. Sorry I can't be more detailed. I just replaced my chain on the weekend.
      Originally posted by darkfibre
      Just sync the oil changes with her monthly cycle and get all the grumpyness over with, leaving the rest of the month clear sailing.

Comment

You'll need to drop another link on the top pic RHS end to get the joining link to connect.
        As Viper suggested - you'll need to use a punch or a link tool to set this new link and 'spread' it's ends.
        Hopefully you won't now have a chain that is too short...

S.
        Chuck Norris is 1/8th Cherokee. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Indian.

Comment

Sure that's a clip link?
          I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by SEROW View Post
            Your missing the slider thingo that goes over the third pic link. There should be three pieces in that link kit. Sorry I can't be more detailed. I just replaced my chain on the weekend.
            Yeah I've got the clip, just didn't photograph it.

I just don't see how I'm supposed to get this thing to join together :S

Comment

That's what I thought when I first saw it Desmo ... That chains looks like a chain that needs spreading not a clip.

Comment

*giggle*

you gotta grind off the end of a rivet and punch it out so you have rollers on both sides, as sprint says fingers crossed its not too short now

i never count links btw, i install the full chain drape it over the sprockets to identify which link i need to cut- noting that they dont make chains for suzuki across' they make chains for motorcycles and its normal to have to trim to length.

dont forget to put the O rings in
                Last edited by g0zer; 24-03-2011, 09:53 AM.
                Originally posted by Bendito
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                  you gotta grind off the end of a rivet and punch it out so you have rollers on both sides, as sprint says fingers crossed its not too short now
                  My kingdom for a grinder and nail punch!
                  I went to a bike shop and was told I need to take out one more rivet, so those outer plates come off. Now I just need to be able to get a roller and I'll be all set.
                  Thanks for the help guys

Comment

You have a heterosexual chain, you need a lesbian one i.e. one with female links on either end.

I use one of these but there are more industrial strength clamp style chain breakers available these days.

-

Comment

Working...
                    X