Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back packs - Dangerous or not?

Hi folks,

Was reading about the rider down on Orrong Road the other day (bad news and hope all concerned have the strength they need) when I noticed in the general comments section that someone said that backpacks can become internal fittings in an accident.

Me thinks not carrying sharp or rigid objects will mean you probably won't get injuries from the backpack alone after coming off at any speed - I've often thought of it as an extra layer of skid protection and may actually stop you from rolling if fitted correctly....

Whats the general thoughts out there?

(Also went out and bought a you beaut Oxford bag for the back of the bike and now when its full I can't get my friggin leg over the bike! Have to do a hurdle like step over the centre of the bike - So back to the backpack we go)
    Its all good on Ducati's

my kriega pack is built like a back protector with a bag attached.
    I'd still take special care what you put in it, laptop etc would be fine but definitely nothing with sharp edges that may pierce the back protector part of it in a slide or impact.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Dunno about the backpack, had a wicked stack on my pushy and slid on my backpack but obviously motorbike speeds are a bit higher...
      As for your tail bag problem, have you tried mounting your bike by standing on the kickstand side peg (with the bike still on the kickstand) and swinging your leg over the top of your tail bag? I have to do that with mine due to short legs/large bag.

Comment

l always use a back pack but l am very aware of what goes in it...
        Just in case...

Comment

Have crashed twice wearing my backpack and have had no injuries to the back apart from a broken pelvis but that was related to the bike landing on me! I wouldnt be caught wearing a hard backed bag though could end up with some serious jarring with one of those!

Comment

Have always been carefull of what I carry on bikes after once coming off heading for a campsite on a farm with a carton of cans, stubbies would have been disastrous.
            They hung a sign up in our town "If you live it up, you won't live it down"-Tom Waits

Comment

Danger is relative.

So backpacks, dangerous: compared to (for example) riding 150-250kg of hot metal within centimetres of cars, trucks and buses during peak hour? Not really.
              "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

when I started the ozy three dayers ALL those years ago , we didnt have a support vehicle so ALL of us riders would fill our backpacks with our gear for the three day weekend .. clothes,toiletries,what nots .. BUT we always were careful of not having sharp or hard item in them ... I personally use them when ever needed and I think that the way the packpack sits behind your helmet it acts like a neck protector incase of a crash ^_^

backpacks are your less of a worry in a case of a accident ...........

oz
                Last edited by OZY; 27-03-2011, 10:48 PM. Reason: can't spell for shit
                WARNING : this old dog bites !!

WARNING : BEFORE YOU THREATEN FIND OUT MORE ABOUT YOUR OPPONENT !!

Comment

Backpack saved me from major road rash on my back when I had a crash awhile back

Comment

When you can control when and how you happen to crash, come back and start to stress about stuff like this. Backpacks may help, they may not, it all depends on how you happen to crash. But that's really not the point.

Until then, accept that riding is a fucking dangerous thing to do, and put all your energy into not crashing in the first place.
                    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

i never have that problem

Comment

i agree barfridge but .... A bit of forethought and discussion can be a good thing, ideas like plugging the end of handlebars or not carrying sharp things in pockets you can reduce the risks.
                        Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

If you need advice on whether or not putting various items in your backpack is (potentially) dangerous, give up now.
                          “Crashing is shit for you, shit for the bike, shit for the mechanics and shit for the set-up,” Checa told me a while back. “It’s a signal that you are heading in the wrong direction. You want to win but crashing is the opposite. It’s like being in France when you want to go to England and when you crash you go to Spain. That way you’ll never get to England!” -- Carlos Checa

Comment

it's way safer to hang your shopping off your handlebars.
                            Need a website designer? PM me for a quote.
                            Here are some sites I've done recently - Velocity Race Team | Business Insurance | West Perth Insurance Broker | Labour Hire | Final Trim Operators

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
                              Backpacks may help, they may not
                              barfy depends on how large or what you carry in/on your BACKPACKS ...

OZ
                              WARNING : this old dog bites !!

WARNING : BEFORE YOU THREATEN FIND OUT MORE ABOUT YOUR OPPONENT !!

Comment

Working...
                              X