Lumpy tyre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumpy tyre

This happened to a mates bike today. Said he was riding along, the bike felt a bit funky and when he stopped this is what he found. Bike is just ridden around town, nothing too outlandish. Any ideas what might cause this? I was thinking dodgy suspension but he reckons it all feels fine.

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

small photo on my phone but looks like delamination, the air leaking from inside and bubbling under the tread belt.
    I hope it has been parked up or towed until a new tyre is fitted.

Could also be an internal tear in the carcass or belts and bulging can happen after a puncture is repaired. Not safe to ride either way.
    Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Looks like a basketball thats been kicked.

Appears to be on the rim backwards. What brand of tyre is it?

Comment

Thats a fucked tyre you have there (duh) I've only ever seen eggs like that in car tyre sidewalls from a chick who lets kerbs steer for her. How old is it?

Comment

if it's on backwards like bananaman said i've heard rumours that can cause delamination, never tested it myself.

Plenty of racers reverse tyres to balance treadwear for extra tyre life though

Comment

Yeah he's had it replaced already, just interested in opinions before the Dunlop rep takes a look. Tyre is newish from memory. 6 months/3000km's something like that.
            "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I'm guessing it might be a manufacturing defect if he hasn't hit anything. May be able to get a new one out of them if that's the case.

Comment

would take a solid hit like a brick on the road or a sharp edged pothole to damage the carcass to balloon like that so the rider would know about it, happens all the time on truck tyres but not so much a life or death issue for the driver like it can be on a bike

Comment

Excess heat (from under-inflation for example) can cause this. Also cheap tyres, or manufacturing defect, but would say Dunlop are above average in this regard.
                  I used to have a nice sig offering to shadow ppl. Now I have no sig...

Comment

Slightly off topic but is that a BB front wheel? I got some very small bubbles years ago on a very worn Shinko but that was only when almost bald
                    #1 Gold Ticket Holder for the Barfridge Fan Club
                    Originally posted by Phildo
                    Noted. We'll check back on that one in three years
                    Originally posted by filbert
                    i'll pretend you didn't know she was 13

98 BADASS TITANIUM BLACKBIRD - Past bikes 1982 XS250 Yamaha & 1983 CB750F with 900 motor
                    Ozblackbird.net Administrator

Comment

Nah that's not backwards, the tread on front tyres points inwards so it pushes water to the outside of the corner when you're leaning.
                      Originally posted by Desmo
                      Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Is a manufacturing fault. Saw it all of the time on car tyres, back in my tyre fitting days. Bad luck is all ya mate has. I assume that Dunlop, or the shop, replaced the tyre for free?? This is the done thing with car tyres.
                        Originally posted by deano68er
                        Originally posted by Sudu
                        Loud?
                        Enough to make ya hard

Comment

Ta for replies all. Para - it's not my bike but a mates 'blade. Others - no it's not on backwards. XQ - ta for info. He has paid because he needed it back on the road but is hoping for something from the Dunlop rep.

Comment

Working...
                          X