Changing Brake Lever, HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing Brake Lever, HELP!!

So I have just gone and bought some nice new shorty levers. Just went to change the brake lever, and behold as i removed the lever the piston behind the brake sprung out, no suprise here. However I cant physically push the lever hard enough to get the bolt back through as the piston is now solid.

Any ideas short of draining the brakes??
    Holder of

Ningaloo 2012 'Nekminnit' Smoking Ace

Fuggin' BANG!!

If has moved further out than normal and wont go back in because the brakes are activated, you WILL have to crack open a brake line. Its no big deal if you only let fluid out, just don't release the master cylinder plunger while the line is open.
    Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

So just crack it at the lever or the caliper?? Or doesnt matter??
      Holder of

Fuggin' BANG!!

Comment

Caliper, it is more effective to bleed air out of the furtherest points if you accidently let some air in. Let air in at the top, and you may have to bleed everything if you get air in.

Comment

Thanks for the assist mate.
          Holder of

Fuggin' BANG!!

Comment

Ok further to my last. Levers are now on however brake lights are permenantly on. Looking at the switch just inside and under the lever it doesnt seem that the button is getting pushed in (Assuming that is what turns the brake lights off). Starting to do my nut in now considering the brake lever didnt quite fit properly.
            Holder of

Fuggin' BANG!!

Comment

On some GSXR master cylinders there's a round insert, fitted into the lever, and the piston fits inside it. If this isn't lined up properly, the brakes will always be slightly on.
              You won't be able to ride it like that either, as the brakes will slowly lock themselves on as they get hotter.

edit: What type of levers are you fitting?
              FTP

Comment

Spend time comparing the old and new levers looking for how much changes they have made, and look for ways of adjusting it.
                You now know enough to change back at anytime

Comment

True that... I had to file one of the corners of the lever down to make it fit properly. They are a set of FPR performance ones. After filing down that corner they fit better but it just doesn't seem quite right.
                  Holder of

Fuggin' BANG!!

Comment

Working...
                  X