Middle aged bikers getting injured more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle aged bikers getting injured more

More middle-aged men crashing bikes more often - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Damn. And I thought it was mainly the young, dumb and full of cum riders who were becoming organ donors.
    Stop the Train Parking charge!
    http://www.change.org/en-AU/petition...ng-at-stations

More middle-aged men crashing bikes more often
    Posted April 1, 2011 06:39:00

There has been a significant rise in the number of middle-aged men critically injured in bicycle and motorcycle accidents.

The Institute of Health and Welfare has looked at how many drivers, motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians were seriously injured in road accidents between 2000 and 2008.

It found the number of men between 45 and 64 with life-threatening injuries increased by 50 per cent, with motorbike riders and cyclists accounting for the largest increase in injuries.

Researcher Geoff Henley says researchers believe the increase is down to increasing numbers of men in the age group riding bikes and motorcycles.

But he says younger people still have the highest injury rate overall.

"We found for both males and females around the 15-24 years age group the rates are highest among these groups in terms of life-threatening injuries," he said.

While the number of road deaths fell during the eight-year period, injuries increased by almost 2 per cent every year, from 26,700 to 32,500.

More than a quarter of the injuries were life-threatening.
    Its good to see that the road deaths fell.

Comment

That's only because the motorcycle rider demographic is shifting upwards to older riders.

Young men nowadays are much less likely to ride bikes because
      a) it's too dangerous, and
      b) because they are too busy texting or accessing facebook on their smart phones while getting their hair styled.

Apparently it has something to do with all the eostrogen building up in the water supply.

"Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

It's the mid life crisis, I rode a blah blah in my youth, now I'll jump on a new 170hp sportsbike and *SPLAT*

Just lack of skill or over-estimating skill, same issue new riders in younger range have, people need to learn to progress.

Comment

I only started riding in my 40's after years of putting it off.
          Having done ARD and trackdayz and having been through the testing process I've gradually improved my skills and now am a generally competent rider.
          Since getting my license I've ridden with a few mates however who are from the 'returned to riding' demographic.
          Too many of them have very poor skills, not able to control the bike that they have bought (either too heavy or too powerful or both) and no idea how to do simple things such as e-braking etc.

Compulsory training would fix this, but the govt won't agree to this as it will be unpopular.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyS View Post
            I only started riding in my 40's after years of putting it off.
            Having done ARD and trackdayz and having been through the testing process I've gradually improved my skills and now am a generally competent rider.
            Since getting my license I've ridden with a few mates however who are from the 'returned to riding' demographic.
            Too many of them have very poor skills, not able to control the bike that they have bought (either too heavy or too powerful or both) and no idea how to do simple things such as e-braking etc.

Compulsory training would fix this, but the govt won't agree to this as it will be unpopular.
            Not unpopular so much as expensive. When you do the compulsory prelearners course in NSW, which isn't much in the way of training but it's a start, you get two half days of riding on a closed off range in a group of 6 with hire bikes included. The whole thing only costs you $70, and they don't seem at all fussed when their bikes get binned, in fact as long as you get the hang of it by the end of the weekend they'll still give you a license. Everyone seems to enjoy the course, I think if you had it in WA people would have fun abusing someone elses bike for a few hours.

The RTA is picking up the tab on top of your $70, it must be costing them a few hundred per student. I think this would be why they're shying away from it in WA, although in the long run it might save them some money.

Still you guys can ride 60HP 2 stroke 250s on a learners permit. And as long as you have a friend along with a license no one even checks to see if you can ride the thing. That does sound like fun.
            Cosimo_Zaretti
            Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti; 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM.
            Originally posted by Archie
            Give it the beans, before you redline release the beans, tap it up a gear, resume bean-giving.

Comment

Originally posted by Spock View Post
              Young men nowadays are much less likely to ride bikes because...
              This could be a poll, young men don't ride bikes becuase:

They're all soft James Blunt types (minus joining the army)
              Their Mummy told them not to
              Holden doesn't make bikes
              It's not a V8
              Bikes are to complimicated

More?
              Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Spock View Post
                Apparently it has something to do with all the eostrogen building up in the water supply.
                Damn !!!
                I'm old enought to have escaped the eostrogen contamination but I really wanted to blame that for my man boobs
                It's better to be thought stupid than open your mouth and remove all doubt

Pure speed in sixth gear on a 5,000 foot straightaway is one thing, but pure speed in third gear on a gravel-strewn, downhill, ess turn is quite another.
                Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

My father in law in Scotland has decided that having had a recent health scare, he really needs to get back on a bike after 30 years of non-riding. He blames me for taking him to see the Historics at Barbagallo last time he was here, which is why my MiL is not happy with me at the moment.

In the UK the government are subsidising "Returning to Biking" sessions with local training companies. For 3 hours at a time he can go through the training without having to commit to buying a bike or the gear, and see if it really is what he wants. It is around AUD$120 all inclusive for the session and he can do as many as he likes.

This is definitely a good initiative as they have the same problem over there with mid-life crisis heros buying an R1 and killing themselves on it.
                  Adventure before Dementia

Comment

Yep my old man got his licence in the late 60's, gave him a decent ride on the zed with me following in the car ( out up welshpool rd to the end and then out a few roads there ending in Kalamunda) He hasnt ridden since the 80's, and i was Horrified

Appart from bad bike control.... heres a list of what i observed....
                    Riding nearly on the white line on the left of a lane - exposed to people just pushing him off the road altogether from behind or side
                    Coming to a stop he put both feet on the ground at about 20km/hr and hopped along until the bike stopped
                    Couldnt keep up with traffic at the speed limit - nerves of a big bike apparently.
                    Corners at walikng pace. But he reckons the Zed is too top heavy lol.... thats why ya gotta ride em quicker than walking pace to get the bike to balance itself... its a naked, has wide bars to hang onto.... its not rocket science.... but he doesnt like the style of bike.... He preffers a Bonnie or norton or he even likes the Kwakka W800. He used to ride Honda CB750 in the 70's but he reckons theyre to overpriced and too much plastic these days (Honda CB1100x - $15K plus onroads, 14L tank )

Horrified.... no i was Mortified!!!!

Before he buys a bike im sending him to Elite for a return to riding course cos he wouldnt know the first thing about passing a test. Yes I know passing a licence test and learning to ride are 2 different things, but how is it he can shadow but cant ride for shit.... he'd never do an e stop let alone an o turn.... yeah okay nearly 30 years break in riding, give him a break and let him get usued to it.... but in his day there were empty country roads (LOL have to do a weekender to find them now)
                    Not 2 million cars a day on the freeway.
                    When the only tool you have is a hammer, every thing starts to look like a nail

Comment

I came back to bikes after more than 30 year break. I am over 55 years of age. Fortunately, I had let my NSW bike licence lapse and so had to start from scratch in WA. I say fortunately as I was surprised at how little I knew about riding a motor cycle. So I went for lessons, bought an old ZZR250, passed the RE test dropped it a couple of times at low speeds, rode as often as possible with an experienced rider who pointed out my faults (and there were many).

Have now ridden more than 7,000 km on the 250 and use it to commute to work every day. Have now bought a ZZR600 and ride most week-ends with the same experienced shadow. I am very much aware that my reflexes are not as good as they were in my younger years and allow for this as best I can. For the freedom and experience of bike riding I am prepared to take the risks involved with the activity. My wife is not impressed but understands that this is something that I want to do and supports me in whatever I do.

Comment

I had a 22 year gap. I had to start from scratch because i never got my license previously in the UK. I rode there from 16 years old until I was 22 and a 50cc up to an 1100cc bike.
                        I feel I am a better rider now than I was then. This time around i have taken the time to learn about the physics of riding. Additionally, being older means that I am not likely to stretch my limits and am able to resist the temptation to push myself too hard. I remember in my youth that I felt immortal and did a lot of stupid shit on a bike. So speaking for myself I feel far less likely to cause injury to myself through my own mistakes at my age now (early 40's) compared to then.

I suspect the increase in statistics is simply due to increased numbers of bike riders in this age group demographic. Today's world is a lot different to how it was 20-30 years ago WRT leisure activities for mid-aged men.

Comment

Originally posted by ؤlen View Post
                          Its good to see that the road deaths fell.
                          Yeah statistics like that are misleading. The same thing happened when airbags were made mandatory... suddenly serious road injuries went UP by a fair few percent. Of course that's because those few percent would have been seriously dead, not seriously injured, if they hadn't had airbags.

I'd bet the same thing is happening here... people riding better bikes, smarter, and wearing more gear, so when they fall off they survive to become a 'serious injury' statistic instead of dying and becoming a 'death' statistic.
                          I was the best, you all knew it / on the days I cared at all
                          You can all say I blew it / you'll be talkin 'bout me for years

Comment

A middle aged dude at work has made it his mission to buy a hayabusa this year. He hasn't ridden for at least a decade. We'll see how it goes.
                            "There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all"

Comment

Originally posted by broon62 View Post
                              A middle aged dude at work has made it his mission to buy a hayabusa this year. He hasn't ridden for at least a decade. We'll see how it goes.
                              To be honest, I suspect it will go fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X