Riding under speed limit illegal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding under speed limit illegal?

Twice in as many days this question has come up. Im pretty sure it is illegal, but am unsure if its a percentage of posted speed, a set number or "impeding traffic" at popos discretion. My mates Mum got fined for it years ago but that was in a different state so unsure if it still stands or even applies in this state.
    I have googled it to no avail so far, can one of you people with the freaky talent of getting road regs out of 5 billion pages of blah find it please?
    I did find this though:

Driving in Australia - Wikitravel

Some lolzz hidden in there
    "...If you encounter a length straight section of road, dry conditions and good visibility, there is no reason why you cannot exceed 100km/h at your discretion to consume the distance while keeping your mind alert. It has been studied that 100km/h for prolonged distances on straight sections of road can cause sudden fatigue, and in extreme cases hallucinations. You must slow to the limit if you spot oncoming vehicles, simply because there may be another vehicle just about to overtake the said vehicle, or equally worse, the vehicle may be a police patrol (mobile tax collection vehicle). "

"...When in metropolitan areas or passing through country towns, you must adhere strictly to the speed limit. Firstly, they are heavily enforced, secondly there are many elderly folk wandering the streets of country towns, thirdly there are children in metropolitan areas, and fourthly in major cities, drivers are blind, uncourteous (or both) and may pull out in front of you from side streets. Taxi drivers and P-platers are the worst offenders...."

Gotta watch out for those elderly folk... but only in country towns
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground...

If memory is correct its anything under 20ks of the posted limit is illegal
    "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

Comment

It's illegal to travel at less than 10km/h under the posted speed on a Freeway. Other than that I don't know of any other circumstances.
      2006 Yamaha R1SP;
      In an interview with the New Scientist magazine marking his birthday, Stephen Hawking was asked what he thought about most during the day, and replied: "Women. They are a complete mystery."
      Amen, brother. Amen.
      My nemesis; Barfridge

Comment

Originally posted by SOLID View Post
        If memory is correct its anything under 20ks of the posted limit is illegal
        ^

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post
          It's illegal to travel at less than 10km/h under the posted speed on a Freeway. Other than that I don't know of any other circumstances.
          Ride to (drive ) condisions ???
          I find it hard to see peeps getting pinned for this,
          Can they take points of , 10 and under kind of like 4 + over ???
          REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
          (anarchy in english )

Comment

No idea how it works now, new an old codger who used to be notorious for slow driving and eventually got done for it. No idea what the penalty was but watched the cops pull him over. Going too slow is just as much a hazard as someone speeding excessively imo.
            "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

Comment

AFAIK you can travel as slowly as you like, except on the freeway. In free-flowing traffic on the freeway you can't go less than 20km\hr under the speed limit.
              "There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all"

Comment

Wish someone let all the people using Gnangara rd know this... from memory it's 20km/hr everywhere unless there is a legitimate reason (traffic / weather / animals crossing / wildlife crossing)

Comment

Rules have changed, guys n gals.

Whilst it's now illegal (still) to cause an obstruction to traffic, driving at a speed under the limit is now specifically excluded as being a possible cause of obstruction.

The only thing left I could find was that if you are traveling in a zone > 80km/h you need to pretty much stay in the leftmost lane unless turning right, overtaking or there's congestion.
                  "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

90kmh Starfishy.
                    Originally posted by Melkor
                    The Saint is all over the answer like a Saint on a cupcake.

Comment

> 80km
                      ≥ 90km

lern2red
                      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Oh you meant the speed limit being greater than.

I read it as your rate of travel greater than.

'Pologies.

Comment

That would be the same thing, wouldn't it?

Comment

No, my rate of travel rarely corresponds with the speed limit of the zone within which I am travelling.

Comment

If they can't get you for travelling under the speed limit, they can pick you up for not keeping left. I've heard of this happening on country roads when someone sits in the right lane doing stupidly low speeds. Seems even the police get annoyed with this...

Comment

Working...
                              X