Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engineers Australia WA Event - The Road Toll in Western Australia What's going wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engineers Australia WA Event - The Road Toll in Western Australia What's going wrong

Engineers Australia Ι event

Note point 6: Motorcycles are deadly and should be banned? Mind you some of the others are a bit out there 2nd last point " our wide roads encourage speeding " i.e. ever been driving on the country lanes in England and seen how people drive there?

and yes I did note that the header says "some of the matters they might address include:"

I just think they may need some sane representation from the motorcycling fraternity? How many members of Engineers Australia are riders? +1 here

Was just about to post this myself. I think I'll be making the effort to attend.
    "Speed Kills". The stupid person's answer to a complex problem.

Comment

[QUOTE=Engineers Australia]
      Thursday 21 April 2011 The Road Toll in Western Australia - What's Going Wrong
      Short Description Speakers: Matt Brown - RAC | Iain Cameron, Office of Road Safety | Brett Hughes, Curtin Monash Accident Research Centre Session Chair: Peter Damen, ARRB Group Venue Auditorium, Engineers Australia 712 Murray Street, West Perth, WA Date Thu 21 Apr '11 12:30 PM
      Thu 21 Apr '11 Hosted By Transport Panel Downloads 20110421 - Transport.pdf (0.2 meg)

In recent years WA’s road toll has been one of the worst in Australia. These three eminent speakers will be given 10 minutes each to explore the problem and to outline their policy solution. Following the 30 minutes of presentation they will form a panel to discuss this significant problem, with questions coming from the audience.
      Some of the matters they might address include:
      • Road safety has lost traction in WA?
      • The bad road toll in WA is the best we can do with the available resources?
      • Red light and speed cameras are simply revenue raisers?
      • Road safety accountability should be handed to the Australian Government?
      • Government support for road safety is minimal and confused?
      • Motorcycles are deadly and should be banned?
      • The urban speed limit should be reduced to 40 km/h?
      • The penalties for drink driving are too weak?
      • Cyclists are dangerous as they don’t adhere to the road rules?
      • Safer vehicles are cheaper in NSW and Victoria?
      • Our wide roads encourage speeding?
      • Driver attitude and behaviour in WA is terrible?

Come and hear these people tackle some of these matters and have your say.

[/QUOTE]Attention seeking.
      Please contact the Administrator if your date of birth has changed.

Comment

Im on the engineers australia committee, we have a committee meeting next tuesday i will ask about this.
        I LIKE BOATS!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by T-Rex View Post
          [*]Our wide roads encourage speeding?
          what?
          "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Cheers Scaffardi, I would be interested to here what the committee says - its unlike EA to sensationalise... (I would hope).. so one could believe they are serious considerations put forward, and thats scary.

Comment

Ha Ha what a joke.....Majority of speed limits for most single and dual carriage roads in the uk are either 60 or 70MPH that is what 100 and 120KPH.....

Speed camera's i believe have been scaled back as they have realised that they actually increase the amount of accidents as when people see them they slam the breaks on to slow down....

Go to france and the speed limit changes from 130kph good whether and visability and 110kph bad whether......makes more bloody sense...drive according to the conditions and your ability....

Oh well never mind. it will never change as they dont want safety....they want more money....if they wanted safety they would make it compulsory to make every car driver take a 2 week bike course to give them respect and understanding for bike riders......

Comment

no mention of congestion or road planning waste of time
                Originally posted by Bendito
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by daino View Post
                  Cheers Scaffardi, I would be interested to here what the committee says - its unlike EA to sensationalise... (I would hope).. so one could believe they are serious considerations put forward, and thats scary.
                  I don't think they are 'serious considerations', but contentious views designed to provoke debate. Probably authored on behalf of the convener by those muppets at ORS.

Comment

This ^^

Doesn't stop us bringing some sensible engineering/risk based considerations into play though.

Comment

I did a study at uni into the road toll in WA. The majority of fatal accidents are actually in rural areas. When you take into account that 75% of the population live in Perth, its clear that the country is where road safety efforts need to be focused.

In 2009, over 73% of rural accidents were single vehicle accidents. 50% of those involved a collision with a roadside object. Surely it doesn't take a genius to see that removal or barricading of roadside objects is a damn good start to lowering the rural death toll.

Almost half of the rural deaths involved drivers over 0.05. No real engineering solutions to that one, but its a staggering figure that clearly shows that drink driving campaign still aren't hitting the mark.

Speed was also a "contributing factor" in one third of accidents, however, without a solid definition of contributing factor, I'd take that statistic with a grain of salt.

In terms of metropolitan fatalities, 23% were pedestrians. Providing better pedestrian road-corossing facilities and spereration from traffic would be another good start to reducing the road toll...

I could go on, but I have work to do.

These stats came from here:

http://www.ors.wa.gov.au/_layouts/ge...RCN=D10#268094

Comment

Saying that roads encourage behavior explains why these engineers went into their science degree and not humanities/social science.

Roads could discourage.
                        This is general advice only and does not take into account your individual objectives, financial situation or needs (your personal circumstances). Before using this advice to decide whether to purchase a product you should consider how appropriate it is in regard to your personal circumstances.

Comment

[QUOTE=BenG;2243119]

Speed was also a "contributing factor" in one third of accidents, however, without a solid definition of contributing factor, I'd take that statistic with a grain of salt.

/QUOTE]

It is a useful stat because it says that for the majority of accidents (66%) speed wasn't even a contributory factor, let alone the primary cause.

I also need to dig out my source for the stat that 90% plus of accidents where speed was a contributory factor occurred at speeds below the posted speed limit.

When you look at those two concepts speed cameras don't seem like such a great safety device.
                          Last edited by Hamster; 07-04-2011, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scaffardi View Post
                            Im on the engineers australia committee, we have a committee meeting next tuesday i will ask about this.
                            The young engineers australia meeting is on Wednesday, not Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                              Saying that roads encourage behavior explains why these engineers went into their science degree and not humanities/social science.

Roads could discourage.
                              these presenters are not engineers. they are probably policy makers or stat monkeys that will probably present very misleading and incomplete information.

Comment

Working...
                              X