Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something of general interest. Electric V Traditional.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something of general interest. Electric V Traditional.

As stated in thread:
    Infographic: Electric vs. Gasoline Motorcycles

fuk the carbon tax, just tax cuts for those who make an effort not to pollute.
    "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." ~ Muhammad Ali

6kWh battery, thats 6kW for 1 hour huh?

wheeee... ok now im bored
    Originally posted by Bendito
    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

That's fine, for a commuter machine. But say you want to do the York-Northam-Toodyay loop on a Sunday. You get to Toodyay and don't have enough charge left to get home (if you even make it that far)? Do I find a power point and sit about for a few hours for it to recharge? I'm sure my mates will love that.

So you really need two motorbikes, and since the vast majority of pollution/energy used is in the manufacturing stage, it's no greener. So why exactly do I want an electric bike?
      For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
      For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by Barfridge View Post
        So why exactly do I want an electric bike?
        Thats what i thought also. Just to put all those greenie voters in there place. not practical. besides, how do we get electricity anyways? burn fossil fuels...
        "Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion." ~ Muhammad Ali

Comment

That's fine, for a commuter machine. But say you want to do the York-Northam-Toodyay loop on a Sunday. You get to Toodyay and don't have enough charge left to get home (if you even make it that far)? Do I find a power point and sit about for a few hours for it to recharge? I'm sure my mates will love that.
          If you read the blurb you would see they are claiming a 15 min recharge to 90% of the battery capacity. I can see recharging stations appearing alongside standard petrol stations in the near future.
          15 minutes is the time it takes most bikers to slam down a coffee and croissant.

So you really need two motorbikes, and since the vast majority of pollution/energy used is in the manufacturing stage, it's no greener. So why exactly do I want an electric bike?
          It takes about 640000 million joules to run a one ton car for 10 years at 16000klms a year and 20000 million joules to manufacture the same one ton car.
          Which means over the 10 year lifetime of the car it has used 320 times in energy as it took to make the vehicle.

The next bit to the equation is that it takes half the amount of fossil fuel to make energy at the power station than it does to use fuel from the pump to power the car.
          I got that from a Unesco site but it wont let me post a link
          thumper humper
          Last edited by thumper humper; 07-04-2011, 06:08 PM.
          Triumph Rocket
          Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
          XT 250 Yamaha
          SYM HD200
          SYM Shark 125

Comment

Originally posted by The Mase View Post
            Thats what i thought also. Just to put all those greenie voters in there place. not practical. besides, how do we get electricity anyways? burn fossil fuels...
            Why do you and other anti green people believe any anti green propaganda without bothering to check the facts???
            Why do you hate the planet?
            Triumph Rocket
            Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
            XT 250 Yamaha
            SYM HD200
            SYM Shark 125

Comment

For the sake of all the hippie tree huggers. I don't believe in GW anyways. It's more like pole shifting and sun spots causing shift in weather than what the government have you believed.

Comment

Originally posted by elechad View Post
                For the sake of all the hippie tree huggers. I don't believe in GW anyways. It's more like pole shifting and sun spots causing shift in weather than what the government have you believed.
                Do you have a link to some peer reviewed science paper that offers some evidence to your statement? Or did you hear it on talkback radio?
                Triumph Rocket
                Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
                XT 250 Yamaha
                SYM HD200
                SYM Shark 125

Comment

Originally posted by thumper humper View Post
                  Do you have a link to some peer reviewed science paper that offers some evidence to your statement? Or did you hear it on talkback radio?
                  Well how sure are you GW has been attributed by humans or did you just start believing what you saw/hear in the movies and on the news? Unfortunately I am at work and trying to kill sometime and all the infos are on my pc. This whole GW is corporate and government propaganda to make a lot money.

Comment

Let's ignore that debate, and talk about electric bikes.

I was unaware of the 15 minute charge...that's almost usable. But as stated, what's the range (not the optimistic max range quoted), but what you would get giving it hell up in the hills.
                    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
                    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Glad to see the prices slowly coming down, charging times improving and range getting a bit further...pity they still look crap.
                      I'd consider an electric bike as a commuter to get to and from work...don't know how confortable I'd feel filtering traffic on a silent bike though.
                      ...I'd certainly keep a few petrol bikes for having fun.

Comment

Once they build hand held reactors i may consider them , electric bikes that is.
                        REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                        (anarchy in english )

Comment

If you live in Western Europe or the US east seaboard/Midwest the idea of not passing a petrol station every 15 minutes is just nonsensical, so I imagine that the manufacturer needn't care much about the York-Northam-Toodyay loop.

Comment

Originally posted by PFLB View Post
                            If you live in Western Europe or the US east seaboard/Midwest the idea of not passing a petrol station every 15 minutes is just nonsensical, so I imagine that the manufacturer needn't care much about the York-Northam-Toodyay loop.
                            Or (i feel so dirty for just thinking this) a hybrid bike......

I'm sorry, i'll go sit in the corner now.

Comment

Hybrid vehicles, the complexity of 2 technologies with the benefits of neither.
                              Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Working...
                              X