Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Rego Question

Hi,

Sorry if this question has been asked before. (I did try a search before posting this)

I have got my bike rego renewal notice after having the bike for 12 months, and on the front there is a private and a standard rate listed. The difference in the amounts is only $10.

When I read the back of the rego notice, it says "All other vehicles that do not fit the description of a family vehicle are not eligible to pay the private rate and must pay the standard rate. This includes, but is not limitied to , motor cycles, trailers, caravans ......"

Um, If I am not eligible for the private rate, why do they put it on there? Or am I missing something?

The renewal cleary states the body as MCYCLE.

I am just wondering what category others pay (ie. the private or standard) and if anyone knows what they do this (mind you asking why any Government Department does anything is probably a complete thread on its own)?

Paid mine as private. Imo its still a private vehicle. Ive never read the fine print though lol.
    It may be illegal, but that doesn't make it wrong

Comment

On my 250, I went in to ask about this and the lady told me private was fine, so I paid that. My R1 is on standard.
      Last edited by RY RY; 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM.
      Drink all day, play all night,
      Let's get it poppin'.
      I'm on my Yammie, bitch!

Comment

Hi Jem, I recently paid mine and did the standard rate. Would hate to not be registered over a technicality and $10.....better safe than sorry....

Comment

Normally I'd recommend you phone the Dept. of transport and ask them, but I wouldn't wish that sort of pain on my worst enemy.
          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

I raised this ages ago and got shot down by those who didn't want to know the truth or were too tight to pay as required. We all know you can get away with paying less (and to be honest, I'm sure motorbikes should be in the cheaper bracket) If govt were a little smarter then all m/bikes would have only one option available.
            Justine.... Always and Forever

Comment

I also paid Standard rate as I read the section you quoted and didn't want to be unregistered. For the few dollars extra, it wasn't worth it IMO. Government departments screw up royally all the time, I didn't want to give them an excuse to 'come after me'.
              I've got a Blade, I'm not afraid...

CBR1000RR - 171HP|114Nm|Yoshi CF Slipon WRX STI - 266HP|399Nm|Ultrex 3"TBE|PW CAI

Comment

standard

Comment

im pretty sure i paid private.

went through a booze bus the other day and got my licence/rego checked on the bike and it was fine - so private is ok

Comment

Originally posted by JEM View Post
                    Hi,

When I read the back of the rego notice, it says "All other vehicles that do not fit the description of a family vehicle are not eligible to pay the private rate and must pay the standard rate. This includes, but is not limitied to , motor cycles, trailers, caravans ......"
                    Read the previous part on the back more carefully- Private- your bike does not weigh more than 3000kg, is not a heavy vehicle, is licensed by a 'natural person' (eg. not a corporation) and is used exclusively for social, domestic or pleasure purposes.
                    Then it goes on to say "...All other vehicles..."
                    So in conclusion, unless your bike is a troop carrier for call girls and pimping is your registered business, its a private vehicle.
                    I also confirmed this first time I paid rego in this state.
                    gravy, it also says that if you pay the wrong rate, it can can breach your insurance- you will get nothing. You might want to look into that.
                    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground...

Comment

Thanks everyone that answered. I will be going into the office here in Kal during my lunch break so I will ask then and let you know what they say. I was going to pay the private rate online until I glanced at the back of the notice and the term motor cycle caught my eye.......

Comment

You have to pay standard rate.
                        I've never heard of it happening but I would hate to hear someone's CTP payment didn't get approved because of a $10 error.
                        Originally posted by Desmo
                        Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Yep I saw that too first time i registered a bike, I would guess it gives the insurance commission of wa an out on an injury claim you may make if you only pay the private rate. As you have already quoted in the original post it clearly and plainly states
                          All other vehicles that do not fit the description of a family vehicle are not eligible to pay the private rate and must pay the standard rate. This includes, but is not limitied to , motor cycles, trailers, caravans
                          When the only tool you have is a hammer, every thing starts to look like a nail

Comment

Ok, I went into the local DoT office and asked about it. The lady I spoke to thought there was no issue with paying the private rate and when I pointed out what it said on the back of the form she went and checked with her supervisor. The supervisor in turn rang Perth to clarify why there was a private and standard rate of the form when the back of the form states that the private rate is not applicable.

It turns out that the private rate on cars have a "family discount" and a "private usage rate" applied to the insurance component. With the rego for a bike, there is no "family discount" applicable, but there is a "private usage rate" if the bike is used purely in a private capacity and owned by an individual. If the bike is used for work purposes, owned by an business, is hired out and any other non private use incurrs the slightly higher standard rate.

Apparently the poeple in Perth know that the wording on the back of the form needs to be looked at (whatever that means).

Comment

I paid the standard rate and they sent me a cheque for $10. (balance of the Standard v Private).

Interesting enough I'm sure they wouldn't set me up for an insurance nightmare.....

If the wrong rate is paid, and this vehicle is at fault in an accident that
                              results in a claim for personal injury by a third party, then you, as the owner
                              described in the vehicle licence issued herewith, may be in breach of the
                              policy of insurance. This may then result in a recovery action by the
                              Insurance Commission of Western Australia, against you, for the costs of
                              settling that personal injury claim, in accordance with the Motor Vehicle
                              (Third Party Insurance) Act 1943.
                              You must pay the Standard Rate if the vehicle is :
                              • NOT registered in the name of an individual OR
                              • NOT used exclusively for social, domestic and pleasure purposes OR
                              • IS used in part or wholly for any business, trade or professional purposes
                              User contains traces of nuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X