to sell or not to sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to sell or not to sell

Ive got a blue 1999 r1, Rei. Beautiful bike not a scratch on her and just balls to the wall power, but Im feeling like Im not getting the full use out of her. I look at the back tire and its like I havnt lent on any corner at all.

Its my first bike after my 250, Ive had her for almost a year now and was thinking about selling and buying a daytona 675. Something smaller that I can throw around on the twisties and actually touch the floor on at the lights hahaha

Or should is it best to just keep trying on the R1 and Ill get better?

Any one have a 99 R1 and really regret selling?

Originally posted by guarino11 View Post
    Ive got a blue 1999 r1, Rei. Beautiful bike not a scratch on her and just balls to the wall power, but Im feeling like Im not getting the full use out of her. I look at the back tire and its like I havnt lent on any corner at all.

Its my first bike after my 250, Ive had her for almost a year now and was thinking about selling and buying a daytona 675. Something smaller that I can throw around on the twisties and actually touch the floor on at the lights hahaha

Or should is it best to just keep trying on the R1 and Ill get better?

Any one have a 99 R1 and really regret selling?
    There is probably a lot of potential left in the R1.
    Maybe some coaching on the finer points of high speed cornering would help.
    However if you cant touch the ground comfortably,time for a change.
    Havent ridden either bike,just my general opinion.
    Triumph Rocket
    Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
    XT 250 Yamaha
    SYM HD200
    SYM Shark 125

Comment

Does it have to be another sports bike? If you're not getting the enjoyment out of an R1 what makes you think a Daytona will be any different? If you love your sports bikes you would be better off taking the R1 to some track days and advanced rider training courses so that you can take it to it's full potential (or as close as you are willing to take it) without having to worry about police intervention, cagers, puppies, school zones etc.

If, after that, you're still really keen on selling I say you should try something different. Take a Street Triple R for a spin and see if it doesn't put a smile on your face.
      Originally posted by Desmo
      Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

This is like a "What bike should I buy thread".

I have a ZX10 and I am not getting the full use out of it and won't on the road. Still gives me a grin whenever I ride it and it continues to teach me things.

If you ride another bike and can't wait to get one, there is your answer.

Comment

Its not that I dont enjoy riding the R1 I just feel like a complete noob, Both you guys suggested the courses I think that sounds like a good idea!

Comment

Home
            Welcome to the Motor Cycle Racing Club of WA

Comment

ninjaa...Right on the money, plus you get to hook up with like minded folk guarino11 a great learning experience

Comment

If you are not throwing the R1 aroiund, what makes you think anything will change with a 675. take it to trakdays or racecraft and learn to ride.
                Atlas Performance, dyna pumps, " your name goes here"

Comment

Originally posted by guarino11 View Post
                  thinking about selling and buying a daytona 675. Something smaller that I can throw around on the twisties and actually touch the floor on at the lights hahaha
                  Are you sure?? I'm 5'10" and I didn't touch the ground (well no flat footed anyway) on the 675, I guess you can if you lean the bike over and just flat foot one lage. Seen that done by a midget of a man on a ZX10, looked hell funny when he had to throw it upright to take off

Sounds like you need to get out for some extra rider training and stop focussing on your tyres, just ride the darn thing. Try lots of bikes before you buy yor next one or you'll end up the same.

Comment

Im gonna head off to the training like you all suggested thanks guys.

Comment

What protection should I add to the bike for track days?

Comment

Common sense and a right wrist that knows when to back off

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneville View Post
                          Common sense and a right wrist that knows when to back off
                          LOL!

so some crash knobs or frame sliders arnt necessary?

Comment

Yes and no, sometimes they can make a bike flip, generally a good investment though

Comment

ah ok then. So maybe just a pair of frame sliders?

Comment

Working...
                              X