Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front end resistance

Hey guys

was wondering if anyone knows how to eliminate front end drag? It feels as if the pistons in the calipers won't let go of the discs. I've popped the pistons out as far as possible, cleaned with petrol and relubed with brake fluid and this has helped responsivness but there is still drag
    This is a big parasitic loss and is stopping me hitting 200k at barbs and will surely be costing me time aswell. I read somewhere that WSB bikes front rims will go round at least 8 times from a little spin. Mine is lucky to do a half
    I feel as if something needs realigning/ shimming but don't know where to start.
    If anyone has any ideas or knows anyone who does this kind of work would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Gangus, sounds like you still have some muck or corrosion on the caliper body where the piston/s slide, the only way I have fixed this is to remove the piston completely and clean the caliper body and piston. the seal is the part that pulls the caliper off the disk when pressure is released and piston and caliper have to be spotless to allow it to do it. but you probably know that.

DJ
    There are two questions in life.
    1:Which way do I go
    2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

Could the Disc be warped?

Comment

Didn't really want to tear the brembos apart as seals are non existant.
        May be on to someone who is getting some made up for the rs250 caliper.
        It feels like side loading. When you look at them front on one caliper is even and the other one is biased.
        I don't think that the disc is warped as it is a continual thing not a pulsing.
        Worst thing is that you can hear clicking of the buttons on the disc as you push aswell as pad contact

Comment

could the master cylinder be in need of a rebuild... on the return fluid stroke it may not be sealing properly and leaving the brake caliper piston not fully returned ???
          1984 rz 350 stroker
          1984 rz 500 original
          2004 mv agusta f4 1000
          1994 mitsubishi magna wagon

Comment

Was trying to justify a new radial m/c
            if that doesn't cure it will have to wait for new seals..

Comment

have you loosened the pinch bolts and bounced the front end?

Comment

What for?

Comment

it can help align the front wheel correctly, I have seen it sort out a front end binding brake before.

Comment

Will give it a go

Comment

Loosen axle nut and pinch bolts, axle should be finger tight, bounce a few times, then do it all up.

Comment

No tighten the axle leave the pinch bolts loose bounce and then tighten the pinch bolts. Gangus the issue is prolly dirt behind the caliper seals, the groove needs to be spotless. You can get away with the old seals as long as they are still supple and use rubber grease like PBR.

MM

Comment

Cheers MM
                          I hope I can get to the bottom of this one!

Comment

While we're on the issue of Brakes. My problem is the other way round.
                            About a month after swapping out my Pads the lever started to get real spongey. Did a full system bleed and it came good but only to soften up again after a week or so, but I need to do it every week.
                            Narrowed it down to only needing to bleed the top bleeder valve. There is no evidence of any leaking fluid.
                            Could it be a busted bleeder valve or would dirty seals cause this problem too? Cant find any M/C rebuild kits on ebay either

If it is seals what is the best thing to clean the inside of the calipers with?

Comment

Originally posted by AWSE View Post
                              If it is seals what is the best thing to clean the inside of the calipers with?
                              Acetone. It leaves no residue to be absorbed into the brake fluid.
                              Click Link for My Bikes:

Aprilia RS250
                              1985 GSXR750 "Slabbie"

Comment

Working...
                              X