• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Superbike smackdown Motorcycle USA

2011 Superbike Smackdown VIII Track - Motorcycle USA

Results;
    Spoiler: show

"Each motorcycle was rated based on an equal mix of objective data (horsepower, torque, curb weight, Superpole lap time, acceleration force, braking force, top speed, corner speed and lean angle) and subjective performance criteria ranked solely on rider opinion (engine, brakes, suspension, turn-in, mid-corner, corner exit, drivetrain, ergonomics, preference).

Points were then tallied based on a hybrid Formula One points scale with 10 points for first, eight for second, seven for third, six for fourth, etc, etc. with all 18 categories scored equally. Points are then calculated the bike’s finishing position and this year’s King of the Superbikes."

163 - S1000RR
    159 - CBR1000RR
    144 - ZX10R
    110 - GSXR 1000/YZF-R1 (tie)
    96 - RC8R
    93 - 1198

Power Chart;

Torque Chart;

Weight List;

Times;

Interesting to note that based on times, the results don't quite match, so there is more than a little bit of subjectiveness in there, but there is still a massive gap between the twins and the 4's as to be expected.

I wonder if they will do a street test this year as well?
    Last edited by Drasius; 12-04-2011, 01:54 PM.
    Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
    Originally posted by filbert
    it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

The crossplane Yamaha really is a porker......
    Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

yeah 215kg, 15kg more than the kwaka. the yamaha home page for the bike bangs on about they have used hollowed bolts and other esoteric tricks to minimise the weight as well. the new gixxer is carrying a couple of extra kg's too.

surprised to see the cross plane engine dyno result is that close to the other bikes.
      Originally posted by Bendito
      If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

got to remember though that US emission laws hamper some of the bikes
        such as the blade and the kwaka are held back to meet the strict laws.. think about 8 to 10 horses less than what we get here

suprising though that with all that extra power and traction control, abs, etc
        the beemer and the kwaka is still slower than the blade which is 3 years old already!

Comment

I don't like this kind of testing where "Durr Yamaha has least powah so is worst" rules the rankings. The GSXR and Honda look to have the nicest torque curves of the fours but lose out to the Kawasaki because it has the advantage right at the top end where nobody spends any time.

But, and this is a big one.. It's great to see a magazine testing the base model Ducati against it's competition rather than an up-spec S model. Dunno How KTM got away with using the RC8R though.
          Originally posted by Desmo
          Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

The difference in torque may just be a gearing issue, Also I agree the power figures do not match what we have here and Europe, so they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pk View Post
              got to remember though that US emission laws hamper some of the bikes
              such as the blade and the kwaka are held back to meet the strict laws.. think about 8 to 10 horses less than what we get here

suprising though that with all that extra power and traction control, abs, etc
              the beemer and the kwaka is still slower than the blade which is 3 years old already!
              Very important point.
              Can you help with foster care?
              http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Keen View Post
                I don't like this kind of testing where "Durr Yamaha has least powah so is worst" rules the rankings. The GSXR and Honda look to have the nicest torque curves of the fours but lose out to the Kawasaki because it has the advantage right at the top end where nobody spends any time.

But, and this is a big one.. It's great to see a magazine testing the base model Ducati against it's competition rather than an up-spec S model. Dunno How KTM got away with using the RC8R though.
                Overall engine power only accounts for 1 category out of 20 (though there are a couple of others such as top speed which are pretty dependant on engine power). Actual chart now in 1st post.

KTM got away with using the RC8R as it's now their only sports model, the base RC8 was dropped for 2011. It (the RC8R) also cost the same as the base 1198 in the US.

Interestingly, both the objective and subjective categories are split into 2 groups, the beemer, honda and kwaka in one, and the rest in the other. Makes sense that the bikes the riders felt most comfortable/at home on were the ones they went fastest on.
                Last edited by Drasius; 12-04-2011, 02:01 PM.
                Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
                it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

Interesting that the Ducati had some pretty low suspension scores.. I thought that was part of the appeal of them, they were supposed to be much better than everyone else?

Alos It would be interesting to see how the kwaka would have gone with a gearing change - give it more torque arcross the board and bring it in line with the other bikes.

Comment

Funny how different bikes can be so closely matched. For me, the honda is the real surprise packet and is punching above its weight despite being an older model. How boring ?

Comment

I would have liked to the RSV4 in there as well . . .as you would expect.

Comment

Hehe, gotta love the Honda.... Released in '08, not nearly the most powerful, but super light, awesome torque curve for a 4cylinder, and smashes all the bikes on the lap times...

Just wait till the next model comes out *crosses fingers and hopes for elec-tricked up V4 with 180+ Hp*
                        The greatest excitement comes from besting who you were yesterday.

Comment

How are Ducati owners supposed to look down on everyone elses bikes with these figures, well hmmm?
                          Sventek, being a predominantly lazy fuck can you please purchase some for me, bring me the stuff, create something I want after you think of it for me then clean my house, wash my car, dog, bike breathe for me.

Comment

Suzuki is pretty unexciting in everything, but the lap times say something different
                            Originally posted by Commuter
                            23) Your girlfriends parents will not be impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her.
                            24) If your girlfriend is not impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her, get a new girlfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by thatguy View Post
                              Suzuki is pretty unexciting in everything, but the lap times say something different
                              By being the slowest out of all the I4's when ridden by the faster rider who raced a suzi for 90% of his career? Granted it's not a huge margin and the slower rider did much better with it comparatively.
                              Filbert on Moto Guzzis;

Comment

Working...
                              X