buff or similar headliner/neckwarmer gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buff or similar headliner/neckwarmer gear

The weather's getting colder and I've been itching to get some more stuff.
    While searching for something like a hairnet, do-rag, bandana (but without a knot), I came across this thing called a buff. It seems to be an all-in-one .. helmet liner, neck warmer, balaclava. Seems to serve my two needs: finding a headliner that's easy to wash as I can't be arsed taking the lining out of the helmet, and a neckwarmer/balaclava come the colder months.

Does anyone own one of these? How does it hold up as a headliner? Does it get too scrounged up and tight inside the helmet? If in the winter, does it function well as a neck warmer?

Apart from neck warmers or balaclava's, what else do you all use? I use my bike for commuting (~10-15km each way daily) and the occasional longer joyride on weekends.

spiff

I've seen these too and was thinking it could be something to look at for a group buy, as the nights are getting cooler.
    Originally posted by TurboR1
    Herpes. Nature's sherbet.

Comment

Buff's are brilliant, highly versatile and even the thin ones like I've got are good at keeping the wind out. Definitely recommend it.
      http://jupiterstravellers.org

Comment

Originally posted by HotelBushranger View Post
        Buff's are brilliant, highly versatile and even the thin ones like I've got are good at keeping the wind out. Definitely recommend it.
        +1

I love mine. I like to ride with Visor up 90% of the time, and it keeps the wind off, keeps the bugs out and is thin enough to not be hot in summer but still provide protection from the cold in winter. Cheap as and easily washable, plus it help earphones stay in as it's alot smother to go over than anything poking out of your ears. I only really use mine as a neckwarmer/windbreak, though it won't get bunched up if you use it as a balaclava. It's part of my gear and I never leave home without it.
        Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
        Originally posted by filbert
        it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
          The weather's getting colder and I've been itching to get some more stuff.
          While searching for something like a hairnet, do-rag, bandana (but without a knot), I came across this thing called a buff. It seems to be an all-in-one .. helmet liner, neck warmer, balaclava. Seems to serve my two needs: finding a headliner that's easy to wash as I can't be arsed taking the lining out of the helmet, and a neckwarmer/balaclava come the colder months.

Does anyone own one of these? How does it hold up as a headliner? Does it get too scrounged up and tight inside the helmet? If in the winter, does it function well as a neck warmer?

Apart from neck warmers or balaclava's, what else do you all use? I use my bike for commuting (~10-15km each way daily) and the occasional longer joyride on weekends.

spiff
          I use a fog off. On my iPhone so can't link it, but it's vented (goes over mouth and nose) so you can have the visor down without it fogging up. I highly recommend it
          Originally posted by Commuter
          23) Your girlfriends parents will not be impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her.
          24) If your girlfriend is not impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her, get a new girlfriend.

Comment

Dri Rider Thermal Fogg Off - Motorcyclemart

this fog off?, i've got one of these, once you get used to it and have it positioned right their brilliant for keeping ya face warm
            Percute et Percute Velociter
            Vini Vidi Squishi

Comment

I've got one of the polar buffs (normal buff with a bit of polar fleece on the end) off ebay. From memory it made a big difference warmth/comfort wise last winter even used just as a neck warmer (helped stop cold air going down into jacket a bit too). I think I used it as a neck warmer most days, and only pulled it over my nose on really cold mornings. I'll definitely be fishing it out of my sock drawer soon as this winter rolls in... Two thumbs up here.

Comment

just did a bit more searching around and it seems like dale britton stocks something called 'head sox', which is similar to 'buff'.
                is this a case of a cheaper copy of the same thing, or is the 'head sox' something different?

the feedback you've all given are positive and i like that this thing serves two purposes i need.
                i might head to dale britton and grab one, and then see if i can find 'buff' anywhere else or get one online..compare 'em both.

Comment

If you're initerested there is also Kitbag who are members (possibly sponsors) and should give a discount to PSB members, they sell quite a few variations on head gear
                  In Midvale near the Roe & Gt Eastern Hwy
                  Headwear - Kitbag

Comment

Originally posted by Spike139 View Post
                    Dri Rider Thermal Fogg Off - Motorcyclemart

this fog off?, i've got one of these, once you get used to it and have it positioned right their brilliant for keeping ya face warm
                    That's the one!
                    Originally posted by Commuter
                    23) Your girlfriends parents will not be impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her.
                    24) If your girlfriend is not impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her, get a new girlfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Shadow View Post
                      If you're initerested there is also Kitbag who are members (possibly sponsors) and should give a discount to PSB members, they sell quite a few variations on head gear
                      In Midvale near the Roe & Gt Eastern Hwy
                      Headwear - Kitbag
                      brilliant! i've been meaning to go to kitbag since summer to get some kevlar pants. i wish they were closer.
                      dale britton's are psb supporters too, n since they're closer, i might just get the head sox and try that out.
                      it's not terribly expensive and i do need something for the cooler nights we're starting to get.
                      it'll be my first winter riding soon, so i'm going to start lookin at the proper gears..i'm mostly worried abt wet weather and coming off..so more research on that soon.

Comment

H.A.D. - Home

I was using one of these over in Switzerland, where i was riding in sub zero temps. Worked a treat and can be used for snowboarding and skiing also. Unfortunately i dont think we can get these in Australia atm.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex_Steele View Post
                          H.A.D. - Home

I was using one of these over in Switzerland, where i was riding in sub zero temps. Worked a treat and can be used for snowboarding and skiing also. Unfortunately i dont think we can get these in Australia atm.
                          they have some nice designs. product seems similar to buffs and headsox.
                          btw, dale brittons only have 1 or 2 designs left, n i saw <3 or 4 pieces.. they did me a fantastic deal which was like $10.
                          not a design i particularly like, but since it's going to be under the helmet.. function over form for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Spiff View Post
                            brilliant! i've been meaning to go to kitbag since summer to get some kevlar pants. i wish they were closer.
                            when your riding is distance really an issue??? just means you get to ride that little bit longer.....
                            Percute et Percute Velociter
                            Vini Vidi Squishi

Comment

my mum custom made me a neck warmer out of this realy realy soft wool, its got some flaps so it can be tucked into the bottem of the helmet so cold air doesnt come up. she was planning to make more and sell them as she can do them any colour or style almost but dunno what she plans now.

Comment

Working...
                              X