Sprocket and chain recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprocket and chain recommendations

Given the aussie dollar being so good and needing a new chain and sprockets what are everyones thoughts on brand of sprocket and where to get them from?

I'm riding a Kawasaki ZX9R E1 model.

The three brands that seem to come up often are
    * Vortex
    * Driven
    * Drive Systems

All of them do steel front + rear sprockets which is what I am after. But is one better than another? All look pretty much the same to me, only difference I can find with most things is of course sprocket teeth which I can pick and whether its an aluminium one or not on the rear. Which has lead to great confusion when I trawl forum posts about one brand wearing out real quick but nothing about whether it was a steel or ally one. Pricing is pretty much the same across the brands that I have seen.

I've been checking out motomummy who have quite a few and leaning towards a +3 or +4 on the rear and leaving the stock front (but replacing it of course). I had looked at -1 on the front +2 on the rear but would like to keep the front the same as in theory less teeth means more wear on the sprocket for the same number of revolutions.

So thoughts and options? I've looked at stuff here and it is more expensive. Put it this way I can get a complete kit with an RK chain, chain breaker + joiner and speedo healer for a touch over AUD$340 to my door. I am buying the tool to do the job properly as I figure it will save me money in the long run doing this myself plus friends who are slack

I've also got a 9 and must say even going up 1 on the rear gave it noticeably more punch, with the front coming up much more readily under power. Can't help with branding I'm afraid, but given the amount of people on here who ask to borrow a chain breaker, I think you'll have alot of new friends very soon.
    Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
    Originally posted by filbert
    it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

I have just been chasing up Chain and sprockets for my 1098s and s1000rr and i have to stick to Driven on the rear of the Duke a si have the Driven Quick change but going with Did Gold zvmx chain $100 cheaper from the states than here,Bimmer does not need it yet but combing shipping will save me even more,i use angle grinder as chain breaker and use a circlip master link,never ever had one come off yet

Comment

All three are reputable brands, with the vortex only coming in alloy, where as the driven & drive have the option of alloy or steel.
        Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Motomummy claim the Vortex has a steel one as well on their kit page.. But will confirm.

Comment

My apologies. I wasn't aware of that. Looks like Vortex have expanded a bit. Peronally I'd go the Drive system, allthough motomummy don't seem to get a Drive front sprocket at the moment, and are sending out a Drive rear sprocket with a Driven front sprocket. Pretty much no difference really.
            Sponsored by:

Billetta Imports, Motorcycle Panel & Paint, Pirelli, YAMALUBE

Comment

Given they are all steel I figured they would be mostly the same between them.. Not much to them really but figure ask the questions

Comment

I had stealth sprockets on my gixxer and they were alloy centre with steel teeth for the rear. Not sure what shops stock these though..

Comment

Sprocketcenter.com have used them myself and saved a bundle
                  There are two questions in life.
                  1:Which way do I go
                  2:Whats the lap record.

Comment

Something like this?
                    https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=271&page=1

Saw those too and they have a kit
                    https://www.motomummy.com/store/prod...cat=601&page=1

Little bit more expensive though. And to be honest I don't need that extra power from lightening the sprocket that much. Single piece of steel is good enough for me. Ended up getting a Driven kit which had the right teeth counts I wanted, left the front stock at 16 and bumped the rear by +3 to 44. Got the speedo healer (their kit) and the riveting/breaking tool for $340 delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by D.J View Post
                      Sprocketcenter.com have used them myself and saved a bundle
                      Had a quick look, nice pricing, very similar to motomummy and better selection system as in they list my bike rather than me having to know that the sprockets for a ZX10R fit mine etc. But their shipping is more expensive. US$49 to ship international vs flat US$30 from motomummy for a similar kit. That said they include the clip link rather than relying on a rivet but I do prefer the rivet link.

*EDIT*
                      They are actually almost $10 more expensive for the same kit as well and don't seem to do a bundle for the speedo healer. E.g. I'd also have to pay another $10 ($75 vs $65) for the speedo healer. So overall your paying almost $40 more.

Comment

Im also looking to get a new chain and sprockets for my 06 CBR600RR so I will be interested to see which way you go.
                        Scott
                        Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderbird View Post
                          Im also looking to get a new chain and sprockets for my 06 CBR600RR so I will be interested to see which way you go.
                          Scott
                          I went with MotoMummy mate, EK MVXZ chain and driven steel sprocket kit. Speedo healer + riveteing/breaking tool as well.

Comment

I have just found this deal for front and rear sprockets plus chain for $145, what do you think?

Super Bike Supply - Your source for sportbike parts and accessories geared for racing and street bikes and their owners. : -
                            Win Free stuff on Thunderbird Racing's Facebook Page

Comment

I couldn't set my country to anything other than the USA. Do they ship international? Cause their pricing is good.

Comment

Working...
                              X