Clean floor and Clean chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean floor and Clean chain

What do you do to prevent the grime and oil from dirtying your garage floor when cleaning your chain? I'm currently using a piece of old carpet but that doesnt work too well when i'm rinsing off the kero with a hose...

Do it in a mates garage?

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

Use a bit of cardboard or do it on the lawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
        Use a bit of cardboard or do it on the lawn.
        Was hoping for something more permanent than cardboard. And don't oil and grass don't go so well together?

Originally posted by Sumfun4me View Post
        Do it in a mates garage?
        Thinking outside the box i like.

Comment

On a more serious note, I've always found that if you clean your chain regularly you wont ever need to use kero & a hose. I usually give mine a wipe down just using Wd40 & a rag every other week (i learnt the hard way back when I had my white wheeled 851, which was a right bitch to keep clean). I believe that solvents like kero aren't too good for the chain o-rings anyway.

Check out my 1198s Corse SE in the garage: Desmosedici Ohlins forks, magnesium wheels, Ohlins TTX rear shock, Kyle racing link, alloy subframe, carbon fairing stay, ceramic coated Termi full systen, PCV, lots of carbon & titanium.

Comment

+1 to the cardboard, I just put my bike on an old opened up box, then put some grease paper on top to catch the overspray, it seems to keep it concrete clean enough.

Comment

Kettenmax Chain Cleaner - webBikeWorld
              I got one of these, because im lazy seems to do a good job and is quick

Comment

Originally posted by kuba View Post
                Kettenmax Chain Cleaner - webBikeWorld
                I got one of these, because im lazy seems to do a good job and is quick
                Take too bloody long setting them up and way messy.

I'm with Sumfun4me, do it often and there shouldn't be a big issue.

I do it with a kero soaked rag and you don't have a hassle, plus no mess on the floor

Comment

I just wheel it down the drive way and do it on the road. No clean up at all. 

Comment

Doesn't anyone rinse off the kero? or just let it dry off? i just personally like a really clean chain (no black kero stains) when i clean it

Comment

my chain is cleaned with engine oil, i lube my chain with engine oil, you can either run a drip feed or just brush it on every 100kms or so, i never wipe my chain but i do have to wipe some spatter off my wheels once in a while.
                      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by dimlight View Post
                        Was hoping for something more permanent than cardboard. And don't oil and grass don't go so well together?
                        Paint the floor with 2-pack paint?

Kero doesn't mix with water so hosing it off isn't overly effective.
                        I just wipe it off with a rag, or if I'm bored, get the heat gun out and dry it.
                        Respect is earned, not enforced.

Comment

might be a good idea to start cleaning my chain. I just re-spay chain lube onto it

Comment

Bowlen, you want to make sure you give it a clean now & then, as you need to get rid of the road grime that attaches to the lube. This will make the joints abrasive & lead to premature wear.

Comment

I went down to local shopping centre and picked up bunch of out dated community news paper. + WD40 on chain to get rid off old grimes.

then used clean cloth to wipe all the black shit off the chain then used coarse tooth brush dipped in WD40.

it came out clean.

kind regards
                              Joey

Comment

Working...
                              X