Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive Riding courses

Anybody know any?

Eg. how to fall off/get off bike properly in the event of an accident etc...

sorry if this is a repost.
    Originally posted by The Mase
    Ditto. Instead mountain biking w/ a mate. He stopped suddenly, as did i but flipped over the handle bars. But landed nuts first on mates back wheel.... i know, I know, 2 penis's on one bike rule was broken

I'm sorry? How do you think you would practice that? Perhaps crash your bike a few times and get some feedback from your instructors?

Try these guys - Motorcycle training courses | RAC Driving Centre | Defensive driving, 4WD, truck, forklift, towing, and motorcycle courses available
    For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
    For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

I think how to avoid an accident would be more worthwhile training...

Comment

Crashing hurts and is expensive. I recommend not doing it.
        We are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride.

Comment

I agree with getagrip..... Crashing FUCKING HURTS....You can't really learn 'how to fall off' each crash is different the momentum of the bike is different the forces acting on you are all different so you end up going in a different direction everytime. Just try to learn not to fall off.... AHG mebbe?
          Duct tape is like the Force it's dark on one side, light on the other and holds the universe together.

Comment

If you do fall off don't tense up it makes it easier to brake shit
            “Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
            Hunter S. Thompson

“Everyone looks good riding a motorcycle, although for some, it requires a full-face helmet.”

Comment

Originally posted by mark00004 View Post
              If you do fall off don't tense up it makes it easier to brake shit
              haha, that's always the first thing that goes through your mind when you've highsided and are heading for a tree....just relaaaax
              For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
              For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

when you get launched from your bike... do a barrel roll

Comment

There are a few on PSB with a lot of experience at falling off, maybe ask them to organize a group fall. I think there have been some in the past, generally they are posted up by polonY and have stuff like 'cannonball run' in the title.
                  Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

my advice- drive your chin into chest hard and keep it there to protect your head and neck from flopage and snapage, basic break falling.

i always seem to use side fall and rotate myself so i end up sliding feet first which is handy, i can see where im going with my chin tucked into my chest, kick away from the bike so im sliding behind it if i need to, take most of my weight on my back which is protected by leather, and switch to a forward roll if required to somersault over or around immovable objects ideally landing on my feet. not managed to stick a landing yet, things tend to slow down when you are sliding across tarmac getting showered in sparks and smashed stuff making it difficult to judge speed (the landing becomes a cartwheel).

avoid rolling, when you hit the ground your body should have zero rotational speed- keep it that way. if you start rolling you will rapidly pick up rotational speed the same way a tyre on a jet aircraft spins up during landing.
                    Last edited by g0zer; 18-04-2011, 04:07 PM.
                    Originally posted by Bendito
                    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by darkfibre View Post
                      There are a few on PSB with a lot of experience at falling off, maybe ask them to organize a group fall.
                      haha.. a group fall..

woah g0zer it sounds like you have plenty of experience falling off

Yeh the reason i was askign was because some people have told me about it.. didn't really think it was viable seeing as you can't really practice falling off an actual bike.. and every accident is different and mainly unexpected..

also on a similar topic.. what do you guys think of those racing leathers with that extra padding on the back that kinda looks like a tube?? What are they called?.. and would it look weird if i had one of them on a 250cc
                      Originally posted by The Mase
                      Ditto. Instead mountain biking w/ a mate. He stopped suddenly, as did i but flipped over the handle bars. But landed nuts first on mates back wheel.... i know, I know, 2 penis's on one bike rule was broken

Comment

I was told to fall under your bike, cos if you're wearing the right gear, you won't be hurt too much, and your bike won't be completely totalled either, but again, it depends on the circumstance, I went into the curb at.... 45k?? isshh, threw myself off, now have to get new indicator lights and a new gear switch lever, it's not bad, all things considering, but could've been avoidable

Comment

What??? who is teaching you to ride into a curb?? yeh you could avoid it by not doing it!!

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStrike View Post
                            I was told to fall under your bike
                            I was told not to fall off.

The advice I was given was better
                            Being an Australian is not an excuse for being dumb and racist.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStrike View Post
                              I was told to fall under your bike, cos if you're wearing the right gear, you won't be hurt too much, and your bike won't be completely totalled either.
                              Don't do that. If I had of followed this advice with my accident then I probably wouldn't be here today.

When it all goes wrong the best course of action is pretty much what gozer described. Let go of the bike, kick away if necessary and try to slide on your back. After that, it is pretty much luck as there is not a whole lot more you can do.
                              We are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X