Polaris buys Indian Motorcycle Limited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris buys Indian Motorcycle Limited

Got this from Cyril Huze. I wonder if this means we could see new Indian's available in Australia in time sold through the new Victory dealer network...

Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE: PII) today announced the acquisition of Indian Motorcycle. The business was acquired from Indian Motorcycle Limited (“IML”), a company advised by Stellican Limited and Novator Partners LLP, U.K. Private Equity firms. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

“We are excited to be part of the revitalization of a quintessentially American brand,” said Scott Wine, CEO of Polaris Industries Inc. “Indian built America’s first motorcycle. With our technology and vision, we are confident we will deliver the classic Indian motorcycle, enhanced by the quality and performance for which Polaris and Victory are known.”

With this acquisition, Polaris adds one of motorcycling’s legendary brands to its strong stable of Victory cruiser and touring bikes. Indian will operate as an autonomous business unit, building upon the potent combination of Polaris’ engineering acumen and innovative technology with Indian’s premium brand, iconic design and rich American heritage.

“We are delighted to have reached an agreement with Polaris. Polaris will utilize its well-known strengths in engineering, manufacturing, and distribution to complete the mission we undertook upon re-launching the brand in 2006: harness the enormous potential of the Indian brand,” said Stephen Julius, chairman of Indian and managing director of Stellican. “Polaris is the most logical owner of Indian Motorcycle. Indian’s heritage brand will allow Polaris to aggressively compete across an expanded spectrum of the motorcycle market.”

Novator Partners LLP is a London based alternative investment firm founded and led by the investor Mr. Thor Bjorgolfsson. An avid motorcycle enthusiast, Mr. Bjorgolfsson said “After a troubled past, our goal was to bring the legendary Indian bikes back on the roads. The initial phase of that project is done and now our great partners at Polaris will carry on the work to realize the full potential of this classic American brand.”

Love the old Indians. Let's hope this means we get to see some retro / old skool style bikes back on the shop floors...soon.

Comment

It seems pointless to have the Indian brand and the Victory brand competing against each other. I hope they can do better with the Indian brand than rebadging Kawasakis as Indians like the last owners.
      Or will it be Victory's rebadged as Indians?

Realistically ,the original Indian brand will be as removed from todays Indian as the Triumph brand is from Hinkley Triumph.
      thumper humper
      Last edited by thumper humper; 20-04-2011, 11:08 AM.
      Triumph Rocket
      Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
      XT 250 Yamaha
      SYM HD200
      SYM Shark 125

Comment

I don't think Indian and Victory compete against each other. Sure they are both cruisers, but Indian is a premium brand and pure retro, Victory is a medium range brand producing only modern style cruisers and tourers, more like like an American made "metric" bike (which is how HD owners see them and why they don't sell well). If anything it gives Polaris the ability to cover a broader area of the market, and if they can develop more Indian models (and hopefully an affordable one) it could better help them take on HD. That's my humble opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by El Skitzo View Post
          I don't think Indian and Victory compete against each other. Sure they are both cruisers, but Indian is a premium brand and pure retro, Victory is a medium range brand producing only modern style cruisers and tourers, more like like an American made "metric" bike (which is how HD owners see them and why they don't sell well). If anything it gives Polaris the ability to cover a broader area of the market, and if they can develop more Indian models (and hopefully an affordable one) it could better help them take on HD. That's my humble opinion...
          They are not likely to win american hearts rebadging kwakas as an Indians if that is their plan. I dont really see how the metric thing comes into it for Victory,whichever way you slice it,it is an american brand.
          There are Americans(and Aussies) who will only ride HDs out of some misguided sense of brand loyalty,the Ted Bullpits of motorcycles.You cant win that type over
          The Indians may have a few tassles and paint jobs resembling the colours of old but essentially they are cruisers not much different to the others and people will compare them against Victory and other cruisers.
          After all HD didnt need another trademark to sell HD,they just added to the range.

I dont who told you they are not selling well
          Victory rides against the trend increases motorcycle sales and profits | Clutch and Chrome
          Triumph Rocket
          Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
          XT 250 Yamaha
          SYM HD200
          SYM Shark 125

Comment

Here is a follow up article explaining how Polaris could pull it off The Indian Gambit – Polaris Puts Harley-Davidson on Notice
            "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

Comment

Great news we should get some reliable long term Indian motorcycle production out of this, Victory have built a reliable brand over the last decade, Im guessing the next Indian production run will use the Victory brand of engines built into a more Indian/Harley styled cruiser, Im going to be interested in what they come up with over the next year or so.
              National pride should not be a crime!.

Comment

^ First thing they should do is create a Scout model that is priced down around the price point of a Dyna, that way they become affordable to a lot more people and they can hit HD where it hurts.

I sincerely hope this means bigger things for Indian, and I am excited that it is Polaris who is involved, if any one can make it work, they can.

Comment

Then I can ride around pretending I'm Burt Monroe

On a serious note it would be smart to utilise the mystique of the Indian name and make a scout/chief.
                  "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

Comment

Originally posted by El Skitzo View Post
                    I sincerely hope this means bigger things for Indian, and I am excited that it is Polaris who is involved, if any one can make it work, they can.
                    Very true.

Do you want the gearstick with it?

Triumph Rocket
                    Yamaha TT600R Belgarda
                    XT 250 Yamaha
                    SYM HD200
                    SYM Shark 125

Comment

According to Cyril Huze

It takes a lot of time to re-engineer any existing model like the Indian Chief and a minimum of couple of years to engineer a brand new one. Reverse engineering is the first task and already got started one month ago. I am able to disclose that during the next few days Polaris is going to announce to its dealers that 1- no production is going to continue for the 2011 models, 2- that 2012 Indian models will be available and introduced at the Indian National Dealers Meeting in July in Tennessee (probably the same Indian Chief with slight modifications and new options, maybe at a lower price than 2011 models) 3- that the brand new 2013 year Indian model(s) 100% engineered and manufactured by Polaris will be introduced during summer 2012.
                      I find point (3) pretty exciting, and like a lot of enthusiasts of American iron I am hoping they will release an Indian Scout model priced down around the level of a Victory or Harley, which would they make them more accessible to the masses.

Comment

That would seem to resolve at least half the problem some have with moving their foot back and forth on the pegs.

Comment

Update on Polaris progress with Indian.

ndian Motorcycles is ramping up its engine facility ahead of the 2013 commencement of full-scale bike production
                          As the owner of Victory and Indian Motorcycle Company, Polaris' long term goal is to pilfer more of the cruiser pie from arch-rival Harley-Davidson, a goal that will take time and careful planning.

But the Minnesota-based American company is already ramping up operations at its newly acquired Indian Motorcycle plant, recently announcing moves to hire 89 new employees at its Osceola, Wisconsin engine manufacturing plant.

Currently selling vehicles such as the 2012 Indian Chief Vintage in small numbers, it is understood that Polaris is readying a number of all-new models, the first of which is expected to be based on the Indian Core Concept (pictured).

It will be these new models that will either succeed or fail in their bid to steal sales from entrenched market leader Harley-Davidson.

With more hands on deck at its engine plant, it is believed that Indian is developing a new engine to deliver motive force to its fresh-faced motorcycle range in 2013 and beyond, potentially a DOHC engine with all the trimmings; electronic fuel injection and ride-by-wire throttle to name a few.

More power, more torque, less emissions will be the order of the day for the new Indian V-twin motor.

It is not yet known which direction Indian's first all-new bike will take, but if the Core Concept is anything to go by it could be a much sportier offering than its previous product line-up.

As Polaris ramps up its engine manufacturing operations in Wisconsin, which once had a workforce of around 500 (currently 140), upcoming motorcycles will be built at the company's Spirit Lake, Iowa, facility, which is due to begin full-scale production of new models in 2013.

Indian Motorcycles have been sold Down Under and Victory Australia expects to bring the new models to this country after they begin production. It is not yet known whether they'll share dealership floor space with Victory Motorcycles.
                          Concept pic

Current model being made in small volumes.

Comment

^ Thanks for the update, some good signs there especially the part about Victory Australia expecting to bring the new Indians to Australia

Comment

This is being offered by Indian, the 2013 Chief vintage. Not available here and still the old guards version, to early to see Polaris's firm hand on the bikes. Good sign that they are still cranking out bikes though

Indian Motorcycle 2013 Chief Vintage LE - Motorcycle USA
                              SOLID
                              Inactive Member
                              Last edited by SOLID; 31-07-2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X