Cornering - please diagnose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornering - please diagnose

Upgraded to my cbr 600rr 6 months ago. First proper bike and loving it. I am starting to push the boundaries a little and I am wondering whether this is normal:

When taking nice long smooth corners (not necessarily at crazy high speed), with body hanging off somewhat, I reach a point where the bike gives me heaps of resistance. ie. it does not want to lean any further. I feel the only way to fight it is to countersteer a little more but I don't want to experiement with that too much especially on the road.

I am not talking about what I would expect to be 'normal' resistance from forces at play etc. This is a very clear boundary that appears abruptly. I have not riden other big bikes so nothing to compare with (though never felt that on my baby ninja that I used to thrash around quite a bit).

My rear tire is slightly quare now but nothing that would be expected to cause any dramas. Bridgies BT 016 I think on the rear and the front is a new BT 003.

Body position from photos on trackdayz seems to be OK (I felt this at trackdays as well BTW).

Suspension set up by our own Mr Moose.

I feel like the bike could go significantly faster around these corners but this 'boundary' is pissing me off. Can someone please diagnose the mofo for me.

Thanks a bunch
    Every fart has a brown-ish lining

Did your model come with the electronic steering dampener?
    "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

Comment

Pretty sure only the thousand came with the dampener!

Comment

well scratch that of the list I guess
        "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the people"

Comment

Also are you sure your not being to gentle with it! i found my 600 to need quite a bit more muscle to crank over than the little 250! maybe lend it to a quick rider and see if they have the same problem then you will know if its you or the bike!

Comment

could be a miss-match of tyres? Or maybe time to get MM to have another adjust to suit your new skill level?
            yes, i am ignorant
            yes, i am a prick
            no, i don't care
            you make me sick

Comment

Think next time I'll rent one of the 600rr's at Champions to compare.
              My bike is the 06. Pretty sure there is no electronic damper (or any other kind for that matter).
              Last edited by Fab; 22-04-2011, 07:57 PM. Reason: Coz
              Every fart has a brown-ish lining

Comment

Put up some photo's from your track day as they will certainly help. A miss match of tyres is a possibility. Other than that buy one of the spots for tomorrow and come and see me or one of the other coaches to help you in person.
                RR VRT #100
                Sponsors Wanted.
                Thanks to www.superbikesupply.com.au and ProFlow for assistance.
                A 1K throttle is like a hot blond, you really want to hit it but you are afraid of the consequences :black eye:

Comment

Good Luck finding out what is so you can get your knee down!

Comment

Go faster and it'll naturally continue to lean over. Either enter faster and tip in or enter slower and gradually give it a tiny bit of throttle to force the bike to lean it self over (No, you're not going to loose traction if you're on the gas, unless you decided to close throttle, then smash it open while on a decent angle.)

Comment

Originally posted by shortSteve View Post
                      could be a miss-match of tyres? Or maybe time to get MM to have another adjust to suit your new skill level?
                      What sS said, could be in need of some small adjustments, if you find yourself double apexing corners etc i would think further adjustment is required, but Marty has always got my bike spot on. Maybe check your tyre pressures too! Just a thought.

Comment

I recently had a similar problem - when cornering i too would encounter resistance that i felt was not consistent with the bike i have - anyway long story short - removed the after market "Eagle" tinted screen and refitted the - smaller - original yamaha screen - shit - what a difference - instantly noticeable better tracking control and way lighter and more manourverable in the front end - wind flow and the resulting effects - were now fixed.

Comment

I can tell you now that it is definitely due to a mismatch in tires , you are running a slightly squared BT016 road tire with a race tire on the front which means even though they both may have the same numbers on the side of the tire this doesn't mean they have the same triangulation , race tires always have a steeper profile as you will need to get the bike turned quicker on the track and from my experience the bridgestone 003 has a fairly steep profile and turns in relatively quickly. Here is an idea don't skimp on your tires and put a rear on that is the same as the front because they are the first thing you need to have right before you will improve your riding.

Comment

Originally posted by Fab
                            I feel the only way to fight it is to countersteer a little more but I don't want to experiement with that too much especially on the road.

Ok, I'm a Noob rider, so I'm not going to tell you how to ride, but I am curious why you're hesitant to simply countersteer harder to achieve the desired lean. I find that if I don't have the lean angle I need, a little more pressure forward on the inside bar and the bike tips right where I want it. Isn't that what you're supposed to do?

Just interested, you're the one on the bike and I'm hardly a qualified instructor.
                            Originally posted by Archie
                            Give it the beans, before you redline release the beans, tap it up a gear, resume bean-giving.

Comment

Originally posted by Cbr Junkie View Post
                              Pretty sure only the thousand came with the dampener!
                              07 onwards 600 has electronic damper
                              Originally posted by Rocket
                              Hahah yeah, cos if there's one thing that scares the shit out of people, it's a bunch of 60kg computer geeks on GPX250's wobbling into a carpark.

Comment

Working...
                              X