Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle licence lapsed?

Hello all,

I think I have a problem. I recently bought a bike from Motomax in Osborne Park. I handed in my vehicle transfer papers within the 7 day period like you are supposed to. They then sent out the invoice for payment. In which i paid within a few days. Later that very same day, I got a letter from the Department of Transport titled 'Vehicle licence renewal where transfer fees have not been paid'. That letter basically just said the rego is due for renewal but cannot be paid when the vehicle licence transfer hasnt been paid yet. Because I paid earlier that day, I disregarded the letter expecting them to then send out the rego renewal in the next couple of days for me to pay, once they realised I have paid the transfer.

Time went past and ive forgotten about it until now. I stumbled across the old letter and realised they havent sent me a renewal yet. So then i thought, maybe they sent it to Motomax and they have paid it. So I jumped online to see the status of the vehicle licence. To my surprise it says it has been suspended/cancelled/lapsed etc.

I dont understand what I have done wrong here? I am going to call them on Wednesday to find out whats happened. I remember a couple of years ago, I forgot to pay my rego renewal for my car. They sent out a letter saying pay within 7 days or return the plates. So I also dont understand why they havent done this for my bike? Either way, they havent sent me anything to renew. Ive searched online and i dont have any account due.

Basically, what do I say on wednesday when I call them? If they tell me it has lapsed and I must go through the process of re-registering it, do I give them a mouthful? I dont see anywhere where I am at fault.

Thankyou. Sort of a bit of a rant. But also looking for some advice i guess.

Originally posted by bigsmalls09 View Post

Time went past and ive forgotten about it until now.
    I dont see anywhere where I am at fault.
    Um you never followed up after the first letter, yeah its your fault and you'll have to re-pit the bike
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every damn minute of it.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Comment

How far out of rego is it?

Comment

Depends on how long it has been.
        If you don't renew your rego with 2 or 4 weeks then they consider in suspended / cancelled and will send you a letter requesting you hand in your rego plates. You say you've received one of these letters in the past so you know what I mean.
        However I believe you have up to 3 months to renew the licence, by just paying online or by phone before you will be required to put it over the pits to do the renewal.
        If you are over that time period, they will make you take it to the pits for inspection.

I've let mine lapse a couple of times over the years and then get the hand your plates in letter and renewed it.

I'd say just call them on Wed, say that your renewal has lapsed and say you need to pay it, I doubt anything more would be necessary.

Comment

The first letter doesnt require following up. It says "the fees for the renewal of your vehicle licence are listed below for your information only. Please note this is not a vehicle licence renewal notice and cannot be paid"

The fact I paid my transfer fees means I should have then been sent the renewal? Also, I have had no letter saying to pay immediately or to return the plates. Surely if I havent paid, they would be demanding my plates...?

-JC- I dont know how far out of rego it is. Because I havent been sent anything telling me! The letter they sent me 'for my information' says it is due for renewal on 11th April. So im unsure of if thats when it lapses, or thats when I should be expecting an account to be sent?

Comment

Edog - thanks. But theres a function on their website where you enter your licence number and they tell you what accounts are due to be paid. I always use this function when I pay online. But according to them, I have no accounts outstanding...

Comment

No, they tried to send you a renewal and because your transfer fees hadn't been paid, the sent you that notice instead.
              If it was due on the 11th of April, just go and pay it.

Comment

I paid my transfer fees well within the 28 day timeframe. and was paid the same day I got that letter. I would love to be able to pay it, but I dont have an account due...

Comment

Ok, you have 15 days after 11th April (today) that you can ride it. You can go online at the Department of Transport site if you have a renewal form. Otherwise ring (131156) them tomorrow and with Proof of ID and rego number with your Credit Card. Failing that a personal visit to your nearest Licensing centre will fix your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by RodR View Post
                    Ok, you have 15 days after 11th April (today) that you can ride it.
                    Incorrect, once the license has expired you are no longer allowed to use the vehicle on the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Desmo View Post
                      Incorrect, once the license has expired you are no longer allowed to use the vehicle on the road.
                      What Desmo said.
                      You have a grace period after it expires to renew it, but once it is expired you are not registered and therefore not covered by CTP insurance.
                      Just ring them wednesday and deal with it then, nothing you can do till then.

Comment

Yeah. I guess ill just give them a call on wednesday (wont be open tomorrow?). I was originally just worried that id have to take it over the pits. But it doesnt seem the case. Lucky I havent been pulled over riding in the last month with an apparently expired rego. Now im aware, I shall stop riding until wednesday!

I really hope I can do it over the phone. Ill have to take half a day off work if they require a personal visit. God those centres are useless.

Comment

Ok so on the rear of Licence & third Party Insurance Policy, where it says
                          "Third party insurance cover extends to 15 days after the expiry of the Licence provided renewal is effected within 15 days of the expiry"
                          means something different then?
                          Maybe you didn't understand that I meant that after today it cant be riden.

Comment

Your insurance may be in effect, but the vehicle is still unlicensed and therefore ineligible for use.

Comment

Ok I stand corrected, Desmo is correct, taken of the DOT site

Up to 15 days late You have 15 days after the expiry date to renew your vehicle licence. You can not drive your vehicle on the road during this time.
                              15 days – 3 months late You cannot drive your vehicle on the road; however you have three (3) months from the expiry date to renew your vehicle licence without the need to have the vehicle examined. The renewal period will be calculated from the previous expiry date where the fees are paid within this 3-month period.
                              Over 3 months late You cannot drive your vehicle on the road and you are required to return the number plates to us in order to avoid a penalty being issued. To re-licence your vehicle you will need to get your vehicle examined.

Comment

Working...
                              X