Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Textile jacket or body armour?

Hi all,

I already have some two piece leathers, but wanted to get a textile jacket as well.

I was set on buying the Dainese Portland 2 jacket (http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-portland-2-textile-jacket), when it suddenly occurred to me, was it better to buy a body armour suit (Alpinestars Bionic 2 Protection Jacket - RevZilla) and a kevlar jacket of some sort or the textile jacket?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

What is it that you want the textile jacket for?

Comment

Just something not as heavy or as hot as my leather jacket
      Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

Comment

have you considered perforated leather?

i'm about to buy a Teknic Violator... perhaps have a look at them.
        Teknic also do quite a few perf leather jackets, such as Chicane and Mercury

Alpinestars Indy jacket looks the goods too. i'm going with the teknic violator just due to it's armour (comes with back armour as well).
        oh and the other teknic jackets, and the A* Indy don't have liners.
        i want something decent for most of the year round.

Comment

My jacket has perf across the front and don't get me wrong is great (Collins Leathers Suzuka jacket), but just wanted something lighter.

Comment

I'd go the textile jacket. Alpinestars, Dianese and the like will have the top end safety gear with it so you cant go wrong really in that regard. I have both a leather (Alpinestars) and a textile (ixon). If its cold or raining i use the textile and its great. Never came off with it yet so not sure how it holds up in a crash but it seems well made.
            If i take the liner out then it does feel fairly flimsy but i only use it in winter nowadays. It's very lightweight compared to the leather jacket and provides more movement too.

EDIT: If your chasing a good price from an online store then EMAIL sportbiketrackgear.com. They only list retail prices online and can normally give about 15% off that if you enquire about their best deal on a particular product.
            Last edited by scotch; 29-04-2011, 10:43 PM.

Comment

Textile jacket. Armour makes you look like a dick.
              Originally posted by Desmo
              Why be a cunt about it?

Comment

Huggy. If you want a perf-leather jacket then check out the Alpinestars GP-R JACKET. Its got a shitload of perf to it and is not too expensive. Tried getting one earlier this year but they (usa) will be out of stock until june/july.

Comment

Looking like a dick is fine as long as it saves my ass

Comment

Originally posted by Bushido View Post
                    was it better to buy a body armour suit and a kevlar jacket of some sort or the textile jacket?
                    Yes.

But seriously, if you're looking for something lighter and cooler why are you thinking of strapping on an extra layer of armor?

Comment

Well, hence why I was asking...do the armour suits give better impact protection than what they can squeeze into a textile jacket? It also gives flexibility to what I wear as a "jacket".

The A* textile one I was looking at originally, the armour in the forearm felt piss weak compared to their leather counterpart.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushido View Post
                        Well, hence why I was asking...do the armour suits give better impact protection than what they can squeeze into a textile jacket?
                        Yes. Armor suits are going to stay in the right places better in a crash than any jacket armor.
                        It also gives flexibility to what I wear as a "jacket". The A* textile one I was looking at originally, the armour in the forearm felt piss weak compared to their leather counterpart.
                        Get one with replaceable armor and put some good stuff in it, Forcefield is the best.

That said, don't forget all this gear is Plan B. Plan A is (obviously) don't crash, and that can be helped by not feeling like you're in a sauna during summer, hence better concentration on the road.

Comment

Thanks falcon, I agree that this is Plan B

I'll look up the Forcefield stuff to upgrade my Collins protection. Even though its Knox CE armour, the elbow stuff still doesn't feel as "thick" as the A* jacket I tried.

Comment

leather is best but in the warmer weather, sure, textile is fine. I had a major off while wearing a Joe Rocket jacket and it held up very well, all things considered.
                            I'm looking for a beautiful woman with a sick mind.

Comment

Originally posted by scotch View Post
                              Huggy. If you want a perf-leather jacket then check out the Alpinestars GP-R JACKET. Its got a shitload of perf to it and is not too expensive. Tried getting one earlier this year but they (usa) will be out of stock until june/july.
                              yeah, i have seen these as well... just did some more research then too

looks good. i'd probably go with the Teknic just because the armour looks a little better, i like the idea of having a liner to use, and the belt strap attachment feature (keeps lower back of jacket down to pants) seems handy...

it is very tempting to go with Alpinestars for aesthetics though! the GP-R at (online) $429 is < the violator at $449, but i'd probably get a biotech back protector as an upgrade on the GP-R so that would add another $30 i believe.

decisions decisions decisions.

what is peoples opinions on the racing hump on jackets? the Teknic Violator has one, the A* GP-R doesnt... the look of it doesnt bother me either way, i'll neither feel more awesome with it, or feel as though it looks doofish, so not fussed.

the hump would help in the case of an off wouldnt it? surely...

Comment

Working...
                              X