Toes on pegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toes on pegs

So, I'm reading that I should put my toes on the footpegs (well that 'ball' big before the toes). It certainly helps when cornering and pushing on the outside peg. Makes me feel much more agile and prepared, but when riding through stop/start traffic, the constant 'feet down, change gear, feet up' thing seems a bit cumbersome and awkward.

Some clarification from the experts in this area I'm sure will help.

I would have posted this in the 'newb' bit, but thought this issue effects most riders.
    Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
    Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

If I'm riding in anything other than stop/start stuff, it's balls of feet on pegs.
    Only when it slows down do I alter my foot position.

Comment

Is there anyone here who really knows muscles (not those who can only tell their arse from their elbow), who can explain reaction of the body to the two methods of foot placement on the pegs? I am thinking the full gamut of ankle-calf-thigh-glutes-lower back, etc Let the wrists and neck look after themselves this time.
      Also I am thinking sportbike riding style here. The others are more comfortable in themselves.
      Harleys make a noise ___ Ducatis make music

Comment

It has nothing to do with the body...

Its about bike control...

Comment

if you can't work it out for yourself that you need your feet forward for changing gears and to put them back when cornering then you should totally buy a cruiser, forget sports bikes you'll probably hurt yourself when you forget to brake or something.
          Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            if you can't work it out for yourself that you need your feet forward for changing gears and to put them back when cornering then you should totally buy a cruiser, forget sports bikes you'll probably hurt yourself when you forget to brake or something.
            You brake?
            Whatcha gonna do? Rap is not afraid of you
            Beat is for Sonny Bono, beat is for Yoko Ono

Comment

I stop/start with the centre of my foot on both pegs. Getting up and running I will put the balls of my feet on the pegs.
              I always pull the corresponding foot up when cornering or my feet scrape the ground.

Comment

Personaly i am not trying to get as much out of my bikes in traffic
                I only ride agresivly in none traffic type places
                REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                (anarchy in english )

Comment

i just rest the arch of my foot on the peg and leave it there, it keeps the levers in easy reach and i use my toe sliders as a guide that i'm running out of tyre.

The titanium toe sliders make more awesome sparkies than my knee sliders
                  Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

I kind of keep my foot below or above the gear lever, and cover the rear brake, anytime I'm accelerating, or slowing. Then I just move them backward on the pegs when I reach cruise speed. Shouldn't be any need to keep moving them back/forward between every gear change, surely?
                    ** NEW! Chat with the G-Force on #psb (irc.gamesurge.net) ... Now to actually get some friends ... **
                    "Lane Filtering is a spontaneous outburst of good sense in world smothered in twitchy and ever expanding safety margins."

Comment

Originally posted by Gray_ View Post
                      Shouldn't be any need to keep moving them back/forward between every gear change, surely?
                      More control is transmitted to the bike through the balls of your feet than through your arches.

Comment

I have this very same problem.

I recently crashed my yammie through a roundabout, mostly coz i'm a huge noob (damn fixations!) but also because i had my toes on the pegs then when I ran out of time to evade I didn't have the rear brake available...probs cldve saved myself a bit o' road rash and busted forks if I was on my arches but at least I'll know to pick a better line next time :\

Comment

Sorry Kenjii ^^^ that had nothing to do with you foot placement, but your inexperience by the sounds of it. Sounds like target fixation, rather than foot placement. bummer though about your accident.
                          Originally posted by Red_is_Best
                          hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr John View Post
                            More control is transmitted to the bike through the balls of your feet than through your arches.
                            I fully agree with this statment
                            I am at a loss to see why people are looking at rideing with the (IMO) agressive rideing style as a norm.
                            I have at times felt the need to have my full weight on the pegs and maximise the benifits of weight distrabution.
                            I do feal that in traffic this is as a rule rather un necisary
                            I would much rather have comfert and gears more readily available.
                            Especialy when on the 600,
                            As for the rear brake, it is a nice thing that i have as an option to change line but thats about the most i use it at the moment.
                            I used to cover the back brake alot in corners.
                            That was a good habit that I should get back into.

I highly recomend doing some track time, the people whos will give you tips are much better at this than I.
                            Its a good thing for all riders to do once in a while.
                            REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                            (anarchy in english )

Comment

Originally posted by Kenjii~ View Post
                              I have this very same problem.

I recently crashed my yammie through a roundabout, mostly coz i'm a huge noob (damn fixations!) but also because i had my toes on the pegs then when I ran out of time to evade I didn't have the rear brake available...probs cldve saved myself a bit o' road rash and busted forks if I was on my arches but at least I'll know to pick a better line next time :\

you crashed because you were inexperienced and entered the roundabout too fast and initiate lean too early or too late. Also wear proper riding gears next time.

on topic though, i highly recommend riding on the toes as most of the OEM rear sets are built for comfort and they are quite low you could eat the toes of your shoes out if you lean far enough. You will also have greater control of your body on the bike and it will also put you into the proper riding position.

Re: complaints about comfort, if you want comfort you would have driven your cage or ride a goldwing. I ride daily on my toes with riding boots on sometimes for hundreds of kays and i am just used to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X