No announcement yet.

Riding in Bus Lane - Do I have a case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding in Bus Lane - Do I have a case?

Had a small issue with an officer of the law on Wednesday just gone. Want to share my experience and possibly get some feedback.

Was travelling down South St toward Armadale from Murdoch University. The time was near 4pm, but unknown as to exact times as I have no way to check the time while riding.

I was in the left lane at the lights of Benningfield Rd, where the shops are. Just after the lights, the three lane road becomes two lanes with a bus lane. The time of the bus lane starts at 4pm. While stopped at the lights I noticed said officer parked in the center lane, on his big white bike, at a guess about 8-10 cars back.

As I travel up and down this road 10 times I day I pay close attention to to the giant signs hanging above the road which indicate that a bus lane is in operation. At the time I went through the lights, the sign was not on, and without knowing the time, I was not aware that the bus lane was in fact in operation. No matter, after the lights I moved to the center lane as I find it a safer lane to travel, more time to react to cagers pulling out from both sides if the situation arises. I did not break the law during any of this time, followed the speed limit, indicated, did all that jazz, nothing wrong at all! Approaching the next set of lights, I indicated and moved back to the left lane and stopped behind another car. My turn at Pinetree Gulley Road was shortly after the lights, and better to move over while it is safe than try to push in. Keeping in mind there was still no indicating that the bus lane was in operation, there was no busses, and there were other vehicles traveling in that lane, including the one that pulled up in front of me.

After a few moments of being in the lane, I noticed the officer pull up beside me and tell me to pull into the next street on the left. I obliged, still unsure what I had done wrong. After stopping, the officer grabbed his fine pad and asked me for my license. I asked what the issue was, and he informed me that I was riding in the bus lane. I questioned the matter politely, informing him that the sign indicating a bus lane was off when I went past, there were other cars traveling in the lane at the time I moved into it, and I have no way of knowing that the time was just past 4 as I can't check the time. He seemed pretty ignorant, simply writing the fine instead of attempting to justify his reasoning. I now have a fine for $100 and 3 demits! for riding in an operational bus lane without knowing, at 4 minutes past 4!

I couldn't care less if it was just a cash fine, Revenue raising, sure, but c'mon, 3 points for unknowingly breaking the law, and without proper justification from the police officer, it seems a bit absurd! I am going to speak to my police offer mate to get some advice, just wanted to share my experience and get some feedback, have others had similar issues with the law over such petty things? Would I have a chance arguing my case? Would love to hear from you.

Edit: Apologies for the typo in the original title. This post has nothing to do with bus land at all

I would suggest that no, you don't have a case. Whether you were aware or not, you were riding in an operational bus lane. The cop was an asshole for writing you up for it but technically he was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by DjOli View Post
      I have no way of knowing that the time was just past 4 as I can't check the time. He seemed pretty ignorant...
      You weren't aware of the time - perhaps he thought the same?

Comment

Yep, you're fucked.

Next time someone says "cops aren't all that bad", remember this before you agree with them.
        "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

But hang on. If the cop wrote the ticket timestamped at 4:04 and the bus lane starts at 4 then by the time the cop noticed your illegal move, caught up to you, asked you to pull over, to which you rode down the road in order to take the next exit, then stopped, then took your gear off, then discussed your illegal move, I think that would have taken greater than 4 minutes....

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
          Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed
          So it seems there IS a command file code in windows/microsoft updater that pings small lines of to-fro data.. like a cookie to allow/refresh 'critical updates'
          It also serves as a portal for clever code writers to embed 'dormant till pinged'.....ransomware...I love tech....amidointhisrite..?

Fess up who hacked GSX's account? This post was perfectly readable in every way

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkee View Post
            But hang on. If the cop wrote the ticket timestamped at 4:04 and the bus lane starts at 4 then by the time the cop noticed your illegal move, caught up to you, asked you to pull over, to which you rode down the road in order to take the next exit, then stopped, then took your gear off, then discussed your illegal move, I think that would have taken greater than 4 minutes....

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
            I think the time on the ticket is time of offence, not time of writing the ticket...

Comment

Discretion, a warning, education, telling you to buy a $5 watch and attach it to your triple clamp. All of these things would have worked too.

Instead you got an arsehole. Sucks to be you.

It's like school zones. I don't have kids, have only the vaguest idea when they are on holidays or school is in, yet if I speed at 7:34 in a 40 zone, I'll still get done and cop it on the chin, as I broke the letter of the law.

PS. I think the time is the alleged time of offence, not the time he wrote the ticket.
              For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
              For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Originally posted by BenG View Post
                I think the time on the ticket is time of offence, not time of writing the ticket...
                According to my time checking on my phone, he handed me the ticket at 4.05. Not saying cops times are synced to Apple, just saying...

Comment

oh dude that is brutal - however I guess technically the cop is right - still I agree, the punishment doesn't fit the crime... seems to be the way with traffic cops tbh. I got $100 and 3 demerits for changing lanes in front of a cop car, which he deemed to be unsafe... which it clearly wasn't, I mean who the hell cuts off a cop car ? anyways... life goes on.

oh and I think you may have had a case to talk him out of it before he wrote it, after the fact, no chance really.

Comment

Challenge it in court, be worth the extra few bucks in an attempt to save your 3 points, I would argue the officers watch was not calibrated to the grenich mean time and therefor his estimation of the time was not accurate.

Fuck the cunt, make him spend a day waiting around court and do more paperwork for being a pig.

Comment

Originally posted by Abaddon View Post
                      Fuck the cunt, make him spend a day waiting around court and do more paperwork for being a pig.
                      You will probably loose, but do it anyway for this reason.

Comment

Depending on how long you were in the bus lane for, where he stopped you and whether you told him which street you intended to turn down, you may be able to argue you were turning down the next side street. I think you're allowed to be in the bus lane for 300m before turning off South Street?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoof View Post
                          Depending on how long you were in the bus lane for, where he stopped you and whether you told him which street you intended to turn down, you may be able to argue you were turning down the next side street. I think you're allowed to be in the bus lane for 300m before turning off South Street?
                          I had literally been in the bus lane for 10m, maybe less.

Comment

That is seriously just bullshit and rude.

I'd take it to court. Absolutely.

Comment

Sounds like someone is meeting his quota.

Comment

Working...
                              X