Help educating my non riding colleagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help educating my non riding colleagues

We have lots of emphasis on behavioural based safety where I work and I recently volunteered to do a safety related presentation to a small team of people.
    Since not being killed while riding is quite dear to my heart, and it has been shown (Hurt et al. 1981) that car drivers with motorcycling experience have a lower chance of being involved in a crash with a motorcyclist; I thought I'd do one that educates non riders in some of the behaviours and high risk situations that I'd like them to be aware of.

I'm not going to make it a rant about general driving behaviour, keeping left, indicating etc. it is about situations where knowledge of what riding/riders are about can help a car driver avoid an accident with a motorbike.
    I'll be doing it in a way that tries to get drivers on side and hopefully makes them think a little about whether the right thing to do is look out for a bike so they can move over a little or so they can block them from filtering.
    Areas so far could include:
    Showing riders as human (me for one, plus I'll use the Think Bike advert )
    Why drivers shouldn't dislike bikes (e.g. less congestion for drivers)
    Filtering to front at lights (why we do it, why it's not a big deal for car drivers, what to look out for)
    Little things like bikes don't have self cancelling indicators, what that can mean.
    Situations where bikes can get hidden behind other traffic.
    Situations where a driver can be caught out by a bikes better acceleration
    Why we move about in our lane.
    Why we accelerate quickly from lights (no not the reason about us all having huge penises or [insert equivalent female metaphor])

You get the idea. It's about educating drivers on bike related situations that will help them avoid being involved in an accident. i.e. getting them on side. It's not about how we iz so kool an hav madz skillz and wheelys are kool and fuk u ima cumdoaburnout in yur drive cuz you all drive like cuntz. Yes, I'm a big boy and will be able to make it a positive PR exercise.

Any ideas or good sources of info (not crash stats) you may want to contribute to this would be gratefully received.
    Let me repeat, it's not about standing infront of a bunch of car drivers and telling them all the shit things they do that piss me off, go HERE for that. It's about imparting snippets of info and attitudes that you have as a rider, that make you less likely to kill a fellow rider when you're driving a car.
    Incidentally most of these situtions have an yang on the riders side that involves avoiding the situation in the first place.
    Cheers
    "Speed Kills". The stupid person's answer to a complex problem.

Good onya for doing this, I think it's going to be difficult. IMO the reason us bikers are good at avoiding accidents in our cages with other bikers is because we know what it's like to ride a bike *no surprises there*. The vulnerability of riding, the lack of any metal between you and the road. All these things make you appreciate how dangerous a fall from a bike, or collision would be and someone who's never been on a bike wouldn't/doesn't get it. Perhaps you can offer to pillion all the people on your course, so they can get the idea?

Good work, I hope it goes well.
    I've got a Blade, I'm not afraid...

CBR1000RR - 171HP|114Nm|Yoshi CF Slipon WRX STI - 266HP|399Nm|Ultrex 3"TBE|PW CAI

Comment

I have always thought about something like this needs to be done!

And now we have you hamster to thank I hope it all goes well for you and this really takes off

Comment

See I posed the scenario to my close riding friends - ones who've ridden for years, and are respected members of the community - that all people learning to drive should experience what it is like to be on a motorbike as a part of their training, so they understand exactly what you've outlined above. They rejected it out of hand with no foundation for their argument.

I have not much to ad, but big props to you for doing this!!
        Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
        One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
        . .

Comment

I don't think you will ever be as aware in your car if you haven't been on a bike.

Comment

Yes, I agree it won't be as good as real experience. But I would hope it would move things in the right direction. I think even people with mates who ride are a little bit more sympathetic to riders. I.e. The thinking behind the Think Bike ad.

I like the idea of pillioning people in the team. I assume you mean only the hot women though ;-)

Incidentally I'm happy to give the presentation to anyone who wants to try the same thing where they work.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamster View Post
              I like the idea of pillioning people in the team. I assume you mean only the hot women though ;-)
              Ha ha, yes of course. You could even get a female rider to pillion the hot men, thus keeping to the 'one cock per bike' rule?!

*edit* Get someone with a Harley to pillion all the ugly people!
              I've got a Blade, I'm not afraid...

CBR1000RR - 171HP|114Nm|Yoshi CF Slipon WRX STI - 266HP|399Nm|Ultrex 3"TBE|PW CAI

Comment

You might try to show them the difference between driving and riding from a purely enviromental point of view...

Video of a rider from inside his helmet all you get is the view, breathing and wind noise, then from inside the car where you have radio, warmth, phone, cigarette, heater/aircon, comfort, distraction etc and then ask them to just take the time to be aware of the possibility of a rider being nearby.
                Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

^^^ that is a good idea. you could film the same stretch of road, the same time of day (say, the morning commute/school run) filmed first from the bike perspective, then the cars, slowly introducing more and more distractions.

i think that might really highlight the difference/risks between the two.

i was just talking to someone the other day about this sort of thing. she was driving and i was in the front passenger seat, when i suddenly started to get very agitated and nervous. it was only after a short time that i realised it was because she was sitting in the left lane, sitting directly in the blindspot of a large 4x4 on her right, and driving too close for confort to the car in front.

it was one of those countless situations you find yourself in on the bike, and because of the increased risk/vulnerability you get yourself out of there pretty quickly. however, when encased in 2t of steel this driver was oblivious.

Comment

Yes, I was thinking of using video. I might mount my camera in car and bike and see if I get something useful. Problem is I certainly don't want to be putting myself in the situations that poor riders can put themselves in, in order to illustrate the point, but I guess I can illustrate the bad while demonstrating the good. That probably doesn't make sense, but I'm saying I can show video of me not riding in someones blind spot and point out that some riders would not be as careful so look out for them. I have a bit of time so I'll take some video and see what I can use. Not sure I've got the time to follow your suggestion though Martin1.

Incidentally I have a youtube vid of a motorcyclist getting hit from behind in a queue of traffic to help illustrate why some riders would prefer to split/filter in traffic. If anyone has other such clips that help illustrate a point I'd be grateful for a link (I can find plenty on how to fuck up a wheelie thanks)

Comment

I recently volunteered to do a safety related presentation to a small team of people.
                      Forget the bike part, just teach them how to indicate and merge.

Comment

Incidentally I'm happy to give the presentation to anyone who wants to try the same thing where they work.
                        I'll have to remember that for our HSE guys
                        Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
                        One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
                        . .

Comment

Originally posted by Maxo View Post
                          Forget the bike part, just teach them how to indicate and merge.
                          I'm good, but I'm not sure I'm that good.

Comment

You could also grab some video of your ride to/from work and point out just how many times people try to merge into you 'cause they "didn't see you". Perhaps it will encourage them to head check or use their mirrors.
                            Filbert on Moto Guzzis;
                            Originally posted by filbert
                            it's like a ducati with the motor put in sideways for people who are too scared of the power of harley davidsons

Comment

Yes, I was thinking of using video. I might mount my camera in car and bike and see if I get something useful. Problem is I certainly don't want to be putting myself in the situations that poor riders can put themselves in, in order to illustrate the point, but I guess I can illustrate the bad while demonstrating the good. That probably doesn't make sense, but I'm saying I can show video of me not riding in someones blind spot and point out that some riders would not be as careful so look out for them. I have a bit of time so I'll take some video and see what I can use. Not sure I've got the time to follow your suggestion though Martin1.

Incidentally I have a youtube vid of a motorcyclist getting hit from behind in a queue of traffic to help illustrate why some riders would prefer to split/filter in traffic. If anyone has other such clips that help illustrate a point I'd be grateful for a link (I can find plenty on how to fuck up a wheelie thanks)
                              You don't need to show them any errors, just how the perception of the act of getting from point a to point b is so markedly different on the bike, if you mount the cam on your helmet for the bike and on your head for the car, it will just show the differences. (admittedly inside your helmet would be better to give the audio as well.).
                              Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

Working...
                              X