Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had a headache with pictures!

Idea is:
    Buetooth intercom kits are fairly expensive right? couple hundred bucks to buy two, and they only connect to each other... my idea is this, create an app for blackberry/ iPhone / nokia etc whereby it utilizes the bluetooth already on the phone to connect to other phones and devices with the same app. You chat via headsets, and while the range won’t be as good as the proper ones you'd be spending 1/100 of the cost, you’d really only be using it when another phone is within 20-30m away…or 5 to 6 inches away if you have an iPhone. (depending on each devices capability)
    The app could have features such as public chat where automatic connection to other devices occurs, or private where you might link up with a mate or mates before going on a ride...

You'd be using fairly inexpensive headsets, but it's really down to personal choice, eg i use "skull candy inked" headphones/mic inside my helmet anyway with music and phonecalls

I have no idea whats involved in doing this and am going to look into it with a company in Melbourne that developed the "fruit ninja" game, soooooo thoughts? ^_^

something like this?
    Bluetooth Walkie-Talkie for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the iTunes App Store
    I tried being reasonable.
    I didn't like it.

Comment

Fuck!

Comment

Guess it would be exactly like that, would be nice if it could bridge other platforms tho not only iPhone, so you could have a blackberry user talking to a nokia user talking to an iPhone... one solid platform similar to "what's app"... also one that uses a headset... could be developed further.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowballas View Post
          Guess it would be exactly like that, would be nice if it could bridge other platforms tho not only iPhone, so you could have a blackberry user talking to a nokia user talking to an iPhone... one solid platform similar to "what's app"... also one that uses a headset... could be developed further.
          You mean like this?

https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result

Comment

Oh great, a walkie talkie that works over a range of a few metres.... How useful - not.

You can buy $29.95 walkie talkies in toy shops with ranges that are 10x longer.
            "Live Long and Prosper"

Bayswater Martial Arts and Yoga Centre

Comment

Originally posted by r0gue View Post
              Yeah kind of, the push to talk thing uses data I think not bluetooth, so you'd be subject to data charges and delays in communication.

Originally posted by Spock View Post
              Oh great, a walkie talkie that works over a range of a few metres.... How useful - not.

You can buy $29.95 walkie talkies in toy shops with ranges that are 10x longer.
              This is true, but for four dollars or however much a app costs and having it on your phone not being laden down with yet another gadget... but i see your point.

And after googling the average range of bluetooth the consensus is pointing to roughly between 5 and 30 meters.

Ah well, though i was on to a winner! HA!

Comment

Even if you were to use the next device as a jumping device to another device and then on again, you'd very quickly destroy the functionality of the system. All phones would be leached by other peoples calls, and you'd fast lose the system.
                Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
                One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
                . .

Comment

I thought those things were invented already.
                  IvanStyle
                  Last edited by IvanStyle; 11-05-2011, 02:45 PM. Reason: Wrong Post
                  sigpic

Comment

you *might* get 10m+ of bluetooth reception from your phone/ipod.
                    try it while walking- you will shrink that to about 5m. Try it at 60-100kmh and that goes to 1m.

I still havent seen anything other than a dedicated device (blueant/whatever) that I'd be happy with.

Comment

just buy the proper headsets!

I bought a couple, good for taking calls and they can pair like 6 together I think, not just 2.... but yeh they were a couple of hundred bucks... I reckon invest in some sign language classes instead
                      In rod we trust.

Comment

I guess I'm the only one here with the shining?

Comment

Originally posted by benspoon View Post
                          you *might* get 10m+ of bluetooth reception from your phone/ipod.
                          try it while walking- you will shrink that to about 5m. Try it at 60-100kmh and that goes to 1m.

I still havent seen anything other than a dedicated device (blueant/whatever) that I'd be happy with.
                          So the communication range between 2 devices traveling at the same speed decreases as speeds increase?

Comment

yeah big time. the faster you go, the shitter the reception.
                            At $2.00 my bluetooth headset cuts out even when the reciever is hard up against my transmitting ipod- found the same with a Jabra transmitter and the internal one, sony and plantronics headsets.
                            Ive never heard of that problem from the dedicated bike intercom units.

Comment

Working...
                            X