Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can a seller realistically expect from a buyer who wants a test ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can a seller realistically expect from a buyer who wants a test ride?

I had a call last week from my ad for my CBR1000RR for sale on Gumtree and the chap seemed rather taken aback when i said what i would want from him, if he wanted a test ride. When i bought the bike, i went to veiw it, liked what i saw and left a deposit to hold it, while i went and got the full value in cash. The seller at the time did not ask for anything, but as i was not insured, i thought it only fair to leave the full agreed price in cash.

I asked my potential buyer for either:-

Proof of insurance for any bike (so mine was covered for any damage) and 2 forms of ID, showing the same address.

Or

The full asking price in cash.

Do you reckon this is fair, as it covers me for any dodgy stuff and might also keep the tyre kickers and test pilots away. Surely if someone is genuinely looking to buy a bike, this is not a problem?
    95 Yamaha Diversion 600, 95 Triumph Trophy, 96 Kwak ZX9R, 97 CBR 900RR, 98 GSXR 600, 99 R1, 2000 ZX6R, 2004 CBR 1000RR. Too many offroad bikes to mention, but mainly orange ones!!

I didn't know you could insure yourself for any bike you ride??

I wouldn't be coughing up full $ asking price for a ride, I may offer you the $ value of your excess if you wanted it but generally there is plenty of bikes to choose from in the second hand market and if it's one of the run of the mill production bikes, i'd probably move on to the next one rather than go through the hassle of carting bundles of cash around with me

but, good luck i'm sure there are plenty of folk that may cough up the cash up front

Comment

More and more people are getting burnt because of test ride thefts or accidents.

I think I'd be asking for them to have the money there. Two pieces of ID doesn't mean you get paid if they bin your shit, you still gonna have to hunt them down...
      "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Fair enough. You bin it, you bought it
        Nulla Tenaci Invia Est Via
        For The Tenacious, No Road Is Impassable

Comment

yeah full amount in cash and an ice cream to enjoy for while i wait as they test ride. a golden gaytime or something like that.

Comment

l think anything reasonable you ask for is fair...
            As you said ..If someone is genuine it should be no problem for them...
            l recently purchased a Ducati that cost me $$$$$
            l left my license & the cash with him before l rode it...
            Even then l only went up & down his drive way...
            To him it showed l WAS a genuine buyer

l might add that he didnt ask for any of that
            But he did say afterwards that my gestures made him more comfortable...

Comment

If someone wants it, they'll leave the cash for a test ride. Helps to get rid of time wasters!
              Originally posted by Commuter
              23) Your girlfriends parents will not be impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her.
              24) If your girlfriend is not impressed when you show up on your bike with a spare helmet for her, get a new girlfriend.

Comment

Full amount in cash is a little suss...

I'd be asking for their license and wallet whilst they're on the bike.
                Also I'd stipulate the break it you buy it rule.

Ideally I'd follow them on another bike.
                c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

ALL bikes sold by me in the past I have asked for full asking price in cash before taking it for a ride , the same goes when I look at bikes , I take the cash or I DON'T EVEN ASK FOR A RIDE ...

and I check there drivers licences aswell ........... no licence,no cash ...... NO ride

if I or anyone else likes what they see and you can notice that the person has looked after the ride , you should have no problem in what you are buying(no need for test rides) ... IF you do pay the cash and take a bike for a test ride and dont think its for you, say thanx take your money and look else where .... no one looses

IVE done this for alot of years and yes it does ween out the tyre kickers ...
                  WARNING : this old dog bites !!

WARNING : BEFORE YOU THREATEN FIND OUT MORE ABOUT YOUR OPPONENT !!

Comment

So you hand over 10grand cash and count it. Then go for a ride, then come back and trust that the seller hasn't pinched a few hundreds out or re count it again. FUCK THAT! I'd move on and tell the seller where to go even if I was keen on buying it.

Comment

A woman crashed a friends bike in her drive way on a test ride a few years back.
                      Because you have authorised them to ride the bike, you cant get any money from them for damages, unless you have a signed statement saying they will pay all damages while they are riding.
                      To rub salt into the wounds, she said she didnt want a bike with scratches on it so she wont buy it

Comment

I think it depends on how old the bike is. If its near new, a private seller isn't really the place to test ride a bike to see if it is the bike for you. With an older bike, a test ride is a must, as it allows you to gauge what the condition is. But ultimately, it comes down to the sellers rules, as it is still his bike. Don't like it? Go elsewhere.
                        Can you help with foster care?
                        http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...needed-163289/

Comment

Whats wrong with insureing the bike .
                          Also have a chase rider , meet the byer at a servo, take a pic of them, have the chase rider ready.
                          chase rider has a caped off tank, the bike for sale has 1/4 tank.

Small cash bond mony, not a large sum.
                          Smile in a Clint Eastwood fashion.
                          REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
                          (anarchy in english )

Comment

Also: watch your insurance, many policies specifically exclude cover for test riding during the sale of the bike.

Originally posted by nyancat View Post
                            Full amount in cash is a little suss...

I'd be asking for their license and wallet whilst they're on the bike.
                            Also I'd stipulate the break it you buy it rule.

Ideally I'd follow them on another bike.
                            What would happen if YOU binned it whilst following them and scratched their wallet?
                            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

I guess I'd have to see if they were willing to exchange their wallet for my carbon fibre racing wallet tm c
                              c o o l s t o r y b r o

Comment

Working...
                              X