Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help advice needed for Ninja 250r possible clutch problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help advice needed for Ninja 250r possible clutch problem.

My Ninja 250r has been going into false neutral even when the bike is still rolling. I am wondering if this is common for Ninjas 250R to go into false neutral when you shift down from 2nd to 1st when the bike is moving still eg. coming to the stop at the lights etc? I had this problem the other day on the way to work I was coming up to a speed bump and I shift down from 3rd to 2nd gear and when I shift down to 1st at around 30km/hr on the speedometer the gear went into neutral and when I shift down again to go into 1st gear it made a really loud noise almost like an explosion (usually it makes a slight noise but this was much louder and it didn't sound normal) and I hear what sounded metal dropping on the ground. I couldn't find what broke off but the bike still riding normally and I don't know what it could be, quite possibly the clutch broke internally.

When I got home that night I put the bike on the rear stand and checked the front/rear sprockets and checked if it is in right order externally. The chain tension is correct and still got plenty of lube.

Called the dealer and I've been telling the guys about the false neutral since the first week I had the bike and they reckon at first the clutch is just too new etc. etc. farking beat around the bush really.
    I did changed Oil and filter at 3000km and before the oil change false neutral was more common and it was using dino oil. I used Mobil 1 Fully synthetic 4T 15W50 motorcycle oil, since the change the engine is running smoother and quieter but the false netural thing is still occuring.

I did the search on google and all I found was slip clutch due to incorrect oil being used so it doesn't really apply to my situation.Could you guys help with some suggestion, I'm going to be dropping the bike off at the dearlership tomorrow so at least I will know if they're bs me this time.
    Last edited by Raiden.; 13-05-2011, 02:03 PM.

:S is that oil for motorbikes? I've always used motul oil my self..

Comment

The oil is definately for motorcycles and it meets API SJ & JASO MA.

Comment

Maybe try a more firm shift, if you don't fully depress or lift the shifter the gear will not fully engage and will slip back out and into neutral, don't just press lightly until it clicks push ALL the way down on the shifter same goes for shifting up.
        Our Father, Who art at Phillip Island, Hallowed be thy name
        Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done
        In the backroads as it is on the freeway
        Give us this day our high-octane premium fuel
        And forgive us our lanesplitting
        As we forgive the four wheel drives, the volvos and the taxis
        And lead us not into gravel corners
        But deliver us from hand-held radars
        For thine is thy leather, thy denim, thy Gore-Tex and thy Kevlar
        Amen ORIGINAL POST BY DEB

Comment

I'm not too sure on this, but there is a big difference for 1st and 2nd gear on the ninja, so it makes a huge "clunk" sound when i click it down from 2nd to 1st whilst still rolling. Some have mentioned there there was this safety feature so that you don't accidentally click it into 1st while still moving which saves your engine from a lot of troubles.

About it going into neutral, you might have to give it a bigger swing of your foot, sometimes i accidentally shift from 1st to neutral and make a big idiot of myself

Comment

Thats not a false neutral between 1st and 2nd...that is neutral...

Be more positive with your shifting...

It is actually a longer shift between 1st and 2nd going either way due to neutral being in there too...

Comment

Originally posted by FRK View Post
              I'm not too sure on this, but there is a big difference for 1st and 2nd gear on the ninja, so it makes a huge "clunk" sound when i click it down from 2nd to 1st whilst still rolling. Some have mentioned there there was this safety feature so that you don't accidentally click it into 1st while still moving which saves your engine from a lot of troubles.

About it going into neutral, you might have to give it a bigger swing of your foot, sometimes i accidentally shift from 1st to neutral and make a big idiot of myself
              That's pretty normal when you shift down from 2nd to 1st to make "clunk" but it's quite embarassing when it make really loud clunk noise followed by grinding sound when the rev is quite high ~4000rpm. This happened to me atleast on one ocassion. I think it got to do with rev matching.

Originally posted by Rich View Post
              Thats not a false neutral between 1st and 2nd...that is neutral...

Be more positive with your shifting...

It is actually a longer shift between 1st and 2nd going either way due to neutral being in there too...
              I was definately positive when I am shifting geears. I use to shift it too soft when I first got the bike and I taught the clutch was [email protected]#ked. Took it down to the dealership and there's no finding of any faults so that's a good news.
              I thought positive netural finder stops the gear going into netural from 2nd/1st and 1st/2nd gear while the bike is still moving.

Comment

What everyone else said, make sure the clutch if fully engaged, positive shifts and rev matching (roll off for going up/rev for going down)
                "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

Cheers guys for all your advice. I am going to work on my gear changing technique.

Comment

Working...
                  X