Traction Control.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traction Control.

Hey guys, looking for a bit of an insight.

Is it worth it for the street?
    ie; ABS can save your skin. The same for T/C?

Im looking at a 2011 ZX10 so anyone riding one or just comments in general on T/C.
    I read its a good thing to have when pushing hard, but what about riding in general wet/slippery conditions, cold tyres, shit on the road etc etc?

Thanks in advance for some info (and helping me decide on my new bike)....Its not one of those threads.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Quite useless on the road and you can't do wheelie.

On the track depends on which sensitivity setting you have it at some ppl argue it's good some say it hinders
    Last edited by submit; 16-05-2011, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I wish I had some Traction control when I came out of turn 1 on the weekend. I don't remember what happened after that :o

"Flew up as high as an ambulance"
      "My dad did a massive jump"
      - Mike

Comment

It's on my list of "must have" for the next bike.

I see it as an extra safety measure which may just save you alot of pain.
        From what I've read, the kwaka system seems much less intrusive compared to the other systems going around.
        Riding - Living the dream...

Comment

Dont lead yourself to believe that the system is for people to jump on it from a 250, that zx10 will still kill you if ridden like a 250.... you still need to respect the throttle.
          Our Father, Who art at Phillip Island, Hallowed be thy name
          Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done
          In the backroads as it is on the freeway
          Give us this day our high-octane premium fuel
          And forgive us our lanesplitting
          As we forgive the four wheel drives, the volvos and the taxis
          And lead us not into gravel corners
          But deliver us from hand-held radars
          For thine is thy leather, thy denim, thy Gore-Tex and thy Kevlar
          Amen ORIGINAL POST BY DEB

Comment

I've got the Bazzaz TC system on my CBR600RR. It's not a pancea for snapping the throttle 100% mid corner ... you can still put yourself into the bushes. A system like Bazzaz requires a TC map to be constructed ... again something that takes a lot of thought and playing with. Bazzaz give you no help at all and say make your own map. It's a big spreadsheet with the X axis being RPM and the Y axis being throttle position with sensitivity numbers from 0 to 10. I'm thinking they're concerned with liability issues. I'm still tinkering with mine and learning. I'm a Civil Engineer so this stuff comes naturally to me. If you're not that type then buy a bike with it like the BMW or the new ZX10.

Now that I'm getting a feel for it I think it's great and worth the cost. So on the whole it's a good thing. You still need to ride with a smooth right hand but you should anyway. The TC is a rider aid that is worth having. I'm sure it's saved me a few times. The Bazzaz TC has a big warning about it only being for track riding. I think it would work fine on the road now that I've sussed it out.

My two bobs.
            I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
            2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Comment

Im looking at it more of a safety feature rather than a substitiube for harsh throttle control. Obviously if we were all perfect ABS wouldnt be required, but for that split second it could save a fair bit of heartache.

So why not the same for the power side of things.

Comment

To each their own, but I despise 'intelligent' cars and bikes. ABS, traction and yaw control etc. I find it more unsettling having the vehicle doing something I didn't ask it to than losing traction.
                "Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." - Albert Einstein

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty, to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

because, for riding around on the road even in the country if you lose your front end mid corner you are stuffed regardless

Comment

Originally posted by JuanPablo View Post
                    To each their own, but I despise 'intelligent' cars and bikes. ABS, traction and yaw control etc. I find it more unsettling having the vehicle doing something I didn't ask it to than losing traction.
                    With the system I have you never feel it anyway. It's such a subtle intervention. Cutting one or two sparks at 10,000 is all it takes. Although bystanders on the side of the track can hear it working.

It certainly doesn't take away the skill required to ride fast nor the enjoyment when you feel comfortable doing it.
                    I'll be riding for you #52, my dear son, Cameron Taylor Elliott 1985-2009
                    2008 CBR600RR and 2010 GSXR750 Track Bikes, KTM530EXC Enduro bike wrist breaker

Comment

I have it on my bimmer and in anything other than Slick mode it is very intrusive on the street to the point i feel its dangerous,if you crack the throttle open the wheel will come up then TC slams it back down,and unless you roll off very quickly it will pogo,in slick mode it will allow wheelies for quite some distance
                      On the track i catch the light flickering coming out of the Basin and onto the main straight,do i trust it to be able just crack the throttle wide open NO it probably will be ok
                      It would be nice if the bimmer one was adjustable like the Duke with different levels where as at the moment it adjusts itself depending upon which power mode you are in

Comment

Andy has it on the Streetfighter, but it is now permantly off, he has decided he now prefers the traction control of his right wrist.

Comment

I've had it on 1098R since mid 08. DTC 8 settings allows selection of a level that can have controllable wheelspin for those skilled enough to back it in. Not me. I like it when I hit detergent in a roundabout and lose the back sideways and it allow control out of the slide without breaking my neck. There are many times it has helped in a safety sense.

I use setting 2 and 4 usually. 4 will allow wheelies if you don't nail the throttle in first but roll it up. Same treatment up to 4th gear. It's not a wheelie killer on steady power up wheelies. 2 Is not useful on loose surfaces as it can spin and keep going. Controllably of course.

I'm sold on DTC and am even considering an ABS bike.
                          The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott52 View Post
                            I've got the Bazzaz TC system on my CBR600RR. It's not a pancea for snapping the throttle 100% mid corner ... you can still put yourself into the bushes. A system like Bazzaz requires a TC map to be constructed ... again something that takes a lot of thought and playing with. Bazzaz give you no help at all and say make your own map. It's a big spreadsheet with the X axis being RPM and the Y axis being throttle position with sensitivity numbers from 0 to 10. I'm thinking they're concerned with liability issues. I'm still tinkering with mine and learning. I'm a Civil Engineer so this stuff comes naturally to me. If you're not that type then buy a bike with it like the BMW or the new ZX10.

Now that I'm getting a feel for it I think it's great and worth the cost. So on the hole it's a good thing. You still need to ride with a smooth right hand but you should anyway. The TC is a rider aid that is worth having. I'm sure it's saved me a few times. The Bazzaz TC has a big warning about it only being for track riding. I think it would work fine on the road now that I've sussed it out.

My two bobs.

Very true that comment, you can't keep it puckering up everytime the rear end breaks loose. ^_^

One day, I'll get traction control on all 3 bikes ... one day.
                            07 MV F41000R
                            09 Blazing orange Speed Triple
                            07 CBR 600RR trackbike
                            sigpic http://www.ozspeedphotography.com/

Comment

Obviously for everything there is for and against opinions.
                              I wouldnt have it in my car, and dont, I feel the bike is different. A little bit less room for error.

I would like to say i dont need it but there is people on here who can ride WAY better than me, and have WAY more experience, if even one person says "yeah there was this one time, it saved me from sliding down the road".

Its good enough for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X