Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Killing engine at lights, and filtering on a 250.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killing engine at lights, and filtering on a 250.

OK I did a search but it wasn't very helpful. So just quickly ...

1 - is there any reason to not kill my engine when I know the lights are going to be a while changing? I ride a CBF250 which is air-cooled and it has no temp gauge, or even a temp light. I guess it won't overheat, but, mainly it's because at the lights it will idle at 3k RPM and it's annoying me a bit. Normally it's 1.5k but after riding for a bit, it idles much higher.

Will I wear out my starter thingy too fast, or what? Will the battery drain after sitting with the headlight on at too many lights in one ride?

2 - Filtering through stopped traffic at lights. I see other bikes do it past me. I want to do it. I've done it once. The control isn't the problem, it's if I pull up at the front, in front of a knob-end in a Commodore or Falcon, and he wants to give it some. My 250 isn't going to keep up so I'll be in a bad spot. Any advice? Sooner or later I've got to learn to do it, right?

Dunno. Just thinking out loud, kinda ...

Cheers guys.
    -Gray
    ** NEW! Chat with the G-Force on #psb (irc.gamesurge.net) ... Now to actually get some friends ... **
    "Lane Filtering is a spontaneous outburst of good sense in world smothered in twitchy and ever expanding safety margins."

Turn your idle screw so you drop your idle. You set it when its warm not cold.

Don't turn your engine off at lights. You never know when you'll need to gas it from the lights.

Battery won't drain don't worry.

Learn how to launch better. You should be able to beat most cars. Or don't filter next to knobs who look like they're going to race.
    Wes

Comment

If so called knob guns it that hard, almost guarantee there will be a pretty decent sized gap to slot in behind him.

Comment

1. Might have a loose spark plug or vac leak

Dont kill the engine incase you cant start it again and accidentally get knocked off by a passing car
        Last edited by Halo_2; 16-05-2011, 07:56 PM.
        "Some people are like clouds. When they disappear it's a beautiful day"

Comment

yeah if i see a commodore that i think is modified or driven by anyone other then a mum ill slot in behind them or wont split. 9 times out of 10 they will try race u and its not worth trying.

Comment

i have a 250 as well i filter through but generally stop before the cars at the front, this gets you mostly to the front and there wont be any need to gas it from the lights as the front cars are a barricade for the people behind you. If there slow filter past them from takeoff, easy :p

Comment

Don't turn off.

You will only be in a little trouble if you end up between 6 knob-ends (three either side) at the lights. If one takes of too quick for you slot in behind. You 250 will beat most cars out of the lights and there's always plenty of people scratching their nuts or yaking on the mobile when the lights change.
              -

Comment

i often shut down after filtering if im waiting for a long light cycle, i imagine it would be annoying when someone parks a 1000cc undertail system 2 foot from your face for several minutes
                Originally posted by Bendito
                If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                  i often shut down after filtering if im waiting for a long light cycle, i imagine it would be annoying when someone parks a 1000cc undertail system 2 foot from your face for several minutes
                  What happens if it doesn't fire up again? Your stuck at the lights with cars flying down either side of you... Not worth the risk IMO.

Comment

im fortunate that none of my bikes suck

when i start them, they start
                    If we get to a stop and we are missing a dozen bikes and you are last, it was your fault. Don't be that guy. No one likes that guy.

Comment

Filter to the front or not at all

Comment

Originally posted by g0zer View Post
                        im fortunate that none of my bikes suck

when i start them, they start
                        Bikes break down, and usually at the most inconvenient time. It may only happen one time in 1000 but thats all it takes...

Comment

Definitely leave the engine running, especially if you need to kick start your bike :awesome:

Most of the time if you launch properly even a 250cc can beat a falcodore for the first 20-30m. The only way for the car to beat you is if they rev it high and dump the clutch, which case you'll know they're gonna drag you before the lights turn green.
                          The faster you go, the slower you age.

Comment

Originally posted by BenG View Post
                            It may only happen one time in 1000 but thats all it takes...
                            for what? sitting there at the lights looking like a prat? wooo

ive never had a bike fail to restart after a normal shutdown. ive had engines blow up underneath me several times, there is more risk of being involved in an accident when they blow up.. you should give up riding now before a bike blows up under you.

Comment

Originally posted by kapyong View Post
                              Filter to the front or not at all
                              ^^
                              Thanks for all the responses so far guys. Can somebody explain the reasoning behind kapyong's comment?
                              Wouldn't I be slightly safer, 1 car back from the front? Kind of feels easier to slot in there and wait, rather than rolling my front wheel right out in front of the lead car. Dunno...?
                              ** NEW! Chat with the G-Force on #psb (irc.gamesurge.net) ... Now to actually get some friends ... **
                              "Lane Filtering is a spontaneous outburst of good sense in world smothered in twitchy and ever expanding safety margins."

Comment

Working...
                              X