Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carrying petrol

hey all.
    whats the best,safest way to carry petrol on long trips.
    about 4 or 5 lt,s

In the tank...

Comment

in the tank
      Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

Originally posted by Martin Luther King Jnr
      One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.
      . .

Comment

Originally posted by AWSE View Post
        In the tank...
        i wa going to edit my message with . not including the tank.

...wishing i had

Comment

Just going to have to get one of those plastic red jerry cans from your local auto store, and keep it in a back pack or strapped to your pillion seat.
          Never had to carry petrol myself.

Comment

naaaawwwww
            Commander Keen and Shady 7/8 are doing the Kiwi Shitbox rally 2016 as the Dropkick Dropbears- donate here to help us change cancer!

. .

Comment

Have a look on some dirt bike sites...

There's a few different types of extra tanks avaiable that can strap on pillion seat. Or buy a 5ltr jerry can and secure it to pillion seat.

. .

Comment

il chek out a few dirt bike sites.
                just wanting to know of any recomended brands, or dangers ect

thanks for replys

Comment

soak your clothes in it, and squeeze like a sponge into tank as required.
                  Originally posted by Abuse this
                  Get a load of this pussy, he wouldn't travel back in time to murder a baby.

Comment

Originally posted by brinno View Post
                    il chek out a few dirt bike sites.
                    just wanting to know of any recomended brands, or dangers ect

thanks for replys
                    Originally posted by Lit View Post
                    DAY 2... 29th April 2009
                    I woke up happy thinking fuck this I will make it to Melbourne on this bike... or I will carry it home, at least I can say I tried. I filled up the oil that had been leaking from the previous day. It is not good to sit at 16 000rpm+ all day.

I was on my way happy and confident. I was really flying now. Somewhere before the Fraser ranges I was having a bit of fun on the high speed corners. Then it happened. I felt the bike jolt a little, it had a bit more power. Fucking aye I though as I powered on into the next corner. I exited the corner and lent up to look in my rear view mirror and noticed my swag wasn't there. BUGGER!!! No worries its just fallen off, I will go back and pick it up...

I went back down the road and saw a big pile of burning shit. I realized straight away it was my swag. I jumped off the bike and as I got both feet off the bike and on the ground BOOOM!!! I had a 5litre metal jerry can of petrol in my bag so there was no question everything in there was gone. A truck and 2 cars with caravans were pulled over. I spoke to them for a bit someone pulled out a fire extinguisher which didn't work and then they all left while I salvaged some stuff.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymaJvE2NUkM]YouTube - Swag burn part 1[/ame]

You can see the swag was still burning haha.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waUw6XYJfdo]YouTube - Swag burn part 2[/ame]

*I have no pictures of the previous day as my video camera no longer works. All these pictures and videos were shot on my mobile phone*

After this happened I got on the bike and continued riding, about 1kilometer down the road the bike started to have a hissy fit. So I pull over no worries its an old bike this happens on rare occasions. As soon as I start her up krunstable care pulls over to ask me a few questions. The first was "was it your swag that was burning?" so I explained the story:

"The swag was sitting on my exhaust getting very hot and as I failed to notice it was burning, it fell off, burnt more, blew up (Jerry can) and bobs yr uncle."

The female officer asked me if I was ok and what burnt.
                    "Well I had a swag, sleeping bag, spare clothes, chain lube, toiletries, my new video camera, motor oil, some spare bits/pieces and $150 in cash. All I have left now is what I am wearing and that (pointing at the ukulele)"

The male officer then said to me that he had also had a report that I was speeding at "excessive speed" to which I replied no. (no proof)

They then asked me about the ukulele as they thought I had strapped a violin to the back of the bike. They laughed and we parted. I made it another 2kilometers down the road and the bike had another hissy fit. BUGGER!!! No worries she will be fine if not the cops can help give me a lift.

I waited a couple of minutes and another guy on a bike rocked up. We chatted and we were both going to Melbourne so we decided to ride together. I was more than happy to have someone with me in case the bike broke down at least he could go and tell someone.

We went into the next servo and I bought another Jerry can (plastic) and then I had a bike that looked like this:

The burning swag left my rego disk a little cooked.

I tried to eat a sandwich but it made me feel a little sick so I decided I was going on the Mars bar diet I bought a blanket and off we went.

We pulled over at the side of the road where some caravaners were. We spoke to a few of them had a few laughs etc then I told the tale of "the great swag fire of 09" and they gave me some stuff to sleep on and a pillow which I was more than happy to borrow. I spent a very cold night wrapped up in the shit blanket and a sheet of tarp. I was warm mentally but not physically.

*to be continued*
                    Thanks Lit

Comment

plastic jerry can if it does fall off there's a greater chance of it just bouncing along and picking it up to strap it back on,

don't fill it, 75% is plenty will stop it leaking from expansion or splashing.
                      Do you remember the good old days before the internet?

when arguments were only entered into by the physically or intellectually able.

Comment

The bladder should be good for another 1L if you really fill yourself up. Advantage is that you don't need to carry anything extra, and it comes with a fuel hose.

Comment

Acerbis

. .

Comment

Cut a hole in your bike's frame, near the headstem. Maybe a round hole so you can glue a soft drink bottle lid onto it (to stop sloshing later). Then use araldite to fill any holes in the frame below - maybe use water to find where they are. Instant 5-15 litres (depending on bike model) of fuel storage right there.
                            "Once upon a time we would obey in public, but in private we would be cynical; today, we announce cynicism, but in private we obey."

Comment

Find a cheap second hand (or new) ventura rack that attaches to the back of the bike, strap jerry can to it, hey presto
                              Our Father, Who art at Phillip Island, Hallowed be thy name
                              Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done
                              In the backroads as it is on the freeway
                              Give us this day our high-octane premium fuel
                              And forgive us our lanesplitting
                              As we forgive the four wheel drives, the volvos and the taxis
                              And lead us not into gravel corners
                              But deliver us from hand-held radars
                              For thine is thy leather, thy denim, thy Gore-Tex and thy Kevlar
                              Amen ORIGINAL POST BY DEB

Comment

Working...
                              X