Blue sheen on front tyre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue sheen on front tyre

I was just checking out my tyres and noticed that the front chicken strip (or what's left of it) has a blue tinge to it.
    I've done a couple of trackdayz on them an whilst both the front and rear are well above the wear markers, the front seems to have this blue sheen on the edge.

I've heard that this can be caused by rapid overheating, and both back and front have balled up quite a lot on the edges from tracking.

Should I have them checked out before tracking with them again ?

Heard it can be the oils coming to the surface as well. I've got the same shit, lots of others do apparently

Comment

It'll always look like that way when water hits it. It'll be fine.
      Insert witty comment here

Comment

If the blue sheen is on the worn part of the tire you have been riding really hard and the tire has heat cycled, if it is on the chicken strip ride harder.
        sigpic

Comment

Love your advice there rabbit, it sounds like "crash, or crash trying"
          For LAMS information and resources - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-156358/
          For LAMS discussion and to ask questions - http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/foru...thread-143289/

Comment

Rabbit = the tire wisperer
            Love your work mate
            REPENT MOTHER FUCKER
            (anarchy in english )

Comment

Yep, IMO sounds like heat cycles. How many track sessions have you done on the tyres ? How many times have they heated up & cooled ?
              When compared to the cost of damage to you & your bike, dont stuff around, if you intend doing track sessions, put new rubber on it and get a set of tyre warmers. Maybe save them for normal street riding spares.
              Recently learnt the hard way myself. Gave no warning at all.

Comment

Barfridge- I still have chicken strips after doing two level 3 trakdayz outings ...trying to ride harder..

Hoddo- what tires where you running? Apparently street type tires suffer less from heat cycling, probably because they are stiffer, don't get as hot and use rubber less heat driven for grip. I have never worked my street tires hard enough to get the blue sheen but I have often seen it in the quicker bikes at track.

Andys-Another realty important thing. tire age, if the tire is getting a blue sheen and has had very little recent riding... beware of the tire hardening and having less grip.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit View Post
                  Barfridge- I still have chicken strips after doing two level 3 trakdayz outings ...trying to ride harder..

Hoddo- what tires where you running? Apparently street type tires suffer less from heat cycling, probably because they are stiffer, don't get as hot and use rubber less heat driven for grip. I have never worked my street tires hard enough to get the blue sheen but I have often seen it in the quicker bikes at track.

Andys-Another realty important thing. tire age, if the tire is getting a blue sheen and has had very little recent riding... beware of the tire hardening and having less grip.
                  Rabbit,
                  Tyres were Pirelli Supercorsa. Was all my fault, had never been told about heat cycles and setting things up properly for the track.
                  Lesson learnt and now getting heaps of good advice from the pro's and PSB suspects out at the track.

Comment

From what I've read the blue sheen is actually the silica component of the compound coming out cause by heat cycles the problem with this is that it hardens the compound so depending on how anal you are with rubber you can keep riding on the street with them but their shelf life is dropping

Work out yourself if they are safe even a tyre with this blue sheen if it's a sticky tyre will still be softer than say a touring tyre but then you need to evaluate whether your street riding really needs a sticky tyre

My tyres are only lasting 1 trackday at the moment so no longer have to worry about it

Comment

Are they blue when they haven't gotten wet? If so, probably ignore my advice. I suspected you noticed after the rain. My tyres are always blue after they get rained on and they're fine to go do silly things on. Road tyres are good for plenty of heat cycling.

Comment

It would be from the track I assume wilson

Comment

I don't think he's running a dedicated trackie though. Just a road bike that's been to the track a couple of times. Road tyres will heat cycle to the point where after a splash of water they'll blue up pretty easily. I'd be really surprised if he's baked tyres to the point he should be concerned.

Comment

A blue sheen?

Comment

Spoke to the guys at Tyres for Bikes today.
                              As Hammerhead suggested it is the silica in the compound coming out onto the surface which is an indicator of the tyres being run at a higher temperature and nothing to worry about.
                              I had to change the front anyway and the rear has the trip to Collie (and back) and the trackdayz left in it, and then it goes as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X