Heels... or Balls?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heels... or Balls?

Ya know, I've been riding for about 5 years now. For the first year, I'd always ride with the heels (or arch) of my feet on the peg. Felt natural and comfortable to hook the heel of the boot on the peg and hang the feet off.

That is, until I heard of, then saw a friend's plight. This friend is in the States. A few years ago (2001, to be exact), he got himself a little oil-burning trail bike. Can't remember what it was now. He'd go riding on trails out in California with his girlfriend in tow on an ATV. Like me, he'd ride with arches on pegs, feet hanging off. So one day, they're riding up an old creek bed. As he's riding up, he rides past a big rock.

He cuts it a little fine.

The rock caught his toes. with his foot on the peg and his toes caught by the rock and with the bike's forward momentum, well... snapped all 5 bones in his foot about halfway up.

He was in a wheelchair for months after that and couldn't walk without pain for a couple of years.

I now ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs. It feels natural and comfortable with the added bonus of allowing me to shift my weight, or move my legs much easier. And, of course, much less chance of catching any stray debris that mighe want to rip my foot off.

So. Are you a heel person or a ball person?
    Originally posted by http://www.textsfromlastnight.com
    (626): I'm trying this new thing, it's called standards

Balls!

*cough* toes even. I have small feet and they fit just nice on the peg. Good for cruising, pain in the bum when going down gears, have to move my foot forward. (so lazy!)

Comment

If your racing it's always balls of your feet, otherwise it's personal prefrance ... I do both ....
      Dale Britton MotorCycles: 5/115
      Albany Hwy, Vic Park, Ph: 9470-1234 ...

Kim Britton Kawasaki: 91 Dixon Rd, Rockingham, Ph: 9592-1113 ...

Comment

Balls, always
        <div align="center">
        "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Comment

Was taught to ride with balls/toes right from the outset - and yeah, does mean you have to move your feet, but I feel more stable that way anyway.
          I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

when on the track i found i naturally had to have the balls of my feet on the pegs to be able to shift my body effectivly, on longer rides or long straights i will have the pegs under the arches of my feet
            support honest cops, theres not many left

Comment

Feet move back on the pegs when I&#39;m getting right over. I&#39;ve got a nice bit of leather taken off my steel-cap boots from just riding locally. Size 16 feet don&#39;t help

Comment

It depends, heels when cruising around, ball and toes when I am riding a bit faster, or whatever feels comfortable at that time...but when riding off road with Moto X boots its normally heels...the boots are so thick I dont even feel the stones hitting them, unless they are really big ones
                It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Comment

All balls

Comment

Balls

Comment

I used to ride with the arches on the peg until I got comfortable on the VTR, now that I know how to control it properly I always ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs. In hindsight arches on the pegs seems weird . This way is more stable and natural for me!

Ohwell each to their own

Comment

Arches - Day to Day, especially in traffic etc.

Balls/Toes - when going for a blat
                        Feed 'em to the pigs, Errol....

Comment

Balls

Comment

Balls always... (no im not gay)

Comment

balls/toes mostly, i lift my legs up a bit and it puts my knees/upperlegs perfectly into the &#39;groove&#39; on the tank, perfect for hangin on with the legs and quite comfy too

occasionally use the arch of the feet (same as your friend did), it covers both levers, also handy for a dumbass like me in halting a wheely when its not expected to &#39;go large&#39; ...damn my bike has some poke when it gets a fistfull

Comment

Working...
                              X