I wanna mount something

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna mount something

I've had a search but didn't find anything on this one. Now, whilst sounding simple... I think this is a really easy one for a new kid to stuff up and look amazingly stupid in front of a lot of people. So please, overlook the stupidity of the question...

I've seen people's bikes parked up on curbs before, you know like the end bits at a row of parking spots... the place you might find the ticket machine.

I was just wondering what technique you use to get the bugger up there...

Just ride up... or would ya bounce back off the curb?
    Walk it and lift the front?
    Edge up to the curb and then give it a bit of a squirt?

... I feel stupid

1) Depends on ground clearance on the bike

2) Try standing up on the pegs when going over the bump, allows you to move your weight around a lot easier and your kees double as extra suspension to take the shock outa ya torso/arms and maintain control of the bike.

3) Look further then the kurb in front of where the bikes parked and see if theres a ramp or something they could've used to ride up onto the paving with.

4) Practice it where noone else is watching first ... (school carparks on weekends, shopping centre carparks at night, etc.)

Or, depending on the local council laws (dont try this in city of perth ), just take a whole cage bay. Also dont forget that parking on the sidewalks here in WA is illegal.

Comment

Most Kerbs can be just ridden up onto, albeit at a slow speed!

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo@Jan 11 2006, 07:51 AM
        2) Try standing up on the pegs when going over the bump, allows you to move your weight around a lot easier and your kees double as extra suspension to take the shock outa ya torso/arms and maintain control of the bike.
        [snapback]212759[/snapback]
        :o fair enough over speed bumps, pot holes etc, but I would hate to try that one on a road bike riding up a curb. Would definetely end up in tears for me

More often than not, there is a ramp somewhere, or a driveway a few metres away or something. If not, be very careful, slow and steady, dropping your bike on a curb = $$$$.

Be careful in regard to the height of the bike as well. The duke might be ok, but I've seen some people sit on GSXR's and R1's etc and be on thier tippy toes at a stop, once the front goes up the curb, and you decide you need a breather and stop for a second, the bike clearance is a good 10cm more (where your feet are anyway), could end in tears, as well as being damn funny to watch .
        If life is a journey to death, then i want to just barely make it... skidding in sideways out of gas with smoke rolling from the motor on two bald tires, still drunk from last night and still owing everyone money!!!

Comment

I do it at the gym, bikes are allowed to park near the front door so I have to climb one of those big box curbs. Done it with both my bikes with enough clearance (and theres other bikes that do it too, zx10, other gsxrs, vtr250, blah).

I just ride up so the front wheels touching the kerb, give it a bit of stick and slip the clutch until the front wheel pops up over the kerb, roll forward until the back tyre touches the kerb, and do the same.

P.S. I've used both my bikes, gsxr750 and zx2r

Comment

if youve ever driven a car onto blocks (or im my case bricks), or up a curb, its a very similar concept... just dont do it on an angle to the curb
            Quote Originally Posted by GsxInShed
            So it seems there IS a command file code in windows/microsoft updater that pings small lines of to-fro data.. like a cookie to allow/refresh 'critical updates'
            It also serves as a portal for clever code writers to embed 'dormant till pinged'.....ransomware...I love tech....amidointhisrite..?

Fess up who hacked GSX's account? This post was perfectly readable in every way

Comment

SPEED!!!! The faster you approach the curb the further into your parking spot you will be able to get.
              Trying to think of a wise and sincere signature quote, but the only words that leap to mind are, "TITTY SPRINKLES"

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1@Jan 11 2006, 12:56 PM
                SPEED!!!! The faster you approach the curb the further into your parking spot you will be able to get.
                [snapback]212953[/snapback]
                dont be a idiot ok. thats not all there is too it.

now everyone knows that the higher you have your front wheel off the ground is equally important.

(just get 90degrees to the curb and get a bit of a run up and ull be right.. if its a square curb push against it then ride the clutch up)
                Now my guns are blazin' Bloodclot i can see 360

Comment

Start from a foot or two from the kerb and slip the clutch to get a bit of a run up. When the front has hit the curb that's my cue to pull in the clutch and let the momentum of the bike do the rest. Keep it rolling and when the back wheel is about to hit the kerb, let out the clutch to give it some drive up the kerb.

The two key things are approach from straight on and maintain momentum. The major mistake is butting the wheels hard up against the kerb and then trying to ride up - front wheel can tuck under and the back wheel will just sit there spinning.

To get down a kerb roll very very slowly (ride the front brake) if clearance under the bike is going to be a problem - this is so when the front wheel drops down your forks don't compress and smack the belly of the bike onto the concrete. Or, just ride off if you've got the room to.

there's a knack to it but it's very easy to pick up.

Comment

Im guessing if there is trouble with clearance you could dismount hte bike as well make it lighter, less weight to lift up curb and more clearance heh
                    Now my guns are blazin' Bloodclot i can see 360

Comment

Practice makes perfect. If you feel it get stuck give it more gas cos your gonna drop it for sure.
                      And make sure if you got a pillion they dont think youve stopped and jump of cos youll go down, as has happened. Yes i was angry and swore in front of little children, may god have mercy. <_<

Comment

Originally posted by TurboR1@Jan 11 2006, 12:56 PM
                        [snapback]212953[/snapback]

Good advice...might try that one day
                        It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Comment

The no 1 concern is to get the tyre square on to the curb, though you will probably be able to save it if it slides down the face of the curb you don&#39;t want to look like a dick do you.

For your duke id probably just give it some revs and slowly release the clutch until it gets the front wheel up. Importantly don&#39;t just gun it up when you get the front wheel up, the suspension may compress and drop the underside of your bike closer to the curb, just roll forward till you know you have cleared it then run the back wheel up, you can need a couple of kph for the rear wheel if it&#39;s steep.

If you have a bike that has poor front end clearance like mine

You need to walk the front end up slowly so the lip on the fairing doesn&#39;t collect the curb and cost you 800euro. I have to put my feet down to decompress the suspension on most box curbs and some speed humps. I have seriously considered putting some sort of skid protection on the belly pan because it gets such a hiding.
                          <div align="center">
                          "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Comment

Originally posted by Rod@Jan 11 2006, 02:50 PM

back wheel will just sit there spinning.

[snapback]213003[/snapback]
                            instant burnout, easy on the front brakes!! (allegedly)

Comment

Originally posted by leezxr@Jan 11 2006, 10:26 AM
                              I do it at the gym, bikes are allowed to park near the front door so I have to climb one of those big box curbs. Done it with both my bikes with enough clearance (and theres other bikes that do it too, zx10, other gsxrs, vtr250, blah).

I just ride up so the front wheels touching the kerb, give it a bit of stick and slip the clutch until the front wheel pops up over the kerb, roll forward until the back tyre touches the kerb, and do the same.

P.S. I&#39;ve used both my bikes, gsxr750 and zx2r
                              [snapback]212845[/snapback]
                              Perfect example mate, check down the end of the walkway at zest and there is a nice convenient little ramp which i use, as my zx10 doesent have the clearance to mount and dismount the curb without scraping

Comment

Working...
                              X