Lanesplitting in the media

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanesplitting in the media

Picked up a copy of this months MOTOR magazine, towards the back Mr Morley wrote a rather evenhanded article about lanesplitting.

In it he makes not of a distinction between chopping between lanes of moving cars and lanesplitting cars that are stationary at traffic lights. He goes on to say how there is a new law coming in banning lanesplitting and airs his views on why he believes lanesplitting is no more dangerous than sitting at the lights in traffic.

Sorry i have no scanner so i cant stick up the article, but you could always go and buy a copy of MOTOR magazine, its got a good article on the nurburgring

Try not to whore this thead out with your personal views on lanesplitting, but it is good to see some "positive" light being shed on us motorcyclists.

Use your digital camera, it's comparable to a cheap scanner if used with proper lighting
    http://www.internetblackout.com.au/

Comment

http://mraa.org.au/forum/modules/news/arti...php?storyid=189

Media Release : Motorcycle Riders Association calls for Legalisation of Lane Splitting
      Posted by ausgnome on 10/Jan/2006 23:01:38 (116 reads)

The Motorcycle Riders Association of Australia (MRAA) today called upon the National Transport Commission to withdraw their recommendation to ban lane splitting by motorcycles.

The MRAA has identified that there is no evidence that this practice is unsafe based upon available research and statistics.

Some of the anti-lane filtering approach by regulators appears to stem from an attitude that motorcyclists should “wait their turn” and “be treated like other traffic”.

To date, 59 submissions have been received by the NTC on this issue. No submission to date has been in favour of the NTC’s proposed changes to the Australian Road Regulations.

Numerous overseas jurisdictions have either explicitly moved to legalise lane splitting or are in the process of doing so. Among these jurisdictions are the UK (it is explicitly recommended in the UK Highway Code) and the Netherlands which have produced sensible guidelines for the practice.

California has legalised lane splitting at all legal speeds on freeways and their experience has shown that there are no specific safety issues involved.

The MRAA maintains that to make this accepted practice illegal would not only increase congestion but also reduce the safety of motorcyclists. The attached fact sheet gives further information and references to support this argument.

For further information on this matter please contact John Karmouche at lanesplitting@mraa.org.au or on 03 9877 3004.

So that they may see it from a motorcyclist’s point of view, John is prepared to take any interested journalist for a ride to demonstrate the safety and benefits of this practice.

Dated 10 January 2006

Comment

hows this bugger's form, the reply to the original posting

[quote]
        Poster
        Anonymous
        Posted: 11/01/2006 8:02 Updated: 11/01/2006 12:33
        Re: Motorcycle Riders Association calls for Legalisation ...
        Im not sure why the MRAA is against this legislation. It is already illegal in Queensland, by default (i.e. 2 vehicles are not allowed in the same lane etc...). I believe lane splitting is rediculous and should be enforceable as an offence! If there is one rule for all then it has to be banned! Riding a bike doesnt give anyone rights to ignore basic safety and road rules! I ride and have done for years but i wont lane split for 2 reasons: firstly it is too dangerous to pass traffic that close - most drivers dont see bikes at the best of times, but when they are moving faster than the rest of traffic and passing so close the are less visable; Secondly - lane splitting infuriates many drivers and promotes aggressive driving and aggressive attitudes to rders - and what does that do!?

I believe the MRAA should be promoting safe road practices not actions that are irresponsible and problematic! The MRAA should be promoting patience on the roads by riders!!

[end quote]

sounds more like a cagers gotten wind of this and has to have a whinge rather than a riders reply, mabye it is a rider and he rides a slowarse rusted old cruiser thats too wide and too slow

*edit*
        sorry to anyone i upset over my reply (but it still stands), it wasnt a dig at people that dont split/filter its your choice not mine or any one else&#39;s (i also don&#39;t care if anyone chooses not too), i was pieved that a person who rides can reply stating its so dangerous and should be outlawed etc, actually after a re-read of the reply it seems he/she is in queensland where it&#39;s already illegal, perhaps they can&#39;t so no-one else should <_<

Comment

cool

morely is a fucking champ period

sticks up for teh motor enthusiast

much better than SM
          RIP Scott!
          RIP Onikage!
          RIP ODDZ!

Comment

Morley does a bit of testing for AMCN has a 1150GS in his garage, member of a bike club who&#39;s name escapes me which inludes Jermery Boldwer sp? Two Wheels editor and a few others of similar ilk, he also used to host the transport section on the move think it was called of the ABC&#39;s lifestyle experiment at 6:00pm couple of years ago. Put it this way he isn&#39;t simply a cage journo.
            Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

sounds more like a cagers gotten wind of this and has to have a whinge rather than a riders reply, mabye it is a rider and he rides a slowarse rusted old cruiser thats too wide and too slow
              depends on whether he actually means lane "splitting" or lane "filtering". i agree that splitting is dangerous,but dont think filtering is if done sensibly(hmmm, maybe the zx12 is considered a slowarse rusted old cruiser?). but it does promote some stupid behaviour from cagers, had two just this morning who thought that if i "filter" past them, they should be able to come up and sit in the same lane as me - right next to me. and it&#39;s not like they were next to me the whole time, they had to catch up first.
              "I think she's kinda sweet...but she makes her living catching cum in her mouth and i'm sensing that's a problem with you"

Comment

Originally posted by chief wiggum@Jan 11 2006, 10:30 PM
                but it does promote some stupid behaviour from cagers, had two just this morning who thought that if i "filter" past them, they should be able to come up and sit in the same lane as me - right next to me. and it&#39;s not like they were next to me the whole time, they had to catch up first.

The media emphasis needs to be on cagers understanding that we&#39;re not racing them, we just want to get to that sweet spot out the front with no traffic because we are scared of being boxed in and killed. It&#39;s public attitude that makes it dangerous, not the act itself.

There will be a discussion at the Cap Stirling this sat for anyone who is interested.
                <div align="center">
                "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Comment

Originally posted by Nero Diablo@Jan 11 2006, 10:09 PM
                  Morley does a bit of testing for AMCN has a 1150GS in his garage, member of a bike club who&#39;s name escapes me which inludes Jermery Boldwer sp? Two Wheels editor and a few others of similar ilk, he also used to host the transport section on the move think it was called of the ABC&#39;s lifestyle experiment at 6:00pm couple of years ago. Put it this way he isn&#39;t simply a cage journo.
                  [snapback]213282[/snapback]
                  Yeah the other month, he was "complaining" about how he used to ride a CBR900 and thought it was "too powerful". Now 10 years later they have a bike thats 50% more powerful and lighter still

(an article highlighting technological advancements)

Comment

The MOTOR article

Comment

Oh come on, you cant post it that small! I can&#39;t read that shit!

Comment

Could you please post a link to a bigger piccie .. I would love to read that one.
                        Some say he eats sidchrome for breakfast

Some say he only showers on even days of the week

Some say he put an R1 motor in a coffee machine

All we know is he's Hewie.

Comment

-mods delete if you feel it is irrelevant-

got done for crossing the centre line at a set of traffic lights by and undercover car, $100 and 2 points, while lane filtering. pulled in behind the first row of cars as the lights changed and had t o reposition as car in front started to drift across lane so took evasive action. seems the police will do anything to try and enforce a non-existent law, not yet existent anyway.
                          in the latest AMCN there is a lot of talk on it with some points on equality being raised as well. if a car isn&#39;t physically able to lane filter then we&#39;ll ban it for any vehicle that can, so its fair on everyone. as a courier it makes my job redundant as thats how i get through heavy traffinc in the city

woody

Comment

Originally posted by woody@Jan 13 2006, 12:57 PM

got done for crossing the centre line at a set of traffic lights by and undercover car, $100 and 2 points, while lane filtering. pulled in behind the first row of cars as the lights changed and had t o reposition as car in front started to drift across lane so took evasive action. seems the police will do anything to try and enforce a non-existent law, not yet existent anyway.

woody
                            [snapback]214158[/snapback]
                            Crossing a solid white line is, and always has been illegal.

Lane filtering is still legal so long as you do not cross the solid white line, there are numerous posts on this in the forum.

If you feel you were pushed over the line by a cage go and have your day in court
                            I am the old bloke on the black and yellow cbr1krr

Comment

For those who wanted the bigger picture...

Comment

Working...
                              X