Start a bike safety focus group?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Start a bike safety focus group?

I'm sick of pollies and Grant Dorrington telling everyone that riding a bike is akin to clubbing fur seals!

I have been meaning to do something about it for a while, a smallish focus group that discusses bike safety. Primarily I thought about the idea to get some research done into bike safety as there is tragically little around. I have a practically endless supply of medical students that must do research into something. Most of the student research is done in the most boring fields around, which makes for sad med students. I've thrown out the idea of some appropriately targeted research that will answer questions that the motorcycling community want answered. I have had a great response by some of the guys. The research, though not being the greatest stuff around, is supervised by uni staff who are public health/stats trained, so when it is finished it holds up very well to any scrutiny. This makes it relevant research that can be submitted to govts and can be used to straighten up misconceptions about the bike riding community.

The idea is to use the forum to gather data (god ok'd). Having easy to access web based survey things that have the ability to battle Michelle Roberts and Grant Dorrington’s lies. If we take part in valid research we are no longer just an interest group out to get what’s best for us.

I wanted to start with lanesplitting, something I think is safe and it seems 95.8% of you agree (those who weren’t confused by my question). Now the submissions to the powers that be close on the 20th, so I thought I’d better do something now.

So I propose as many people that are interested come along this Sat 14th to the Captain Stirling (Stirling hwy Nedlands) between 3 and 5pm. I want to word a good legit submission to them and then try and do a very speedy survey that can tell them why 95.8% of us think it's a good idea. Feel free to come along late or leave early, it won't be a greatly regimented timetable or anything. I'd like as much input from as many people as possible so if you only have 1/2 hr to spare that's fine.

I'd be very appreciative if someone computer literate enough to make a tick box web survey could come along. Cause I have absolutely no idea.

Any takers?

I'd also be happy to spend between 5-6pm discussing head injuries and the helmet data that is available. Similarly come late or leave early if you have other arrangements, or just get bored.
    <div align="center">
    "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Not trying to whore the thread, but maybe the Alpacca run could finish at the Captain Stirling....Steve (Tigerleo62)?
    Originally posted by Viper
    I'm probably fucking something up.
    FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
    Administrator

Comment

While I don&#39;t want to curb your ethusiasim the MRAWA went throught this little caper couple of years ago. I can&#39;t find a direct link to it but there are a couple of other acticles from various places towards the bottom of this page MRAWA If you have the time I suggest you at least attend one of thier meetings. There were some mumblings about getting something done within PSB but after the intial contact it seems to have sunk without a trace.
      Harvey community radio has a motorcycling show listen over the web here www.harveycommunityradio.com.au ,Facebook here http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Mo...34691323302991 yes I am the goose that hosts it.

Comment

Not sure if it&#39;s relevant, but RE the lanesplitting proposals, would the government not have a duty of care to all road users that prevents them from passing a law that encourages unsafe behaviours over others that may be currently practised which in general are inherently less dangerous?

If enough data were gathered regarding accidents involving motorcycles in stationary or slow moving traffic, and the causes of these accidents, I feel that there might be a statistically sound case for this particular application to be withdrawn, or appealed should it be passed.

The general consensus seems to be that you&#39;re more likely to be in an accident (regardless of severity) at the rear of a line of cars facing a red light, than you are if you were to move to the front of the said line of cars and move off quickly.

RE the web survey: Might be able to do it, but has been a long time, so I might be a fall-back option if anyone else doesn&#39;t step-up for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by FJ Steve@Jan 11 2006, 10:41 PM
          Not trying to whore the thread, but maybe the Alpacca run could finish at the Captain Stirling....Steve (Tigerleo62)?
          [snapback]213305[/snapback]
          Yeah I guess - however the last few Alpaca Runs have basically turned into a ride down to lunch and most people split and find their own way home after that - which is how I am now basically going to treat that ride...

I guess if anyone on the ride on Saturday wanted to meet with the Doc we could organise a route to the Captain Stirling - but we wouldn&#39;t get there till 3:00ish at the earliest. I&#39;m easy - I mean: I am willing to organise this an outcome to the hills ride on Saturday if others are keen
          I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

The MRAWA would be great to get on board however it would be a lot easier to collect the data straight from here, and do the contact and discussion on here. I can’t even reach the MRAWA guy on the phone and getting a survey done in 7 days is a bit tougher than checking your answering machine. A 5 min survey online while you are ogling the latest MV special edition would be piss easy for us, the MRAWA would have some trouble I think. Not dissing them, they do a great job, but I&#39;d like to do it through PSB and the uni, that’s one to many partners already.

Jonchilds, you seem to have done this before (or do you always talk like that?) It&#39;d be great to have you help, the survey doesn&#39;t need to be pretty, if you can help that&#39;d be great.

Tigerleo/FJsteve, Ask and ye shall receive.
            <div align="center">
            "Yes, so we will return to racing - but we must win. You can’t be second with MV. It’s impossible to be second with MV Agusta."Castiglioni</div>

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Evil@Jan 11 2006, 11:08 PM
              Tigerleo/FJsteve, sorry i didn&#39;t know it alpacas was lunch thing, I read your thread and saw 1-200 km so thought the time&#39;d be OK, I could push it back another hour if you llama lovers are very keen?
              [snapback]213324[/snapback]
              We don&#39;t get down to lunch at Armadale until after 1:00 - allowing an hour for lunch would mean leaving around 2 getting to Nedlands by 3ish

Comment

This lanesplitting / filtering issue is something that I am very interested in doing something about. I sent a PM to Rooster asking for ideas as to what we can do about it.

I would love to attend your meeting, but I do not finish work until 2.30pm, usually get out of the office about 2.45. Work in Freo. If I high tail it down there, would you be willing to catch me up on what happened at the meeting.

Any chance of having the meeting later in the afternoon?

It has also been suggested to me to bring up the issue with the ADTA (Australian Drivers Training Association) at the next meeting at the end of the month. They usually get consulted with rule changes or proposals and have the opportunity to put forth their views. I&#39;m not sure if this is something that the ADTA would take on, but it can&#39;t hurt to ask.

Comment

Ok, try 5 years since I did the last one - when I was 16! But I&#39;ll give it another go, since most of this stuff is just piecing together code. I&#39;ll try my best to throw something together tomorrow night.

I&#39;ve not done anything like this before, but I&#39;ve got the better part of a science degree under my belt which has pretty much taught me how to talk my way around a question to get the desired response

There have been 59 submissions so far regarding the lane splitting proposals, with none in favour of the law being passed. I would expect atleast several of them to be well worded and thoughtfully crafted. I would&#39;nt expect the propasal to pass at this stage if those considering it approached the matter objectively - being humans, in a position of power makes this less likely.

Comment

3-5 Ok? i&#39;ve changed it already so it better be ok
                    <div align="center">

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Evil@Jan 11 2006, 11:21 PM
                      3-5 Ok? i&#39;ve changed it already so it better be ok
                      [snapback]213337[/snapback]
                      Yeah, Doc, 3 to 5 is cool

Ok - I will post something into the Alpaca Run thread tomorrow (Thursday) about this so that those willing to come are prepared.

Good stuff, Doc - let&#39;s see what we can do from this discussion

BTW: Suppose it puts back (I see it has) your helmet discussion on Saturday as well which I am also keen to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerleo62@Jan 11 2006, 11:29 PM
                        BTW: Suppose it puts back (I see it has) your helmet discussion on Saturday as well which I am also keen to attend.
                        It&#39;s ok, the ladies can wait
                        <div align="center">

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Evil@Jan 11 2006, 11:31 PM
                          It&#39;s ok, the ladies can wait
                          [snapback]213345[/snapback]
                          You mean there are Ladies waiting for me??? Cool

Comment

Just a (serious) thought:

Would be good to get some of the Kitchen Crew in on the meeting - it would be beneficial to get represenation from female riders as no doubt the general population would not believe female riders to be &#39;hoons&#39;.

I have heard that some of the Kitchen crew are doing a &#39;girly&#39; lunch ride on Saturday somewhere in the greater metro area - perhaps if those interested were also able to meet us on Saturday at 3:00 in Nedlands as well? If anyone from The Kitchen is reading this?

Comment

This is a good cause to be sure, but at the risk of sounding like a wet blanket, I am wondering if submitting the results of such a survey or study would do much to change the minds of the powers that be?
                              From what I have read, this issue has had alot of publicity and feedback and other groups may be thinking of the something similar...it is unfortunate that Dr Evil could not reach the MRAWA people.
                              My humble opinion, this issue may be strengthened by having more motorbike bodies involved working towards the same direction
                              Please note...this post is not meant in jest or in a shed in a negative light
                              It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Comment

Working...
                              X