Letter to the minister

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter to the minister

I wrote to the minister a while ago (thought I'd posted about it here too but can't find the thread) regarding the new speed cameras and safety and such.
    My comments were generally along the lines that there are much greater safety concerns to motorcyclists that speeding; namely breaches of other road rules by other road users.

Today I received a response from the minister (I wrote the original letter several weeks ago) and thought I'd share it with you all:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your concerns about the safety of motorcycle drivers. Please accept my apology for the delay in response while advice was sought from the Western Australia Police.

The Western Australia Police advise that while they acknowledge the use of speed cameras is not the sole solution to improved road safety, these cameras are considered to be an essential part of a wider strategy to advance road safety in Western Australia.* As you can appreciate, regardless of the cause of a crash, the impact force and subsequent injuries are directly related to the speed of the vehicle or vehicles.* Therefore, by reducing the speed of all motor vehicles, it is anticipated that the severity of injuries will be significantly reduced.*

The Police also acknowledge that other motorists’ errant driving behaviour is of concern to motorcycle riders and to address this issue Police actively enforce road laws when a breach is observed.*

Please be assured the Gallop Government and the Western Australia Police are strongly committed to the enhancement of road safety.* In line with this commitment there has been a significant increase in road safety enforcement, including the formation of specific police units, such as the Traffic Enforcement Group that has seen an average of 75 per cent increase in traffic patrol hours on our freeways, arterial roads and highways.

With reference to the use of advertising campaigns to educate the public on this matter, it should be noted that advertising campaigns are considered by the Gallop Government as a highly valuable tool in increasing public awareness of road safety and the Office of Road Safety is continually evaluating the scope and effectiveness of such campaigns.*

Thank you for your suggestions and your interest in road safety.* I trust this information clarifies the situation.

Yours sincerely

HON MICHELLE ROBERTS MLA
    MINISTER FOR POLICE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES
    Meow.

I dunno about u guys, but all I read was blah, blah, blah,blah errant driving behaviour blah, blah the Gallop Government blah, road safety awareness blaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!<_< How bout freaking doing Bike Awareness campaigns!??

Fastgir1
    Originally posted by Red_is_Best
    hahah I hate it when they do that and you make some noises like you had it done just last year, then they give you that look, like you are a bad vagina owner and you should take better care of it!

Comment

Originally posted by fastgir1@Jan 12 2006, 03:22 PM
      I dunno about u guys, but all I read was blah, blah, blah,blah* errant driving behaviour blah, blah the Gallop Government blah, road safety awareness blaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!<_< How bout freaking doing Bike Awareness campaigns!??

Fastgir1
      [snapback]213659[/snapback]

^^^WSS^^^

Comment

Interesting they actually replied but not really saying anything as usual,
        "we do this and that, we are better than the other lot".
        Just wondering how long ago did you send it?

Comment

Yeah, that&#39;s largely what I read too.
          I didn&#39;t like the part about
          The Police also acknowledge that other motorists’ errant driving behaviour is of concern to motorcycle riders and to address this issue Police actively enforce road laws when a breach is observed.*
          either. I&#39;ve never seen a cop pull someone over, let alone fine them for breaches such as lange changing without indicating, in fact I&#39;ve seen a fair share of cop cars doing this.
          Meow.

Comment

What concerns me is that there was nothing to say "In response to your letter, we acknowledge the safety concerns and will be looking at doing such and such to help resolve such matters" instead all I read is "We think we&#39;re doing a good enough job and this is why".

I guess I was half expecting to hear something like "We&#39;re aware of the motorcyclist concerns and have been preparing a new compaign which will be released in the next 3 months" or something, but I guess that was just me being naive.

eXume, I sent the original letter some weeks ago.
            Meow.

Comment

Good on you for writing to the Minister, what was your letter concerning? Were your concerns addressed??
              I am with fastgir1, what does the letter actually say??
              It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.

Comment

the letter is more or less saying "suck it up big boy... dont waste my time cause you are a motorcyclist & i dont give a shit about you lunatics casue you go thru my cash bonus machines at 243kmh & i cant book you for it"

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle Fucking Roberts@Jan 12 2006, 03:11 PM
                  The Western Australia Police advise that while they acknowledge the use of speed cameras is not the sole solution to improved road safety, these cameras are considered to be an essential part of a wider strategy to advance road safety in Western Australia.* As you can appreciate, regardless of the cause of a crash, the impact force and subsequent injuries are directly related to the speed of the vehicle or vehicles.* Therefore, by reducing the speed of all motor vehicles, it is anticipated that the severity of injuries will be significantly reduced.*

[snapback]213649[/snapback]

This is what pisses me off. Sure, she has acknowledged that speed is what can cause a lot of accidents... let me try this:

I&#39;ll throw her off a bike at 90km/h and let her slide down the road. Then we&#39;ll compare it to me throwing her off a bike at 60km/h but her flying straight into a pillar or how about a wire barrier. Lets see which she will prefer.

The government has been putting these god damn dangerous islands down most roads now which will fit them and IMO, it&#39;s fricken stupid and deadly to motorcyclists. I&#39;d rather have the chance of sliding down the road than sliding into one of those things. Same goes for those "cheese grater" wire barriers on the freeway. If they believe so strongly that speed in hitting things is an issue, then don&#39;t put more god damn obsticles on our roads which can cause harm.

Dumb bitch can&#39;t have it both ways! And yes, I know that she&#39;ll argue that vehicles might lose control and travel down the other side of the street... well it&#39;s not that often in suburban streets that there are vehicles travelling on opposite sides at the exact same time. I&#39;d rather take my chances with that than a bunch of poles that are calling my name.
                  Right now Im having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think Ive forgotten this before.

Comment

similar to responses i have had from michelle roberts, saying as little as possible in as many words as possible.
                    Originally posted by Friedrich Hayek
                    "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design."

Comment

Originally posted by dr00@Jan 12 2006, 04:05 PM
                      similar to responses i have had from michelle roberts, saying as little as possible in as many words as possible.*
                      [snapback]213691[/snapback]
                      Thats because she didnt write it, the government employs speech writers, they give them jobs like this in there free time.
                      My Turbo Build

Thanks to Sponsors:
                      Motorcycle Panel & Paint
                      Q-Zar Fremantle
                      Rated-R Parts
                      PerthStreetBikes.com and it's generous members
                      Carlisle Printing - Deals for PSB members
                      CIC - Competition & Industrial Coatings
                      Carpet Liquidators - Midland

Comment

Originally posted by eXume@Jan 12 2006, 03:25 PM
                        Interesting they actually replied but not really saying anything as usual,
                        "we do this and that, we are better than the other lot".
                        Just wondering how long ago did you send it?
                        [snapback]213661[/snapback]
                        If you write to any minister they will (see have to) reply, the reply may come from a lower manager (it will have their name on it though), and it may be 8 weeks later, but they will reply

Comment

i too see a whole lot of nothing, basically she doesnt give a toss and they will keep doing what they want and how they want and other opinions won&#39;t be heard

i&#39;m still surprised that when she got done for DD nothing come of it, i&#39;m sorry but how can you let someone who clearly doesnt care for the rules herself be in charge of anything let alone road safety

if they&#39;re doing such a bang up job then why do we still have the high level of fatalities and injuries, about time someone else was in charge

we need someone who DOES care about its people

Comment

its probably a dead end trying to write to her
                            shes got a old heap of oldies that are not up to date with how things work and have the attitude that all motorcyclists should be charged etc etc

Comment

so everyone drives shitty, oh well , so long as they go slow

why not make the speed limits 20 and then we can all crash into whatever the hell we want and it wont matter, limit all cars to 20k&#39;s and we wont even need drivers licenses anymore.

?

stupid example but really... its a stupid situation.
                              Now my guns are blazin&#39; Bloodclot i can see 360

Comment

Working...
                              X