Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSB Voice Coms?

PSB Voice Coms?

In the constant quest to provide you with better ways to communicate, I wanted to ask if anyone would make use of a voice communications channel for PSB.

PSB has access to a Perth based Team Speak server. So long as you have a microphone and speakers (or headset and mike) you can download a small program called TeamSpeak and then chat verbally to other PSB folk in the PSB Team Speak channel. Kinda your own private internet radio station. This program runs in the backround of anything else you may be doing online and is a free download an very easy to use for the geekless.

Do you think you would use such a thing?

If the votes are for it then it can be online within hours with a tutorial thread on how to set it up on your system.

Deej
    Yup, I would give it a go and like the idea.
    0%
    No way I would use it, crap idea.
    0%
    I could be tempted and would entertain the thought.
    0%

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Just wondering why we would use this when we already have msn ?

It could certainly be entertaining though, although I can also see 3 zillion people talking over the top of each other on the internet ...

Trial it, will be fun!

Comment

Yeh good point but I am not familiar with MSN myself. Difference I think would be that many people can communicate, listen in, comment on, the same channel. Where as i think MSN is just two way coms between two people?

Anyway, could be worth a shot.

So on the eight day, after wasting time faffing about with unimportant guff like heaven & earth & the waters & sky & creatures [& having a wee kip] & man.... God created PSB (GenesiSX-R1000)

Comment

imho, i think its worth a trial run deej.....would help to hear some aussie voices when im here in china working....

FYI....msn can have multi person voice chat, but only those you invite to the chat...and anyway skype is much better quality....

Comment

I have used "Teamspeak" in a Yacht Club (Worldwide) that I am involved with. They use it for social interaction as well as during competitions...works very well.

Go for it.

Steve
          Originally posted by Viper
          I'm probably fucking something up.
          FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
          Administrator

Comment

would ber interesting to give it a go. lots of people in the one channel could be wierd have used it for gaming b4 8 people that dont shut up but could be worth a shot

Comment

Sounds interesting. If it doesn't cost you (deej) too much, then give it a trial period and see how it goes.

Can you also talk one on one?

It might reduce some of the conversational posts where people discuss something back and forth over a number of posts. Don't know if that is a good thing or bad.

I have learned quite a bit in my time here from reading other peoples posts, whether it be gossip, news flash's, or technical info etc. Would hate to see some of the useful info that gets posted end up in non-recorded voice conversations that you cannot go back and have a look at, and therefore is not available to the wider PSB Community.

Comment

Originally posted by Deej@Jan 15 2006, 02:16 AM
                Yeh good point but I am not familiar with MSN myself.* Difference I think would be that many people can communicate, listen in, comment on, the same channel.* Where as i think MSN is just two way coms between two people?

Anyway, could be worth a shot.
                [snapback]214833[/snapback]

You could set up a dedicated psb irc chatroom?

I don't know much about them, but I know other forums i'm on have them.....just a thought, not a thread hijack.

Comment

What a great idea.
                  sigpic

Comment

If it's Chat you want as in IRC (text) goto irc.ii.net (or au.austnet.org) and join the channel #perthstreetbikes

Always someone in there to talk too.
                    You will need to download mIRC

Channel Creation: Mon Oct 21 13:40:45 2002 AWST (Have I really been Idle for 3yrs+)

Comment

tried that dj...but all I got was "You are not authorized to view this page
                      You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied."

Any ideas?

Steve
                      Originally posted by Viper
                      I'm probably fucking something up.
                      FOREVER RIDING WITH "DAVO" - FarRider #1

http://forum.fjr13.org/index.php
                      Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Lester@Jan 15 2006, 09:28 AM
                        I have learned quite a bit in my time here from reading other peoples posts, whether it be gossip, news flash's, or techical info etc.* Would hate to see some of the useful info that gets posted end up in non-recorded voice conversations that you cannot go back and have a look at, and therefore is not available to the wider PSB Community.
                        [snapback]214872[/snapback]
                        This is a good point - we might find that people start asking the same questions over and over again as it has not been 'recorded' as text.
                        I can't think what more you could possibly need to know... except maybe this:

Comment

Originally posted by tigerleo62@Jan 15 2006, 12:32 PM
                          This is a good point - we might find that people start asking the same questions over and over again as it has not been 'recorded' as text.*
                          [snapback]214941[/snapback]
                          I voted yes, but tigerleo and lester have a point... its much better to have info recorded so that we can always go back and search to view certain topics at any time...

Comment

I voted no, reasons:

a. If you wanted to get together to have a chat, it's real easy, we're (almost) all in the same city, hop on your bike, car, bus, mum or whatever you enjoy riding and meet somewhere, then you can have a chat over a beer, coffee, blood of a young virgin

b. If you really need to talk to someone, get their number and use the phone

I'm sure everyone is appreciates you asking Deej, but I just can't see many people making use of it (any more than a couple of times), which results in a waste of your resources, time/money etc.

2 cents

Comment

I agree with Snowman.....

Even though I do not understand all the factors involving this 'radio station' I believe that the best thing about this site is that we let our talking happen in person on or after a ride... Isn't that what its all about? I also look at things lately that have gone down the gurgler because of a lot of interest from many but it comes to crunch, no one follows through... This not only ruins it for the people that would actually use the resource/privilege but it also puts you out of pocket Deej...

At the moment in my limited understanding of the whole idea, I vote no... But maybe greater clarification and a trial may change my mind...

Comment

Working...
                              X